Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I really hope you guys bounce back I reckon it will be a good game I will be watching this game should be a cracker.
They'll be back. It's United they're too big not to. Just depends how long it'll take?

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really hope you guys bounce back I reckon it will be a good game I will be watching this game should be a cracker.
We’re been as flat as a tack for a good 6-7 weeks
And can’t see us miraculously coming good
But here’s hoping
Will be away fishing so won’t catch it, been a while since I’ve watched a game

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But here’s hoping
Hopefully you catch some fish instead.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fair enough mate, your family poms?
Nah mate was only joking,
old man was in his prime when they won there only 2 titles plus and a few FA cups
But will have to ask him why he started supporting the old cockerels

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But here’s hoping
Been a while since you have watched a game, but you hammer me for my views, which have been pretty spot on !!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No trolling as a City fan.. Just wondering where United fans are at with Ole? Do you guys want him gone ASAP, or do you want to wait and see til the end of the year? If you do want him gone, what do you think of Conte or the other options?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No trolling as a City fan.. Just wondering where United fans are at with Ole? Do you guys want him gone ASAP, or do you want to wait and see til the end of the year? If you do want him gone, what do you think of Conte or the other options?
I felt he deserved the time after he built the squad and he has done a much better job of building a squad than "established great managers" like LVG and Mourinho.

There were some warning signs but I felt it was still a conjecture, is it a lack of form or is the team not being set up right. Performance vs Leicester was a warning shot across the bow, last Sunday would probably be the nail in the coffin. The fact is with that firepower, even though the team does have shortcomings in certain areas, they should be pegging back oppositions. Sunday's performance, was not so much tactics but it just looked like some of the players were lost, and that's not to say they had downed tools, rather that confidence had massively dropped off and that they no longer knew what to do.

Ole's been given 3 games to turn it around, I personally don't think it's 3 games to turn it around, I reckon it's 3 games for the board to decide what they want to do. It seems they're not interested in Zidane nor Conte and may look for a permanent manager change when their wanted manager becomes available, who that is ? No one seems to know

But in saying all the above, I want to point out that Ole's previous detractors were all saying United didn't know how to attack, their criticisms had nothing to do with defence, so I call a massive bullshit on people claiming they "predicted" this. Its a load of garbage, previous criticisms match nothing that's happened these past few weeks.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I felt he deserved the time after he built the squad and he has done a much better job of building a squad than "established great managers" like LVG and Mourinho.

There were some warning signs but I felt it was still a conjecture, is it a lack of form or is the team not being set up right. Performance vs Leicester was a warning shot across the bow, last Sunday would probably be the nail in the coffin. The fact is with that firepower, even though the team does have shortcomings in certain areas, they should be pegging back oppositions. Sunday's performance, was not so much tactics but it just looked like some of the players were lost, and that's not to say they had downed tools, rather that confidence had massively dropped off and that they no longer knew what to do.

Ole's been given 3 games to turn it around, I personally don't think it's 3 games to turn it around, I reckon it's 3 games for the board to decide what they want to do. It seems they're not interested in Zidane nor Conte and may look for a permanent manager change when their wanted manager becomes available, who that is ? No one seems to know

But in saying all the above, I want to point out that Ole's previous detractors were all saying United didn't know how to attack, their criticisms had nothing to do with defence, so I call a massive bullshit on people claiming they "predicted" this. Its a load of garbage, previous criticisms match nothing that's happened these past few weeks.
Going into the season especially after the Ronaldo signing it seemed that defensive midfielders and their defence was the main issue. It seems like that has been exposed more as the season has gone on.

The common criticism of Ole is that he doesn't have the tactical nous and doesn't make in game adjustments well.

I'm sure a managerial change will happen soon, but like you said there aren't any clear cut candidates and they could easily find someone who doesn't do much better. The new manager will want to sell some players and buy some of their own players which will lead to another few months of a lack of cohesion..

One thing is for sure, Sir Alex has cast a huge shadow over that club since he left and no one has come close to being able to follow in his footsteps.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Going into the season especially after the Ronaldo signing it seemed that defensive midfielders and their defence was the main issue. It seems like that has been exposed more as the season has gone on.

The common criticism of Ole is that he doesn't have the tactical nous and doesn't make in game adjustments well.

I'm sure a managerial change will happen soon, but like you said there aren't any clear cut candidates and they could easily find someone who doesn't do much better. The new manager will want to sell some players and buy some of their own players which will lead to another few months of a lack of cohesion..

One thing is for sure, Sir Alex has cast a huge shadow over that club since he left and no one has come close to being able to follow in his footsteps.
Ole receives a lot of criticism for not making in game adjustments but he rarely seems to get credit for when he does make in game adjustments and turns the result around. Not saying he's immune from this criticism, I just think it's overblown because people refuse to see the times he does make changes for the positive. I also don't think any of the "top" managers in the PL (other than Pep) have shown this great tactical nous that people speak of. Klopp depends on the same starting 11 and his gegen press, he has no Plan B, as displayed last season if Salah and Mane are struggling for form, they don't get results. Tuchel has a great defensive setup and relies on the counter attack but vs City last time, Chelsea had 0 shots on goal while playing at Stamford Bridge. Pep is the only one who really stands out from a pure tactical genius point of view.

Losing Varane and Maguire has caused a problem. I don't know if Maguire was brought back too early from his injury or is just plainly completely out of form, had we not lost Varane as well, then Varane could have been partnered up with Lindelof until Maguire was back up to speed. Unfortunately both Maguire and Varane were out with injuries at the same time and had to be rushed back.

