The Sydney FC SUPER Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
Sydney names Popovic captain

SYDNEY FC has appointed former Australia defender Tony Popovic as club captain for the coming A-League season.

Popovic, who captained Crystal Palace in the English Premier League during his five seasons with the London club, takes over the Sydney FC captain's armband from fellow central defender Mark Rudan.

Sydney FC coach Branko Culina believes that Popovic, who was captain of the Sydney United side coached by Culina more than a decade ago is the ideal person to lead the team in the coming season.

"Mark has done splendidly over the past two seasons, and will remain an important member of Sydney FC's leadership group," Culina said.

""But Tony's arrival heralds a new era for the club. He's been a terrific leader ever since he captained Sydney United at the age of just 21."

Popovic, who won 58 caps for Australia over 12 years, says that he was honoured to be named Sydney FC captain.

"t's a privilege to be named captain of Sydney FC," he said.

"The club has been lucky to have such a superb leader in Mark for the first two A-League campaigns, and I'm looking forward to working with him and the club's other senior players in the leadership group

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
Milligan also returned to train with Sydney FC.

Birrong Jnr, who lives a couple of streets away from me. well apparently he does.

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
Carney says he won't be back

SYDNEY FC midfield player David Carney flew out of Sydney last night bound for England, vowing he wouldn't return.

While Sydney FC chief executive George Perry told Carney he was free to talk to Sheffield United, the A-League crowd favourite has already agreed a three-year deal with the Championship team.

"There was interest from (English) Premier League clubs but the big reason that I chose Sheffield United is that the club is ambitious and (manager) Bryan Robson has shown faith in my ability," Carney said.

"He followed my performances at the Asian Cup. He prefers me as a creative player rather than as a defender."

Australia coach Graham Arnold used Carney in the left wing-back role in the Asian Cup matches against Thailand and Japan.

Sydney-born Carney was only 16 when he first left Australia to play youth team football with Everton - a team that also included Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney.

"We became very good friends," Carney said.

Carney returned to Sydney two years ago for a trial with Sydney FC, and then coach Pierre Littbarski liked what he saw of the player's dribbling skills and willingness to take on players.

Carney was an instant hit with the Sydney fans, and he played an enormous part in the club's maiden championship success.

Sydney prevented him from going to England on Monday - he actually did a turnabout at Sydney airport - until an offer came from one of the English clubs.

"We always said we wouldn't stand in David's way of going overseas if we received a genuine offer that was in everyone's best interests," Perry said yesterday.

But Carney's contract is understood to have a clause that had a cap on any transfer fee.

"It's sad to leave Branko (Culina)," Carney said.

"He's a great coach but I am lucky to be going to another great coach and a football legend in Bryan Robson.

"I also want to thank the Sydney fans for their support. I will never forget them."

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"There was interest from (English) Premier League clubs but the big reason that I chose Sheffield United is that the club is ambitious and (manager) Bryan Robson has shown faith in my ability," Carney said.
The Only reason why Carney chose Sheffield is becasue it houses Dogs like Him.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Aloisi Talks with Sydney FC Stalls

Swansea City target and Australian striker John Aloisi has been unable to agree contract terms with Sydney FC.

The 31 year-old is on Martinez's list of possible strikers to replace Lee Trundle but a move to Swansea looked unlikely when he was keen to return to his home country.

However, after holding talks with Aloisi, Sydney FC have been unable to agree a salary and it looks like they have failed in their attempts to land the frontman.

Aloisi is out of contract after being released from Spanish side Alaves and it would be another coup if Martinez managed to lure him to the Liberty Stadium.

Martinez is certainly setting his sights high with Aloisi and especially Luke Moore, and while Moore is out of the question, Aloisi is a distant possiblity I suppose.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sydney FC signs youth star
July 31, 2007

SYDNEY FC has signed Ben Vidaic after the Australia youth international striker impressed in the club's pre-season games.

Vidaic, 19, made substitute appearances in Sydney FC's 2007 pre-season cup games against Queensland Roar, Wellington Phoenix and Central Coast Mariners.

The striker, who has scored five goals in eight matches Australia's under-17 and under-20 sides in the past two years, scored for Sydney FC in a match against Sydney University.

"It's a dream come true to sign with Sydney FC, the best club in the A-League," said Vidaic, who spent last season with Sydney United, the team that his father, Bruno, served with distinction as a player and a coach in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Sydney FC coach Branko Culina has high hopes for Vidaic, who has signed a two-year contract.

"Ben has great potential and I'm confident he'll push for a place in the team," Culina said.
Source: Fox Sports

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
And it's confirmed... Juninho is now a Sydney FC player... :D :D

Source:www.sydneyfc.com

Juninho signs as marquee player
Friday, 3 August 2007

Sydney FC today signed 2002 FIFA World Cup winner Juninho Paulista as its marquee player for the Hyundai A-League 2007/08 Season.

