News The Mole: Father's ploy to lure disgruntled Bulldogs playmaker Kyle Flanagan to rival club

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another Mole Made Up Special.

Him and Rothfield and their "rumours" reminds of the Bus Driver scene in Billy Maddison, when the bus driver is talking about Veronica Vaughan.

Rothfield/Mole: Bulldogs are interested in <insert name here>
Gus Gould: No No No No No we're not.
Rothfield/Mole: Okay but you could imagine what it'd be like if the Bulldogs were interested in them!

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Nepotism is even worse in junior cricket, particularly when a father is umpiring from the end his son is bowling from.
Lol. Once umpired a game u12s and my way of dealing with it was to set out rules b4 the game. Deal was for LBWs, no shot can be given straight out but if he plays a shot, give him not out, have a word to him and if it happens again, give him then. My kids knew thats how I rolled and never an issue with other umps - until one day.

Two brothers never scored a 50. Both are towelling up the other team and then old mates kid comes on to bowl. Kids a LH, bats are right handers. I'm at square leg. One bro smashed the ball onto his pad and the only kid who appealed was the bowler. Finger straight up - out for 46. I walk up and said wtf - one he smashed it and two - no warning. He reckoned he'd given him one before (load of shit). Kids losing it, crying and I told him he had to go. Other bro got out later in the over, again hit on the pad with no warning for 42. He loses his shit too. Meanwhile I can hear the parents on the sideline going off. That bowler (no swing, LH to right hand bats) got 5-2 with 5 LBWs. Not one warning.

As I'm walking off, just said to the parent you're a fckng joke mate - this is kids cricket and I have kids crying. He said and I quote, they need to learn to bat better. I bit my tongue and thought as bad as this cnt is - I'm not walking down his path.

Anyways, the parent of the bros (ex cricketer himself) said to me you returning serve? i said nah - don't roll that way. He said cool, let me ump. All good - here you go. Other team was out for 25, 6 LBWs and 3 caught behinds that I'm sure the kids missed by a mile. Next thing, two sets of parents arking up and me just thinking what a mess. Cops ended up being called to settle people down and next thing off to the association to explain myself.

Get there and one of the committee comes up to me and says, its all good mate. We've been after this dick for a while and you've given us a good excuse. He's done this crap for years. And boom - Dad is banned from umping or coaching and spits the dummy and pulls his kid from cricket. So is the parent from my team - I get a warning but as I'm being told this - two of the committee are smiling and winking. Those two bros? Quit cricket after the season to do other stuff. Their dad was an ex-grade guy and I asked him can I talk em around - he said nope - that day did it for them.

No winners at all. And all for parents who shot their shot. 100% agree with your take bro.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol. Once umpired a game u12s and my way of dealing with it was to set out rules b4 the game. Deal was for LBWs, no shot can be given straight out but if he plays a shot, give him not out, have a word to him and if it happens again, give him then. My kids knew thats how I rolled and never an issue with other umps - until one day.

Two brothers never scored a 50. Both are towelling up the other team and then old mates kid comes on to bowl. Kids a LH, bats are right handers. I'm at square leg. One bro smashed the ball onto his pad and the only kid who appealed was the bowler. Finger straight up - out for 46. I walk up and said wtf - one he smashed it and two - no warning. He reckoned he'd given him one before (load of shit). Kids losing it, crying and I told him he had to go. Other bro got out later in the over, again hit on the pad with no warning for 42. He loses his shit too. Meanwhile I can hear the parents on the sideline going off. That bowler (no swing, LH to right hand bats) got 5-2 with 5 LBWs. Not one warning.

As I'm walking off, just said to the parent you're a fckng joke mate - this is kids cricket and I have kids crying. He said and I quote, they need to learn to bat better. I bit my tongue and thought as bad as this cnt is - I'm not walking down his path.

Anyways, the parent of the bros (ex cricketer himself) said to me you returning serve? i said nah - don't roll that way. He said cool, let me ump. All good - here you go. Other team was out for 25, 6 LBWs and 3 caught behinds that I'm sure the kids missed by a mile. Next thing, two sets of parents arking up and me just thinking what a mess. Cops ended up being called to settle people down and next thing off to the association to explain myself.

Get there and one of the committee comes up to me and says, its all good mate. We've been after this dick for a while and you've given us a good excuse. He's done this crap for years. And boom - Dad is banned from umping or coaching and spits the dummy and pulls his kid from cricket. So is the parent from my team - I get a warning but as I'm being told this - two of the committee are smiling and winking. Those two bros? Quit cricket after the season to do other stuff. Their dad was an ex-grade guy and I asked him can I talk em around - he said nope - that day did it for them.

No winners at all. And all for parents who shot their shot. 100% agree with your take bro.
I’ll reply in a PM soon.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another Mole Made Up Special.

Him and Rothfield and their "rumours" reminds of the Bus Driver scene in Billy Maddison, when the bus driver is talking about Veronica Vaughan.

