News The red flags the Bulldogs missed as legend questions whether Flanagan deal was a ‘mistake’

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kyle Flanagan was given another shot to cement his spot at the Bulldogs when he was recalled into the halves for their clash with the Titans on Monday.

It was his first game since Canterbury-Bankstown’s 66-nil thrashing at the hands of Manly in Round 16. Prior to that he hadn’t been sighted in first grade since Round 9.

The 22-year-old has had a tumultuous 12 months. At the end of last season he was given the tap on the shoulder by the Roosters and released one year into his two-year deal.
Flanagan said at the time he was “shocked and disappointed” after being brutally axed.

But it wasn’t long until the Bulldogs swooped in and locked him in on a three-year, $1 million plus deal as new coach Trent Barrett began his Belmore rebuild.

However, with Flanagan failing to take control of an inexperienced Bulldogs side, league legend Laurie Daley has questioned whether signing the young half on a three-year deal was the right move.

Daley pointed out that champion clubs — like the Roosters — don’t let quality players walk and perhaps there were red flags that the Bulldogs missed.

It’s probably been a mistake to sign him for three years,” Daley told Sky Sports Radio’s Big Sports Breakfast.

“The Roosters and the Melbourne Storm, if they allow a player to walk you have to question why they are releasing them.

“Is there something wrong with his attitude? Do they not rate him?

“If they want to keep someone, and they tick all the boxes, they do not lose them.”

Flanagan’s Round 20 recall came at the expense of Lachlan Lewis. It’s understood the selection wasn’t based off form, but rather, an opportunity to start building for the future.

Lewis hasn’t been offered a new deal by the Bulldogs for next season, while it seems Barrett plans to persist with Flanagan.

He partnered young gun Jake Averillo on Monday night and with Matt Burton joining the club in 2022, the pair have the final five games to battle it out for the one halves spot up for grabs.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mind the original deal of signing Flanno...it was a calcuated risk and we lost. 3 years was ridiculous though

What I can't stand is the constant chances he gets. Everybody makes mistakes. Baz fucked up by signing him so now don't try and justify your dumbasss decision by constantly picking him in the side. I'm pretty sure Baz has already written him off so hopefully this was just to convince Gus that he is a dud

Our best hope is Madge getting sacked and his old man getting the job. This is a very important game for us this week. If we beat the Tigpies the pressure will intensify on Madge and surely you'd think he's gone. Losing to the wooden spooners would have to the final straw

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The fact that the roosters and the storm don’t let good players go is a red flag on the salary cap system
100% correct. Under a working salary cap the concept of unders and overs couldn't be applied. It should come down to the idea that if the stacked roster can't offer a deal close to what a severely understrength team can afford, the team with a stacked roster shouldn't be able to make an offer.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Daley was such a great judge he would have said this at the start of the season, not now.

Flanno should never have been signed to a 3 year deal, simple as that. 1 or 2 year deal with options in the clubs favour. If another team was stupid enough to sign him for longer than that we should have walked away.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we’re truly building for the future then give BBO a run. Even a blind person can see he ups the tempo of our whole team when he comes on and challenges the defence with good early kicks and chases and has a repeat set in him too. Plus he’s still young and we’re gone this year

Malla

Reaction score
I am on the fence about blaming Baz for this

We have the benefit of hindsight now, but at the time bringing Flanno wasn't so bad of a decision. Roosters were chipping in some of his salary so its a low risk investment, he looked pretty good but seemed to be the fall guy, maybe had a chip on his shoulder etc. I remember everyones tone on this forum when we signed him, you were all excited and thought we found the answer lol

It's not like Baz has let him be in the starting team like coaches of the past. He moved him back to Reggies, brought him back and gave him a couple more games, he will probably get dropped this week. He is working with him to improve, but if we don't see that improvement he is gone. The rumors of us shopping him around are 100% true.

So I will wait to see what the outcome is with Flanno before judging Baz. If he improves (I highly doubt it) then Baz' coaching worked. If not, and Baz moves him on, then I can't knock Baz for that either.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
over 4 years following our 2004 GF success, we lost Price, Thurston, Anasta, Asotasi, Myles, Mason, O'Meley and Sherwin... the majority of those players we wanted to keep
A lot of that had to do with us operating under a reduced cap for a few seasons as part of the punishment for 2002.

But I agree with your point that the cap isn't working and the top teams should be losing more players than they are.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Barretts picks of Flanno, Allen, Elliot and Wadell have been terrible. That's alot of money wasted on guys that will be hanging around for another 2 years. Everyone on TK knew that we either keep 1 of Jacko or Elliot.
Yeah but Elliot and Flanagan aren’t on mega dollar deals both are well under 400K per season I think if my memory serves!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a terrible signing he was...absolutely terrible!

In hindsight it would have been better to play Lewis at 7 for the whole 2021 season.
Lewis is shit but he's much better than Flanagan, and we wouldn't have wasted more money on the halves.
So dumb from TBaz!

Another one that kills me is letting go of Reimis and buying duds like Allen. We are such as dumb club! Hopefully the recruitment errors has stopped with Gould as footy manager.