The "R U OK ?" Thread

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mother in law who lives with us had a fall last week. Middle of the night hit the bathroom floor. Shes been in hospital since. Her dementia has really kicked in in say the last 2 months. Her heart is failing now. Very sad to see. Shes not living, shes surviving. Shes stopped reading, stopped listening to her classical music, stopped watching her cricket. Asked yesterday if she wanted me to bring in a radio but she just said no. Asked if she was bored, she just said she don't know whats going on. Shes lucid at times, mostly not. Shes not in any pain and is being well looked after. Wife asked for an ACAT assessment. Wife's a nurse whos worked in dementia for years, Ive studied aged care. Last thing we wanted (and mum wanted) was to go into a home. Weve been able to look after her up til this point but that might very well happen now. Day at a time, we'll just have to see.
Ive read on here a few others are dealing with loved ones with dementia. Wish you all the best.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Mother in law who lives with us had a fall last week. Middle of the night hit the bathroom floor. Shes been in hospital since. Her dementia has really kicked in in say the last 2 months. Her heart is failing now. Very sad to see. Shes not living, shes surviving. Shes stopped reading, stopped listening to her classical music, stopped watching her cricket. Asked yesterday if she wanted me to bring in a radio but she just said no. Asked if she was bored, she just said she don't know whats going on. Shes lucid at times, mostly not. Shes not in any pain and is being well looked after. Wife asked for an ACAT assessment. Wife's a nurse whos worked in dementia for years, Ive studied aged care. Last thing we wanted (and mum wanted) was to go into a home. Weve been able to look after her up til this point but that might very well happen now. Day at a time, we'll just have to see.
Ive read on here a few others are dealing with loved ones with dementia. Wish you all the best.
So sorry to hear that bro...it's a **** of a disease.

My wife's grandmother has days left they reckon. First time I've seen her "give up". She is a fkn fighter but these days it's like she accepted it. Like your mother, she doesn't like/do what she used to love.

PS when I wear my hoodie and with my long beard, she always confuses me with St Charbel. We all used to have a laugh but recently she actually believes I'm St Charbel and makes me pray over her. Of course I do it for her to give her a bit of comfort.

God bless and give strength to anyone that dementia has cruelly effected.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that bro...it's a **** of a disease.

My wife's grandmother has days left they reckon. First time I've seen her "give up". She is a fkn fighter but these days it's like she accepted it. Like your mother, she doesn't like/do what she used to love.

PS when I wear my hoodie and with my long beard, she always confuses me with St Charbel. We all used to have a laugh but recently she actually believes I'm St Charbel and makes me pray over her. Of course I do it for her to give her a bit of comfort.

God bless and give strength to anyone that dementia has cruelly effected.
Cheers @ASSASSIN.
Best wishes to your wifes grandmother, your wife, yourself and your family.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At least that is giving her something to think about & may give her strength

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Overall, not too bad, thanks.

My Hodgkin's Lymphoma remains in remission, and I've been off the Chemo since about February. The longer I go, without the chemical in my system, the better I feel.

The percentage of CML in my blood is so low, that I am also considered "virtually in remission" for the Leukemia. I remain on treatment for that. They want to monitor over a longer period, before officially declaring it to be in remission.

I am still getting quite fatigued, particularly in the afternoons, but not as badly as I was previously.

I've been putting weight back on, which I take as a good sign. I had originally rapidly lost 35kgs, before I was diagnosed. I'd rather be slimmer, but on the other hand, it's probably better to be putting on weight, under the circumstances.

The cold weather has been giving me bouts of numbness, pain and whitening of a couple of my fingers. I enquired whether it had anything to do with my cancer treatments. The Haematologist filling in for my main guy, reckoned not, and believed it to be Reynaud's Syndrome. Fabulous - another problem I don't need. Last week she rang me and said she's been doing further research and it could be a side-effect of the medication I take for Leukemia.

They will keep me on the Leukemia medication for now. It should improve in the warmer weather. In the meantime, I have been buying up a few pairs of gloves, to put on when an attack starts.

Hopefully, things continue to improve. I have been in temporary retirement, living off my own savings, as my weakened state and spending so much time in hospital and at appointments wouldn't be conducive to working. So, I'm hoping to be eventually well enough to think about entering the workforce at some point.

Anyway, I should take the time to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, best wishes, encouragement and various acts of support and kindness, publicly and privately. All of this has helped me greatly, during this rather difficult time of my life.

Thanks again.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

My Hodgkin's Lymphoma remains in remission, and I've been off the Chemo since about February. The longer I go, without the chemical in my system, the better I feel.

The percentage of CML in my blood is so low, that I am also considered "virtually in remission" for the Leukemia. I remain on treatment for that. They want to monitor over a longer period, before officially declaring it to be in remission.

I am still getting quite fatigued, particularly in the afternoons, but not as badly as I was previously.

I've been putting weight back on, which I take as a good sign. I had originally rapidly lost 35kgs, before I was diagnosed. I'd rather be slimmer, but on the other hand, it's probably better to be putting on weight, under the circumstances.

The cold weather has been giving me bouts of numbness, pain and whitening of a couple of my fingers. I enquired whether it had anything to do with my cancer treatments. The Haematologist filling in for my main guy, reckoned not, and believed it to be Reynaud's Syndrome. Fabulous - another problem I don't need. Last week she rang me and said she's been doing further research and it could be a side-effect of the medication I take for Leukemia.

They will keep me on the Leukemia medication for now. It should improve in the warmer weather. In the meantime, I have been buying up a few pairs of gloves, to put on when an attack starts.

Hopefully, things continue to improve. I have been in temporary retirement, living off my own savings, as my weakened state and spending so much time in hospital and at appointments wouldn't be conducive to working. So, I'm hoping to be eventually well enough to think about entering the workforce at some point.

Anyway, I should take the time to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, best wishes, encouragement and various acts of support and kindness, publicly and privately. All of this has helped me greatly, during this rather difficult time of my life.

Thanks again.
Sounds like everything is on the up BW..apart from the blood vessel spasms in the fingers.. I’m glad it is a result of the medication and not something new to deal with. What a bloody (no pun intended) journey..I hope you can get back in the workforce and enjoy fun that bring.

You are one tough cookie and deserve all the good fortune I feel is coming your way..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Thanks again.
Straight up SOLDIER!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had an emotional week, as it was the 1 year anniversary of my sons passing recently. It hasn't gotten any easier, and I am still struggling with his passing, even a year on. Some days I just hate life, some days I am "fine", but I always have this empty feeling inside me now. I try to be strong most days, but some days I feel like I have been beat down by Tyson. I pick up my hat, dust it off and try continuing on with "life". I guess my life is an OK, not OK, continued tussle.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I've had an emotional week, as it was the 1 year anniversary of my sons passing recently. It hasn't gotten any easier, and I am still struggling with his passing, even a year on. Some days I just hate life, some days I am "fine", but I always have this empty feeling inside me now. I try to be strong most days, but some days I feel like I have been beat down by Tyson. I pick up my hat, dust it off and try continuing on with "life". I guess my life is an OK, not OK, continued tussle.
I can not begin to comprehend your sense of loss MD.. All I can say is much love and Strength to you brother.. Im sure I can speak for all..when I say we are always here for you..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I wish I had the words bro, but all I'll say is your special little angel is keeping you strong.

God bless him and you bro.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thoughts are with you.

Do you still talk to him. All I can say is tell him how you are feeling etc.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Thanks again.
So good you are on the mend. It's great news to hear that you are taking the strong hit ups to the try line.