The Hooker position

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think Jacko can still be good if he didn't do so much defensive work. It was like he was tackling everyone all the time. If he had help to decrease his defensive work than he will have the energy in attack.
His defensive workload is pretty much what you'd expect from your starting backrower.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah but it seems like players around him dont help enough
Main concern about Jacko is his wage even with discount. Wanna open a premiership window, it's easier to do without his massive salary unfortunately. Frees up space for Doorey and Topine to both be in the 17 imo and then money can be spent on Leniu and an elite 9.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We nee
We need those effort players with a young squad in my opinion.
I see him as having a bit of a Ben Kennedy effect on the squad.
I doubt he leaves St George though, but I'd be very happy if we landed him.
we need more than an effort player from our hooker if we are genuinely going to become a top 4 team....we need a skilful holler who can dart from dummy half and who can make the right passes and has a great kicking game

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My hooker preference is
1. Grant (not gunna happen)
2. B.Brailey (likely in time as good mates with Flanno)
3. McInnes (will test the market apparently)
4. Clarke (no real indication he wants to be in NRL imo so that's why he's so low)
5. B.Smith (so low because he's a better lock imo)

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm,

So it’s clear to almost everybody that Grant would be the pick of the current hookers.

Maybe Cook too but I don't think he was as effective this year as he should have been.

Not 100% convinced Api would be next. But some say B Smith is the answer, well I have not seen enough of consistent footy at DH to see if he is any better than Api or McInnes. He may be but it is a risk.

I know many of you will scoff at this but I see JMK at the same stage of his development as when Cook was with us. Cook had to work real hard on his development to get where he is now. Yes JMK has been given the opportunity which he has not done much with, but what player actually improved under the previous coaching team?

I am ok if we go into next season without a recognised DH signing, however risks on B smith I say are equal with Daryl Clarke, and I had thought he had a clause in his contract if he wanted to go to the NRL.

What is definite, is we need a change at DH either a new coaching philosophy or a different player, maybe Tbaz is looking within because of limited availability outside. But first one that blinks I have no doubt movement will be made.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Jacko can still be good if he didn't do so much defensive work. It was like he was tackling everyone all the time. If he had help to decrease his defensive work than he will have the energy in attack.
Crap....he had Tolman doing a lot of the D. Lets face it Jackson is not fit.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Going by the interview with Bennett it sounds like he’s going to stick with what we have untill 2022... JMK, Katoa or wakeham. Then wait and spend big on a class A hooker when available. Atm there’s nothing out there.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I see Katoa as the primary hooker in 2021.

Last edited:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree, I wasn’t unhappy to see the back of Tolman. But he had a high work rate,someone has to play the minutes and make the tackles and hit ups he did.
hahahaha
Thank God he is gone

someone will take his spotand hopefully more quality runs

Malla

Reaction score
There is not a quality hooker on the market so no point bringing someone in for the sake of it.

I think JMK deserves a crack under Baz, and also am hearing Lewis might be used as a utility/hooker off the bench as well.

Mcinnes looks like he will be testing the open market but I think his price will be too high and probably not worth it however I think we do need an experienced hooker to play alongside our young core of halves. Much as I think he is a flog, someone like Friend woulda been perfect for us at the moment.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm,

So it’s clear to almost everybody that Grant would be the pick of the current hookers.

Maybe Cook too but I don't think he was as effective this year as he should have been.

Not 100% convinced Api would be next. But some say B Smith is the answer, well I have not seen enough of consistent footy at DH to see if he is any better than Api or McInnes. He may be but it is a risk.

I know many of you will scoff at this but I see JMK at the same stage of his development as when Cook was with us. Cook had to work real hard on his development to get where he is now. Yes JMK has been given the opportunity which he has not done much with, but what player actually improved under the previous coaching team?

I am ok if we go into next season without a recognised DH signing, however risks on B smith I say are equal with Daryl Clarke, and I had thought he had a clause in his contract if he wanted to go to the NRL.

What is definite, is we need a change at DH either a new coaching philosophy or a different player, maybe Tbaz is looking within because of limited availability outside. But first one that blinks I have no doubt movement will be made.
The only thing I'd say is different about Cook was when Ennis got injured he played the end of the season well to the point we didn't miss Ennis as much as I was expecting. Showed he could handle pressure games.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Josh Reynolds released from Tigers effect immediately and he follows us on Instagram