News The Tackle: Time for Cameron Ciraldo and Bulldogs to make tough call on Kyle Flanagan

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Manly can arrange a swap with St Merge of 2 of their forwards for Dora, why can’t we offer the Sharks 2 players for one of their players ..

Trindall is stuck in Reggies as Hynes’s back up, surely he’d be open to a money upgrade & full time 1st grade gig, if so would the Sharks really hold him back ?

We can send Flanagan back home as their back up 7 for Hynes, plus Averagefello & we’ll have Braydon Trindall and bring up Skelton ..

Last week Trindall’s stats were .. 80 min, 2 try assists, 73run metres, 2 Iine break assists, 1 x 40/20 & 452 kick metres ..

Flanagans stats were 80 minutes 0 try assists, 24 run metres, 0 line break assists, 0 x 40/20 & 39 kick metres.

A solid 7 with capable skills and a kicking game like that would compliment Burton & Mahoney perfectly and take the pressure off so the club can give KO more time …

The Sharks part time 7 is miles better than our full time 7 .. Trindall has Bulldog written all over him .. !!
Because the Sharks aren't as dumb as the Dragons.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Thats a little dramatic. We were very close today, and are now 2-2. About as good as anyone would have hoped I think.
Dramatic maybe but possible if these issues aren't addressed by Ciro.

Not happy with about as good as anyone would have hoped.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Calm down…

We all agree Flanno doesn’t offer more than being a sound defender for his position and support player, but, there were plenty of things that were poor today, soft tries in particular.

We would see the world differently if Kiraz makes that one on one tackle in the first half or the ref doesn’t savage us… but yeah, we’re super slim pickings on NRL level halves. I’m all for KO, but I’ll go left field on this subject…. Thoughts on Hayze @ 7, Averillo to fb and Skelton to centre?

Alternatively, it has to be KO or Reynolds going off the top 30 options, but geez Reyno’s defence is shady at best.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Calm down…

We all agree Flanno doesn’t offer more than being a sound defender for his position and support player, but, there were plenty of things that were poor today, soft tries in particular.

We would see the world differently if Kiraz makes that one on one tackle in the first half or the ref doesn’t savage us… but yeah, we’re super slim pickings on NRL level halves. I’m all for KO, but I’ll go left field on this subject…. Thoughts on Hayze @ 7, Averillo to fb and Skelton to centre?

Alternatively, it has to be KO or Reynolds going off the top 30 options, but geez Reyno’s defence is shady at best.
Thoughts on Hayze @ 7, Averillo to fb and Skelton to centre?

(Already suggested by Wendog lol)

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were rumours at the time Ben Hunt had a get out clause tied to Griffin. Could be an option down the track with no other decent halves off contract anywhere to be seen. I think he'd bail from there pretty fast if he could and I doubt Griffin lasts the year.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because the Sharks aren't as dumb as the Dragons.
I hear you there, but if we offered Trindall more $$ and a certain 1st grade spot and he was open to it, do you think Sharks would be hard and say no to him ?

Their only argument would be they have no back up 7, if we paid a big chunk of the last of Flano’s contract, surely they’d be open to that ?

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hear you there, but if we offered Trindall more $$ and a certain 1st grade spot and he was open to it, do you think Sharks would be hard and say no to him ?

Their only argument would be they have no back up 7, if we paid a big chunk of the last of Flano’s contract, surely they’d be open to that ?
I just don't think any team that is a chance to win the premiership would give up their back up playmaker who is under contract just in case their primary gets injured.

It would weaken a team. I would say 'release next year' so contingencies can be put into place.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Have you been watching Reggie's?
Yep both KO and Reynolds were average today (looked flat but we also dropped too much ball, gave away the ball too much) but id rather give him a go and lose but give him experience in 1st grade. Just wasting time with Flanagan. Eg lose anyway, at least build for the future. Maybe wait for another 3-4 weeks of conditioning

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kid in Nsw cup ain’t ready if anything Reynolds

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't think any team that is a chance to win the premiership would give up their back up playmaker who is under contract just in case their primary gets injured.

It would weaken a team. I would say 'release next year' so contingencies can be put into place.
Yeah probably but certainly worth a try … Trindall is the solution to our problem if we could nab him ..

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah probably but certainly worth a try … Trindall is the solution to our problem if we could nab him ..
Trindall would definitely be a short term solution. if we could nab him.

But from the Sharks point of view they would be nuts to let him go.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All our props are injured
True... But even so, there are issues... For example, and I was a big supporter of TPJ's signing, but he lacks any sort of concentration or discipline on the field and would seem to have chronic calf issues (per Gus)... Between injuries, suspensions and homesickness, what value have we got out of Thompson? We let Vaughan leave after one year... King can't pass... Sutton lacks impact... Patolo hasn't shown yet that he is up to FG standard... Pele just got here (great name though)

A team is all about the spine and the go forward and the spine is coming together (Burton, Mahoney, Crichton), Oloapu and/or Rajab seem earmarked for the '7' jersey in the future, which leaves the prop rotation

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Can CC make the tough calls or is he everyones friend? Time will tell

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
True... But even so, there are issues... For example, and I was a big supporter of TPJ's signing, but he lacks any sort of concentration or discipline on the field and would seem to have chronic calf issues (per Gus)... Between injuries, suspensions and homesickness, what value have we got out of Thompson? We let Vaughan leave after one year... King can't pass... Sutton lacks impact... Patolo hasn't shown yet that he is up to FG standard... Pele just got here (great name though)

A team is all about the spine and the go forward and the spine is coming together (Burton, Mahoney, Crichton), Oloapu and/or Rajab seem earmarked for the '7' jersey in the future, which leaves the prop rotation
I agree.

We are a work in progress and in 2025 our team will bear little resemblance to the one taking the field now.

TPJ (when fit) is a game changer. FIT being the operative word. This year will determine his future at the club. We should not have let Vaughn leave but that was because of $$$, not his performances. King and Sutton have roles to play but both are being played out of position because of injuries and I think only King has a long term future at the club. I agree with Patolo and with his history of HIAs I can't really see a future for him, and you would hope that Pele will only improve given his age and potential.

There will be better forwards joining us in the coming years, plus the improvement of young guys like Preston.

Our biggest issue is Flanagan. He is a stumbling block that we can't get over. KO and Rajab aren't ready, Reynolds isn't a 7 (but would still be better than Flanagan in my opinion). We need to bide our time.

We are playing the long game for prolonged success but it sucks at the moment because we can see it but just can't quite reach it. YET.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly right, I’ve been saying this for a while, we need new muscle & an alpha prop, the only thing here I disagree with is where you say we let Vaughan go, we didn’t just let him go, he didn’t want to stay, it’s been said many times that he wanted to go and see out his career in England ..

Either way even with him last season we still struggled to get out of our own end ..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Reynolds is erratic as fuck and negative influences the team, his experience is worth absolutely nothing. Look at his game today, literally no one knows wtf he's doing. At one stage he was playing in the halves yet kept rushing into dh for some dh runs. Gets to the 5th tackle and he again darts from dh and panics and throws a nothing ball to no one. He's also can't tackle, like at all. Spent about minutes at hooker yet he made 9 tackled all game and missed half of them. He's shit.
Can see it now Reynolds crabbing sideways forcing Kiraz to only ever be able to run unders lol