The Hooker position

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
McInnes seems to be very underrated on here.
In my opinion he'd be a brilliant signing. He gets through a mountain of defensive work which is done at a very high standard.
His passing is fantastic and his running game is under rated.
His best assets are his competitiveness and professionalism. Going into 2022 with a young quality spine he'd be a leader in the squad and set a high standard and we'd be mad to not be making enquires.
Dont agree mcinnes is mediocre, his workrate is the most ive seen, he has skills and if st George didnt have him, they would have gotten the spoon imo.
He is definitely the best NRL hooker off contract in 2021

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
His work rate is great but that’s the only positive I see with him. It’s his skill set or lack of that I don’t like. He’s one of those players that gets lots of wraps for his effort plays and rightly so but it glosses over the deficiencies in other areas of his game. He seems to the type of player you either rate or don’t.
We need those effort players with a young squad in my opinion.
I see him as having a bit of a Ben Kennedy effect on the squad.
I doubt he leaves St George though, but I'd be very happy if we landed him.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need those effort players with a young squad in my opinion.
I see him as having a bit of a Ben Kennedy effect on the squad.
I doubt he leaves St George though, but I'd be very happy if we landed him.
I agree, I wasn’t unhappy to see the back of Tolman. But he had a high work rate,someone has to play the minutes and make the tackles and hit ups he did.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don’t we make a silly offer for cook. Bring him back. When is he off contract?

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don’t we make a silly offer for cook. Bring him back. When is he off contract?
I don’t think he’d be worth it at his asking price, especially behind our forward pack if they play like they did last year.

He doesn’t seem able to bring a team back when they’re on the back foot or when the forwards don’t fire, especially when compared to someone like Cameron Smith or maybe even Harry Grant.

We need a hooker who can both manage a game and bring some attacking spark.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK will do The job
Truth is we're all anticipating Tbaz and co. to improve every player. Same applies to Katoa and JMK. They should be given that opportunity as with every other player with better coaching than what they had before.
I'm feeling this is the mindset as the focus has shifted to outside backs now that new halves have been purchased.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Truth is we're all anticipating Tbaz and co. to improve every player. Same applies to Katoa and JMK. They should be given that opportunity as with every other player with better coaching than what they had before.
I'm feeling this is the mindset as the focus has shifted to outside backs now that new halves have been purchased.
I will use this term...On and off the field the club is getting REVOLUTIONIZED
1 All player will be given the opportunity to prove themselves
2 TBaz the management and the board have meticulously identified positions in desperate need of filling
3 There are players who are showing great attitude that will surprise all and keep
4 There are player that will be shown the door now if it becomes possible
Like I have said previously
Because of certain people at the club now, suddenly we have become a magnet to top players sponsors and TPAs .
Get excited !!!

Last edited:

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will use this term...On and off the field the club is getting REVOLUTIONIZED
1 All player will be given the opportunity to prove them selves
2 TBaz the management and the board have meticulously identified positions in desperate need of filling
3 There are players who are showing great attitude that will surprise all and keep
4 There are player that will be shown the door now if it becomes possible
Like I have said previously
Because of certain people at the club now, suddenly we have become a magnet to top players sponsors and TPAs .
Get excited !!!
1 and 2 - Good
3. Meaney and Kotao
4. Lewis and Napa

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He would be excellent, having a hard worker like him would make getting rid of Jackson easier in time. Could then run Elliot or Topine at lock and still have a leader in the middle
I think Jacko can still be good if he didn't do so much defensive work. It was like he was tackling everyone all the time. If he had help to decrease his defensive work than he will have the energy in attack.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've seen of him McInnes doesn't seem to offer much in attack. The question we need to ask is do we want a defensive type hooker like Smith or McInness or do we sign a creative hooker like Grant, Api or Brailey. It all depends on how the 1,6 and 7 go. If we have no problem scoring points then McInnes would be fine

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
From what I've seen of him McInnes doesn't seem to offer much in attack. The question we need to ask is do we want a defensive type hooker like Smith or McInness or do we sign a creative hooker like Grant, Api or Brailey. It all depends on how the 1,6 and 7 go. If we have no problem scoring points then McInnes would be fine
I'd prefer others over McInnes for that reason, but I'd also say B. Smith is an attacking unorthodox hooker. He can also defend.