Maguire's consistent performance over the course of last season (after a dismal start) and his performance in the Euro's would suggest there is a capable defender there and adding Varane to the backline it makes that defence stronger. Again get them on the field and find some form. So it's not all doom and gloom from a defensive side of things.

Any new manager that comes in, only has the excuse of strengthening midfield and until the transfer window comes up, it is still serviceable to a degree. We're not in the same situation as when LVG or Mourinho left the club, i.e. needing a whole new squad. This squad, as it stands right now, is more than capable of challenging for the title (or as you say, SAF shadow is that huge as he won the PL with vastly inferior squads than what we have now, so we're used to a manager pulling miracles out of his hat)

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ole receives a lot of criticism for not making in game adjustments but he rarely seems to get credit for when he does make in game adjustments and turns the result around. Not saying he's immune from this criticism, I just think it's overblown because people refuse to see the times he does make changes for the positive. I also don't think any of the "top" managers in the PL (other than Pep) have shown this great tactical nous that people speak of. Klopp depends on the same starting 11 and his gegen press, he has no Plan B, as displayed last season if Salah and Mane are struggling for form, they don't get results. Tuchel has a great defensive setup and relies on the counter attack but vs City last time, Chelsea had 0 shots on goal while playing at Stamford Bridge. Pep is the only one who really stands out from a pure tactical genius point of view.

Losing Varane and Maguire has caused a problem. I don't know if Maguire was brought back too early from his injury or is just plainly completely out of form, had we not lost Varane as well, then Varane could have been partnered up with Lindelof until Maguire was back up to speed. Unfortunately both Maguire and Varane were out with injuries at the same time and had to be rushed back.

Maguire's consistent performance over the course of last season (after a dismal start) and his performance in the Euro's would suggest there is a capable defender there and adding Varane to the backline it makes that defence stronger. Again get them on the field and find some form. So it's not all doom and gloom from a defensive side of things.

Any new manager that comes in, only has the excuse of strengthening midfield and until the transfer window comes up, it is still serviceable to a degree. We're not in the same situation as when LVG or Mourinho left the club, i.e. needing a whole new squad. This squad, as it stands right now, is more than capable of challenging for the title (or as you say, SAF shadow is that huge as he won the PL with vastly inferior squads than what we have now, so we're used to a manager pulling miracles out of his hat)
Yeah fair enough. Even Pep has his flaws and he struggles to make in game adjustments at times. As evidenced by how Chelsea dominated us in the CL final and how often teams that park the bus or play on the counter he struggles to break down because they insist on passing the ball into the net instead of playing more direct at times.

The squad is definitely more talented than those of recent years. Which is why pressure is mounting on Ole. Once the rumours of dressing room discontent start spreading it usually doesn't end well. It will be interesting to see who they get and how they respond.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah fair enough. Even Pep has his flaws and he struggles to make in game adjustments at times. As evidenced by how Chelsea dominated us in the CL final and how often teams that park the bus or play on the counter he struggles to break down because they insist on passing the ball into the net instead of playing more direct at times.

The squad is definitely more talented than those of recent years. Which is why pressure is mounting on Ole. Once the rumours of dressing room discontent start spreading it usually doesn't end well. It will be interesting to see who they get and how they respond.
Pep's won 3 out of the last 4 seasons, the one season he didn't, he had to deal with a injury crisis. Yeh he struggles sometimes, but winning 3 out of the last 4, seems to suggest it heavily favours him getting it right most of the time.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pep's won 3 out of the last 4 seasons, the one season he didn't, he had to deal with a injury crisis. Yeh he struggles sometimes, but winning 3 out of the last 4, seems to suggest it heavily favours him getting it right most of the time.
Oh for sure, I'm not complaining! I'm just saying even he gets it wrong with selections, tactics and adjustments at times and often struggles against certain managers like Klopp, Tuchel and others who play great counter attacking football and who's teams are harder to break down with the Tiki Taka style.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iv never understood how anybody becomes a spurs supporter
me neither... the gall of the club to join a European Super League as a permanent member when they have not won their own championship in 60 years, never been European Champions, have only won 2 League Cups in the last 30 years, a little chicken standing on a medicine ball for a logo, an all white home shirt proclaiming their surrender before a ball has been kicked, a billion dollar stadium that looks like an oversized bidet (then again, there is a lot of sh*t to be cleaned up), a trophy cabinet that doubles as a janitors closet etc.

oops... this probably belonged in the banter thread

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
New thread hasn’t stopped the trolls I see
Wanted him gone 6 weeks after he signed his first contract. Absolute FRAUD of a manager. Not even championship level. Managed to get Cardiff relegated and yet somehow finds himself at the helm of one of the biggest clubs in the world. STAGGERING incompetence from United.

The narrative goes he made progress ..... He was backed to the tune of 450 million. Who couldn't change things with that kind of money ??

It's highly debatable if that money has been spent wisely. For a start 100 million didn't even play against Liverpool in Sancho/DVB. The 130 million spent between Maguire/ Wan Bissaka could have yielded so much more. And then we have the CDM fiasco. I could go on.

Finishing second last year was only because Chelsea and Liverpool had legitimate reasons for down seasons. Only an Ole fanboy could say we are better than those teams.

Tan Hag would be my first choice as his football is superb and i feel the youth players would really benefit. Hard to see him walking away from Ajax at this point of the season though.

Initially i was against Conti but i am firming by the day. The guy is a serial winner with stacks of charisma. His antics on the sideline would be a welcome change from the vacant stares and group talk we currently witness. With Conti we could go into matches against the big three on a somewhat level field in a managerial sense.

I am pretty sure he will handle the dressing room and is available now.