Rothfield/Mole: Bulldogs are interested in <insert name here>
Gus Gould: No No No No No we're not.
Rothfield/Mole: Okay but you could imagine what it'd be like if the Bulldogs were interested in them!
That Kyle Flanagan is one piece of playmaker
“No he isn’t “
No no no but could you imagine him at manly ? They would go so well woooo weeeee

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'd say the sooner Kyle leaves our club the better., mine you if Flanagan snr get the Dragons job in 2924, what then.
Yes indeed. That article written about a “disgruntled” Flanagan.
Wot! He’s been given 8 rounds this year & talked beforehand about leading the team. Why would he be disgruntled?
He has been given more than a good go by CC. In my view Kyle will only go where Daddy ends up. If that is St George, then he will go there. Really quite a poor article. Fired it off the laptop without thought. To stir the pot.
Frankly Flanno has not lead the team at all, nor created much either. A couple of good passes here & there and defended well.
Eventually CC was forced to move him, to give Burto a go at half, thus deliberately opening the door for Reynolds et al, to buy time, then (probably) KO (&/or after round 10 or so), Rajab or Hayward to get a go.
I’m sure Skelton cannot be too far away either. It’s just that CC does not like making too many changes at once.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Manly assistant coach Shane Flanagan is trying to get son Kyle to the Sea Eagles in 2024 in a bid to revive the halfback's career.

Flanagan, 24, is coming off contract with the Bulldogs at the end of the season and is unlikely to be re-signed.

The Sea Eagles are considering bringing him in and moving veteran Daly Cherry-Evans to five-eighth, then shifting the giant Josh Schuster to backrow or centre.

Kyle played his best football under his dad early in his career at Cronulla, where he debuted in 2018 and looked the goods.

He has lost his way in recent seasons at the Roosters and Bulldogs but his father believes the playmaker still has plenty to offer if used the right way.

This season, Kyle has yet to score a try or come up with a try assist after eight rounds with the Bulldogs.

Schuster has had a mixed year at five-eighth for Manly - on Sunday in the narrow win over the Tigers, he had eight runs for just 47 metres, missed five tackles and made four errors.

Both Flanagans will deny all this - but it has been discussed very seriously in the corridors of power at Manly.
Flanno is another case where junior talent does not always transfer in to NRL. Big wraps coming out of juniors. Big disappointment in NRL. Just mostly blames the coach for his underwhelming performances. Good luck Shane, with your son.
Mbye, Templeman are another 2 that readily come to mind that tore up juniors. There are no doubt more.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say the sooner Kyle leaves our club the better., mine you if Flanagan snr get the Dragons job in 2924, what then.
Flanagan Jr would have turned to dust by then [emoji23]

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nepotism is something that irks me both in sport and in working life.

Back in 2015 I was an assistant coach of a team in the Sharks juniors. My step son was the coach.

I had a phone call from one of my players who wanted his cousin of the same age to join our team. He was in a team in another district.

He had won the player of the year award 2 seaons prior, BUT a new coach came on board who had twin sons who played the same positions he could, they being half back and hooker. He basically sat on the bench for the entire year.

We gave him a trial and we could see he was a classy player.

We offered him a utility spot covering 6, 7,9 and 13. He started each game on the bench but was on after 20 minutes and stayed on for the rest of the game.

Handled every spot with aplomb.

He was also a left footed goal kicker. We were in front by 6 points in the decider when we received a penalty out wide on the right hand side. Up he stepped to take the kick and nailed it for an 8 point lead with 2 minutes to go.

I have always said the best type of coaches in junior sport are those that have no family members involved as players.

Nepotism is even worse in junior cricket, particularly when a father is umpiring from the end his son is bowling from.
Not the first time you have mentioned nepotism in junior cricket!

let me take a wild guess - Georges River junior association!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Manly or another NRL club signed him as a backup but there's no way they're moving DCE from halfback to accommodate Flanagan. Seibold is dumb but he can't be that dumb
Absolutely [emoji817]. No coach in their right mind would move one of the league’s best (and SOO) HBs to 5/8 to accommodate one of the most mediocre HBs that has just been dropped by the team coming 2nd last. Even if he is the assistant coaches son.

They may make a play for him as their Reggie’s HB, but good luck with that

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol who are these proven players of which you speak?
Burton Mahoney Kikau, and who were the supers stars you promoted like Idiot Elliot, have already forgotten the others, was it because they reached the stars.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really liked the term playmaker in his refereence to K Flanagan,

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think he will be great player in time we don't have the time. We need to keep Trotting good luck to him and his dad wish them both best of luck, now lets trot

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Another parody bites the dust. Many more to come? Is this the last year we will be carrying parodies in our squad?
Define parody :grinning: but there's still a few to clean out. When/if that happens will be the first time for 10 years that we haven't carried several dead weight.