Juninho, who played in five of Brazil's seven matches in its 2002 FIFA World Cup campaign, including its 2-0 final victory over Germany, has put pen to paper on a lucrative one-year contract with Sydney FC.

Capped 50 times by the five-time world champion, Juninho has won a host of prestigious club competitions in his career, including the 1993 Copa Libertadores (South America's top tournament) with Sao Paulo, the 2000 Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A (Brazil's championship) with Vasco da Gama and the 2004 English Carling Cup with Middlesbrough.

Sydney FC chief executive officer George Perry says that Juninho, as the first FIFA World Cup winner to ink a season-long deal with a Hyundai A-League club, is the competition’s biggest-ever signing.

"Juninho is a true superstar of the world game, a household name to football fans around the globe," said Perry. "We're thrilled to welcome him aboard and can't wait to see him run out in a Sydney FC shirt."

Sydney FC coach Branko Culina is licking his lips at the prospect of working with Juninho, who has starred for Sao Paulo, Middlesbrough, Atletico Madrid, Vasco da Gama, Flamengo, Celtic and Palmeiras.

"As a World Cup winner, Juninho brings a wealth of experience at the highest possible level to Sydney FC," said Culina. "It's not often that you get to work with someone of his phenomenal footballing ability.

"Not only is Juninho's signing great news for Sydney FC but also for Australian football in general. It demonstrates how the far the game has come in this country over the past few years," Culina added.

Juninho, whose real name is Oswaldo Giraldo Junior, wants to help Sydney FC regain the A-League title that the club won in 2006.

"I'm delighted to join Sydney FC and hope me and my new teammates can bring the A-League Championship back to the city," said Juninho.

Juninho Paulista
Full name: Oswaldo Giraldo Junior
Date of birth: February 22, 1973
Place of birth: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Height: 165cm (5ft 5in)
Position: Midfielder
Squad number: 22

Previous clubs: Sao Paulo (Brazil), Middlesbrough (England), Atletico Madrid (Spain), Vasco da Gama (Brazil), Flamengo (Brazil), Celtic (Scotland), Palmeiras (Brazil)

International record: 2002 FIFA World Cup winner, with five goals in 50 appearances for Brazil

Also Sydney FC has signed Demons star Adam Biddle... a great talent and should be a good asset in seasons to come... I really have enjoyed watching him play for the Demons this season.... :grinning:

Biddle to link up following Grand Final
Thursday, 2 August 2007

Adam Biddle will link up with Sydney FC after playing for Blacktown City Demons in Sunday's 2007 Telechoice Championship Series Grand Final.

Biddle, who turned 19 last week, has signed a two-year contract and will become Sydney FC's third Under-20 player for the Hyundai A-League 2007/08 Season. The club's other youngsters are defender Nikolas Tsattalios and striker Ben Vidaic.

"I'm very excited to be joining Sydney FC," said the young winger. "I'm just at the start of my footballing career and relishing the challenges that lie ahead."

Sydney FC coach Branko Culina is confident that Biddle, who will play his last game for Blacktown City Demons against Bankstown City at Penrith's CUA Stadium, will push for a place in the starting side.

"Adam is an exciting young player with tremendous potential," said Culina. "I'm sure he'll be knocking on the door for a spot in the team this season."

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes he maybe past his Prime, Yes he's not really worth One Million for one Season & Yes He's going to only be here for One Season & One Season only & also Yes he maybe not end up making an Impact on the Team like Yorke But it's a Great Honour to have him in the League.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Socceroo striker John Aloisi has blasted Sydney's transfer talks as his latest move to a new club falls through.
Aloisi had appeared to be the Harbour City's prime target as their marquee player for the coming season.

But talks broke down with the club when the two sides couldn't agree on salary details and contract length.

Now a source close to Aloisi has lashed out at the way negotiations were handled.

"John would be doing the league a favour by coming back," said the insider who asked not to be named.

"The way they treated the negotiations with him was pretty disappointing."

The Socceroo hero - whose spotkick against Uruguay took Australia to the World Cup - now faces an uncertain future.

Aloisi and his family fly out of Adelaide today, bound for Spain where he set up home while playing for Alaves until his contract expired earlier this year.

Time is now running out for him to find a new club before the new season starts in leagues around the world.

Aloisi had hoped to be able to announce a move to a Scandinavian club today, but the deal fell through at the last moment.

"This club in Scandinavia... things have changed over the last day," said the insider. "Let's say, it's far from a done deal.

"Look, there are other clubs in Europe. With John, it's not all about money. It's about playing in a good league too, so there are options but time is fast running out."

