The Hooker position

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Wakeham goes on a massive steroid cycle and puts on about 10-15kgs of muscle then he would be a good choice at hooker...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of sense in what you say. However I dont believe even if we got a top hooker we could regularly challenge for top 4 for a few years. Our club has allowed mediocrity & poor results become normal & expected. I think we are going to have to re learn how to win over the next 2-4 years along with allowing out halves develop. It is for this phase that I see him being beneficial (despite dragons lack of success I see him as a winner). If we can pick up a top line attacking 9 i am for it, if not i see a lot of upsides from signing Mcinnes.
I don't think being a challenger for the top 4 by 2024 is out of the question and it should defiantly be the goal. If McInness was the only available hooker then I'd take him but I hope we aim higher. He can come in and do a job but there's a limit on how far he can take us.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Gotta be patient and steal Blayke Brailey

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
McInnes is a mid tier hooker for mine there is a big gap between Smith, Cook, Grant, Api and Hodgson and the rest.

I don't really see his versatility being a big plus if you're paying him big coin to play hooker?

I guess it all comes down to personal preference I'd rather roll the dice on Smith or Clarke over McInnes.
Versatility is massive in the current game, you don't necessarily want to sub your hooker off but you also don't want to play someone at 9 for 80.

Slide McIness to 13 as a distributer and have someone like Starling develop off the bench and provide spark is the way to go imo.

I dunno, if you put McIness on that 2019 Panthers team, I think they're just as good

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s one position pretty much everyone would agree we need to improve. The best options off contract in 21 look like Cameron McInnes, Sam Verrills and Jacob Liddell to me. Obviously Harry Grant and Brandon Smith in 22 it’s doubtful Melbourne can keep both. What are your thoughts on those and any other options for next year and beyond?
As it stands...
We will not be going for a hooker unless something extraordinary happens...
There is a belief that Katoa will do a good job, ironically he is training hard and has lost 6 kg already and working well on his dummy-half passing !
Let's not talk about how we managed to stuff up signing Koroisau :rage:

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every year a new crop of players come through we need to find the best one, get him early and for the right price and preferably a local junior.

Over the last few years our younger player have not developed at the same rate as other clubs - maybe with a completely revamped coaching staff we can start to get the most out of our juniors.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t want us to rush in and sign just any Hooker . I would like to see how Marshal King goes this season with a
better support crew and some decent coaching. I also wouldn’t mind seeing us give Wakeham a run there to see what he can produce. I think there is still 2 decent enough footballers there on small contracts who could improve out of site.

Reactions: fro

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think being a challenger for the top 4 by 2024 is out of the question and it should defiantly be the goal. If McInness was the only available hooker then I'd take him but I hope we aim higher. He can come in and do a job but there's a limit on how far he can take us.
I hope you are correct re '24 & agree with you on the ceiling for us with McInness, it may be where we are at though...thankfully all of this is 1000% better than where we have been as a club & supporters for far too long...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Liddle has missed most of the last two seasons with serious injuries. He's not an option. We definitely need to sign someone but it looks like we'll have to wait til next year to finally sign our marquee hooker.

ElMagic92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Baz will stick with JMK/Katoa next season I think. Look ahead to ‘22 for a signing I’d say.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
McInnes seems to be very underrated on here.
In my opinion he'd be a brilliant signing. He gets through a mountain of defensive work which is done at a very high standard.
His passing is fantastic and his running game is under rated.
His best assets are his competitiveness and professionalism. Going into 2022 with a young quality spine he'd be a leader in the squad and set a high standard and we'd be mad to not be making enquires.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion he'd be a brilliant signing. He gets through a mountain of defensive work which is done at a very high standard.
His best assets are his competitiveness and professionalism. Going into 2022 with a young quality spine he'd be a leader in the squad and set a high standard and we'd be mad to not be making enquires.
Yep this!!

Reactions: fro

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
"Best post."

fro

Waterboy
Reaction score
150% agree the bloke is an 80 minute machine

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hectic cheese

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It just needs to get sorted because we aren’t ever going to threaten with JMK or Katoa. There’s nothing on the horizon for 21 unless a miracle happens and a good hooker gets released. Daryl Clark is probably the most likely option if he is genuine about coming to the NRL. McInness and Liddell are upgrades on what we have but are still pretty mediocre in NRL standards. I’d take anyone out of Verrells, Grant or Smith in a heartbeat.

I just want the club to sort it out. Hooker has been a huge issue for far too long but with the current set up it does give me confidence that they will get it done.
Dont agree mcinnes is mediocre, his workrate is the most ive seen, he has skills and if st George didnt have him, they would have gotten the spoon imo.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If Wakeham goes on a massive steroid cycle and puts on about 10-15kgs of muscle then he would be a good choice at hooker...
Send him to Pattaya lol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dont agree mcinnes is mediocre, his workrate is the most ive seen, he has skills and if st George didnt have him, they would have gotten the spoon imo.
His work rate is great but that’s the only positive I see with him. It’s his skill set or lack of that I don’t like. He’s one of those players that gets lots of wraps for his effort plays and rightly so but it glosses over the deficiencies in other areas of his game. He seems to the type of player you either rate or don’t.