They were not Star players, but enjoyed watching them.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solomon Haumono was my fav until he f'ed off
Yes he was mine for a while too. Hit hard in both defence and attack. I remember he knocked himself out while making a tackle once and his mum tried to run on the field from memory. I'm pretty sure I also remember him scoring a terrific solo try where he bumped off 1,2,3,4,5 defenders one at a time

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes he was all class
Jamal Lolesi was pretty good (sadly better then what we have today). He did have some speed. That try against penrith where he changes direction and seems to go faster. Wish Hoppa could do that :p

Sadly too much talent at the time, was competing with Harris, Tonga, Hazem, Utai. Reminds me a bit of Rapana.
He was class. Similar with a great Kiwi winger we had for a while Jason Williams.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simon Gilles is the most underrated Bulldogs player to ever wear the jersey.
Gilles was so good for us in 1995... it was Lamb's swansong, and the team was ripped apart by the Super League War with the Big 4 signing with the Eels which meant Gilles did not get the plaudits he deserved

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Solomon Haumono was my fav until he f'ed off
Yes he was mine for a while too. Hit hard in both defence and attack. I remember he knocked himself out while making a tackle once and his mum tried to run on the field from memory. I'm pretty sure I also remember him scoring a terrific solo try where he bumped off 1,2,3,4,5 defenders one at a time
SH was great to watch, and his Mum running onto the field at Belmore when he stayed down (this happened at least twice as I recall) was fantastic. Doesn't seem like all that long ago but how things have changed since the good old suburban ground days. Imagine if someones mum tried to run on the field these days at Suncorp or ANZ, she'd get crash tackled by security

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gilles was so good for us in 1995... it was Lamb's swansong, and the team was ripped apart by the Super League War with the Big 4 signing with the Eels which meant Gilles did not get the plaudits he deserved
Reckon he should have gotten the Churchill medal, Dymock played well, but Gillies was on another level

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gary Dowling, Peter Casilles, Mark Bugden, Jason Alchin, Joe Thomas, Brett Dallas. Corey Hughes, Roy Asotasi and Big Soloman.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wish there was a Big hits highlight reel of Darren Britt..He never got the attention he deserved, he smashed every single forward in the game during his time, his technique was brilliant.
Agreed mate, there was a semi we played in the 90’s where we lost but he single-handedly took on the other pack (might have been Wests) and did enormous damage that day, would love to find that game...

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To name a few...
Adam Perry
Peter Kelly
Mark Brokenshire
Kyle White
Joel Romero
James Pickering
Gavin Lester
Duncan McRae
Mitch Newton
Matua Parkinson
Barry Ward
Ben Harris
Geordi Peats
Kyle White was a bit of a liability in defence but when he hit his mark they stayed HIT.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ben Roberts. He copped a lot of flack on here. But he was pretty good at keeping the defence guessing. I think his ability to draw defence and get a pass out to the centre was highly under-rated. He had enough pace to capitolise when the defence assumed he was going to pass and went for the centre.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corey Hughes.. Not the flashiest but got the job done. He changed the game in the preliminary against the Panthers..
fair enough... did miss the tackle on Tupou in the GF which led to the Minichiello try though

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mal Creevey and Willie Talau
How did I forget him...
I will never forget the day he played in all 3 grades against Newtown at Henson park,
He must have set up and scored about 10 tries on that day !

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I remember a game at Belmore probably late 1970s when I was a kid Dogs V Cronulla. Steve Hage was a tough second rower for the Dogs who played for NSW that year I think. A second rower for the Sharks was called Steve Kneen who went on to play for Australia that year (and Kangaroo tour from memory). Kneen was known as a tough nut too. When Hage was playing the ball Kneen gave Hage a bit of a tap across the head. Hage smiled at him. The next time Kneen ran the ball Hage tackled him and I don't know what Hage did but Kneen was carried off on a stretcher. Was funny enough for me to still remember.

Mark Brokenshire was one of the hardest tacklers I ever remember playing for the Dogs. Solomon Haumono, Gillespie, Pay and SBW were pretty good too.

Stan Cutler was about the 3rd best fullback in the comp at one stage. His son (was it Trent) played a few games for us too.

1980 the year we won both the first grade and reserve grade comps. I remember often in reserve grade seeing many many length of the field tries. The reserve grade half Mal Creevy one week scored 3 tries in reserve grade then came on in first grade and scored another 3. A lock forward called Alan Geelan OR Geeland was a real star also. He would almost break tackles at will. Everyone thought he was going to be a superstar but I think he got into the drink from what I read. Ended up playing a few seasons of first grade for Wests but nothing spectacular.
I remember a game against Newton when Steve Hage need Paul Hayward in the nuts. Paul who was a tough nuggety type 5/8 went berserk. Chase Steve off & on ball for the next 20 minutes before being sent off. Hayward was later arrested in Thailand for trafficking heroin.
Agree with Alan Geelong, sensational as a youngster & thought he would develop into a real gun player