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Aloisi was definately asking for Money Sydney FC coundn't squeeze due to the Useless Salary Cap in the A-Leaguue which is Ruining the League.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brazilian Patrick joins Juninho at Sydney FC
18/08/2007
Striker Patrick Da Silva will join Brazilian compatriot Juninho Paulista at Sydney FC in the A-League this season, the club said.

The 22-year-old forward from Juninho's home town of Sao Paulo signed a one-year contract after arriving on Saturday and passing a medical.

His arrival brings to 13 the number of Brazilians joining A-League clubs this season.

Patrick, who started his career with Sao Paulo, has also played with Vitoria (Brazil), Altamira (Mexico), Mogi Mirim (Brazil), GR Barueri (Brazil) and National Atletico Clube (Brazil).

Patrick said he is excited at the prospect of linking up with one of Brazil's all-time greats.

"Juninho's respected throughout Brazil and I can't wait to play in the same side as him," Patrick said.

Sydney FC coach Branko Culina believes Patrick will prove a good acquisition for the club.
Source: AFP

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sydney FC Fan Day and Season Launch this Sunday
Friday August 17, 2007

Football supporters will have the chance to get up close and personal with Sydney FC’s players at the club’s Fan Day and Season Launch at Macquarie University Sports Fields this Sunday.

Kicking off at 10am, the free Sydney FC community event will start with an open training session.

After that there will be a Sydney FC junior coaching clinic exhibition before a formal stage presentation at which Sydney FC’s players will receive their home jerseys for the Hyundai A-League 2007/08 Season that kicks off at Sydney Football Stadium next week.

Throughout the day there will be plenty of exciting activities for all ages, great giveaways, food and drink outlets, appearances by Sydney FC mascots Syd and Sydnee, terrific entertainment and, of course, opportunities for fans to get autographs and have photographs taken with their favourite Sydney FC players - so do not forget to bring your camera!

Sydney FC chief executive officer George Perry invites all football supporters to come along this Sunday.

“Whether you’re a foundation member or someone who’s never been to a Sydney FC game, you’re guaranteed to have a brilliant time at the club’s Fan Day and Season Launch," said Perry. "Everyone's welcome!”
Source: Sports Australia.com

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
I like Bing Lee and Sydney FC... oh and JVC... :grinning:

Yes GO SYDNEY FC, we finally have big name sponsors.. it's great for the club, the game and for the team that Bing Lee, JVC and HBA are now the proud supporters of the team... it's a sign the team is finally making inroads into the Aussie culture... :grinning:

Source: www.sydneyfc.com.au

Sydney FC likes Bing Lee...and JVC!
Tuesday, 7 August 2007

Sydney FC's new home and away kits
Sportshoot / Simon Grimmett © Sydney FC

Sydney FC has announced a major sponsorship deal that will see Bing Lee and JVC on the front of the club's playing strip for the next two Hyundai A-League seasons.

Bing Lee, New South Wales's largest privately owned electrical retailer celebrating 50 years in business, is Sydney FC's new principal sponsor. Bing Lee's logo will appear on the front of Sydney FC's shirt for home matches and on the club's shorts for away games.

Bing Lee general manager Phil Moujaes says that Sydney FC's large family supporter base and strong appeal across Sydney means that the partnership fits well with Bing Lee's values and philosophy.

"As one of Sydney's largest electrical retailers, with a strong brand presence across New South Wales landscape, it makes sense Bing Lee partners with Sydney FC, the team representing Sydney in the A-League, Australia's premier football competition," said Moujaes.

"The sponsorship offers a platform for Bing Lee and JVC to associate with a progressive sports organisation and its members. It will provide a common cause between Bing Lee, JVC and the Sydney community as we aim to see Sydney FC do well on the football field and continue to develop the sport at an elite level," added Moujaes.

JVC, one of the world's leading electronics companies with 80 years of international success, becomes an official co-sponsor of Sydney FC. JVC's logo will appear on the front of Sydney FC's shirt for away matches and on the club's shorts for home games.

JVC divisional manager Carlos Prowse says that JVC is excited to be a significant part of this new alliance.

"We've had a presence on the international football scene since 1982 so we're delighted to extend our involvement to include Australia. Our alliance with Sydney FC as one of Australia's elite football clubs and Bing Lee as one of New South Wales's largest electrical retailers allows us to contribute to the growth of football in this country," said Prowse.

Sydney FC chief executive officer George Perry says that the involvement of Bing Lee and JVC demonstrates that the corporate sector values football highly.

"We're thrilled to be associated with two iconic brands in Bing Lee and JVC. Their sponsorship is further evidence football is on the rise."

