They were not Star players, but enjoyed watching them.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1966 vintage here, my first grand final i attended was 1979 when we was fuggen ROBBED by that little prick Greg Hartley(i think).
Most players i rate have been mentioned including Jason Williams he was bloody good and better than ever got rated.Robbo too what a legend and had no fear, my old man had some work association with him as he was a truckie and reckons he was quiet as a mouse and a top bloke.
Although not underrated i loved Crackers, met him a few times at the leagues club good bloke and back in the day a big bastard for a centre.He smashed wide running forwards for fun...
Yes it was Hartley. I remember the 79 GF it was the first time I cried over a footy match. That first try for St George was over a metre forward which ended up being the difference. Rex Mossop called it too.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt Ryan. A very under rated player, he had good pace, strength and ball skills. I think he's the best centre we had in the 90's.
Robert Relf - who could forget that magic pass to Silva that started the legendary comeback in the 98 GF qualifier?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
SH was great to watch, and his Mum running onto the field at Belmore when he stayed down (this happened at least twice as I recall) was fantastic. Doesn't seem like all that long ago but how things have changed since the good old suburban ground days. Imagine if someones mum tried to run on the field these days at Suncorp or ANZ, she'd get crash tackled by security
One time his mum ran onto the field was against the Gold Coast Chargers if I recall correctly!

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
He used to be one of my favourite players, then i met him and the family in their home town. Not the nicest of families......
I met him years ago after he’d retired , he was blind in the back of the Mollymook Bowling club courtesy bus. This was after the dogs trial match against raiders. Me and my mates went and camped for a day to watch the game... horrible and wet. So we left and went to the bowlo for beers instead... then later the whole team came in and got on the beers...folkesy was coaching I think? Nate Myles and sonny bill were playing... can’t remember the year.? I met terry lamb that night! One to remember!!!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kyle White was a bit of a liability in defence but when he hit his mark they stayed HIT.
He had no regard for his body or the opposition... I remember him rushing out of the line at will to put on big hits.. as wide as he was tall, a mini-tank.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Loved Robbo . Remember the day when Jack Gibson develop the wall where all the players huddled together hiding the player with the ball. Robbo ran full pelt directly Sterlo knocking him ass over tit, losing the ball in the process. Dogs won the scrum & parra dropped their " the wall".
Has to be one of the funniest set-plays ever that went wrong for the Eels and the fact it was Sterlo getting poleaxed makes it more comical

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
By popular vote, the Dogs great non superstar line up.
The no-name products that was better than the more expensive branded items. In today's players market, most would not tilt the cash register above the $300-$400k. Had to define a non superstar as, no SOO player (excluding super league), not played for their country or won a Richmond/Dally M medal. That left out a lot of great bulldog players mention. The forwards would have been tough, bruising, politically incorrect & would not have been intimidated by any modern day pack.
FB - jason alchin .
W - Gavin lester / Luke Goodwin
C - Matt Ryan / Ben Harris
5/8 Mal Creevy
HB - Craig Pollamonter
L - Simon Gillies
2nd R - Steve Reardon / ROBBOOO...
FR - Barry Ward/Tim Browne
H - Tony Grimaldi
Reserves
Chris Armit.
Steve Hage
Jarrad Hickey,
Solomon Huamono . (Yes he did play 1 test, but he was very popular in the forum.)

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
For me it's players like Simon Gillies who were able to go to another level come finals time.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ben Harris and Jamal Lolesi.

Ben Harris was a safe as a house centre we didn't want to get rid of. I think he left for a misses in Europe. Very underated player that in my opinion was even better when he returned and played for Cowboys.

Lolesi was awesome too. Started on the Wing for us and eventually moved to the centres before getting injured. He would've won a Premiership with us if it wasn't for injury. Lolesi was also out most undervalued player of 2005 too. In a year that got really ugly for us, he was there for a lot of it covering all positions.