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
The fan day seemed to go well... darn I couldn't be there, then again, I had fun on my weekend away and it poured rain... but yeah hopefully the next one.. did anyone attend, and if you did, give us details... ;)

Source:www.sydneyfc.com.au

Fan Day whets appetite for new season
Sunday, 19 August 2007

Sydney FC players and fans
Sportshoot / Simon Grimmett © Sydney FC

Not even wet weather could stop Sydney FC supporters enjoying the club's Fan Day and Season Launch at Macquarie University Sports Fields.

More than 1000 Sydney FC supporters braved terrible conditions to see their favourite players, including marquee man Juninho and young Brazilian striker Patrick, train for two hours before signing autographs and posing for photographs with fans.

Rain led to the cancellation of the Sydney FC Holiday Clinic exhibition and forced the jersey presentation inside where, away from the elements but in a room with limited capacity, kids from the city's associations handed out shirts to the club's players.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sydney won't rush World Cup winner Juninho
Updated: Aug. 7, 2007

Former Middlesbrough star Juninho will not make a surprise appearance with new club Sydney FC in a friendly against Australian State League side Manly United.

The 34-year-old Brazilian World Cup winner has not played in over three months after severing ties with his previous club Flamengo.

Speaking at Sydney FC's new sponsorship announcement on Tuesday, Sydney coach Branko Culina said of his recent signing: 'The question has been asked of me a fair bit, 'when will we see Juninho?'

'It's fair to say that he's probably at least a week or so off before we start thinking about using him.

'We are getting close to the season so we might have to hurry it along but we won't do that to the detriment of the player or the team.

'We've just got to be a bit patient; it's fair to say the Juninho has not kicked a ball in anger for about nearly three months.'
Source: Soccernet

D

D0ggyStylz

Petrovski strike sinks Sydney
By Philip Henderson
August 24, 2007 SASHO Petrovski got one back on his former club as the Central Coast striker upstaged Juninho in the Sydney FC marquee star's A-League debut on Friday night.

The Mariners triumphed 1-0 over their New South Wales rivals in the season opener at a rain-drenched Sydney Football Stadium with Petrovski - in his first game for Central Coast after being Sydney's leading goalscorer the first two years of the competition - claiming the winner in the seventh minute.

Juninho - who had played just 45 minutes in four months before tonight - impressed in patches, showing plenty of skill and speed in a promising debut.

He played the full game, but for much of the match was well held by the close marking of towering Mariners midfield player Mile Jedinak - who had close to an extra 30cm in size over the diminutive Brazilian.

The 34-year-old's best moment came near the stroke of half-time, when he majestically weaved his way through the Mariners penalty area, only to perhaps take one too many touches and be forced to pass back - rather than shoot - after some excellent goalkeeping from Danny Vukovic.

More than 18,000 braved the cold and wet to watch the Brazilian World Cup winner, wearing No.22, play his first competitive club game on Australian soil.

Instead it was the Mariners' No.22 Petrovski who stole the show, capitalising on a Clint Bolton blunder to claim one of the sweetest moments in a footballer's career - the winning goal against your former club on their home soil.

Sydney goalkeeper Bolton attempted a short goal kick, but caught his teammates unawares, allowing Mariners midfielder Andre Gumprecht to intercept the ball and feed Petrovski, whose left-foot strike nestled neatly inside the right post.

It proved the deciding moment of an incident-packed game.

Sydney had plenty of chances to equalise in the first half - the most telling miss coming in the 26th minute when skipper Tony Popovic booted over the bar from the six-yard box.

They were also lucky, though, not to fall behind to a second goal a minute later when Mariners striker Nik Mrdja beat Bolton with a searing shot only to see the ball rebound off the left post.

Mrdja was again desperately unlucky not to score in the 64th minute when he was denied by Bolton's trailing left boot.

Vukovic - who had only jetted back into Sydney from Qatar some 14 hours before kick-off because of Olyroos commitments - then nearly gifted Juninho the equaliser in the 75th minute.

The keeper charged out of his box to prevent an Alex Brosque shot, but then continued further upfield. He was close to halfway when Juninho claimed possession, but the Brazilian's shot from just outside the box drifted over the bar.

Mariners defender Nigel Boogaard finally ensured his side all three points in the 87th with a desperate goal-line clearance, saving Central Coast after Mark Rudan's shot had beaten Vukovic.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
watched the game while at work 2day haha, Sydney didnt play 2 bad but cant c them threatening this year. They desperately needed Aloisi

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Team looked really banged up & not really wanting to be their for the 2nd Half & their Defence was not upto their Usual Standard. The Team looked Dead to Be Honest. Juninho should of reallly taken that shot when he was just Mteres from the Net.

Status
Not open for further replies.