The Hooker position

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s one position pretty much everyone would agree we need to improve. The best options off contract in 21 look like Cameron McInnes, Sam Verrills and Jacob Liddell to me. Obviously Harry Grant and Brandon Smith in 22 it’s doubtful Melbourne can keep both. What are your thoughts on those and any other options for next year and beyond?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It just needs to get sorted because we aren’t ever going to threaten with JMK or Katoa. There’s nothing on the horizon for 21 unless a miracle happens and a good hooker gets released. Daryl Clark is probably the most likely option if he is genuine about coming to the NRL. McInness and Liddell are upgrades on what we have but are still pretty mediocre in NRL standards. I’d take anyone out of Verrells, Grant or Smith in a heartbeat.

I just want the club to sort it out. Hooker has been a huge issue for far too long but with the current set up it does give me confidence that they will get it done.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It just needs to get sorted because we aren’t ever going to threaten with JMK or Katoa. There’s nothing on the horizon for 21 unless a miracle happens and a good hooker gets released. Daryl Clark is probably the most likely option if he is genuine about coming to the NRL. McInness and Liddell are upgrades on what we have but are still pretty mediocre in NRL standards. I’d take anyone out of Verrells, Grant or Smith in a heartbeat.

I just want the club to sort it out. Hooker has been a huge issue for far too long but with the current set up it does give me confidence that they will get it done.
Guess that's why it's even more important that we make the right signing for this position also. That we don't rush things just because we need one this year.

For me I'd prefer to tie someone up for '22 and see how we go in '21, as long as that person for '22 is top shelf. And I've got a sneaky feeling we're doing that with Smith perhaps?

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
McInness would be great but I doubt it will happen. Otherwise we hope the new coaching staff can work wonders with the two stooges.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Get the Block of Cheese
I doubt Cheese will ever get his wish to play 9 in NRL and frankly any club that pays him 9 money is foolish. Simply because he’s a better back rower than he is a hooker. No matter how good you think he’ll go at hooker, he’ll go better in the back row. You’ll buy him as a hooker, pay the money for the hooker, and sooner or later to get the best out of him, move him to the back row because that’s where he plays best.

Move on, he’s not the hooker we should be targeting, and there’s no indication we are.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
RE: McIness.

Please explain
Tries hard and is good defensively but I think he’s rubbish in a attacking sense. He’s not the worst hooker but his creativity will always stop him from being a good one. He has never taken the Dragons to any great heights and he wouldn’t come cheap. I know others will disagree but I just don’t rate him that highly.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tries hard and is good defensively but I think he’s rubbish in a attacking sense. He’s not the worst hooker but his creativity will always stop him from being a good one. He has never taken the Dragons to any great heights and he wouldn’t come cheap. I know others will disagree but I just don’t rate him that highly.
I think the dragons issues are probably more due to a lack of production from the 6 & 7. He probably isn't in the top couple in attack but with his other attributes that you highlighted, along with him being a fantastic clubman by all accounts I would be happy to take him if it was at the right price. I suspect he would help the young halves we have (fingers crossed on Burton for 2021..) develop as well

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be totally honest, whilst I agree he is an instant massive upgrade on anything we currently have, I do agree with this. Great defender, gives 100%, but attack wise, I dont rate him very high. Decent.
I’d rather preserve in 21 with who we have and hope Barrett can get a little more out of them, then try to pounce hard in 22.
If Daryl Clarke was available then that changes it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the dragons issues are probably more due to a lack of production from the 6 & 7. He probably isn't in the top couple in attack but with his other attributes that you highlighted, along with him being a fantastic clubman by all accounts I would be happy to take him if it was at the right price. I suspect he would help the young halves we have (fingers crossed on Burton for 2021..) develop as well
If you want to make make the bottom of the top 8 then McInness is your man if you want anything more I doubt he can help you. How much would your right price be? He’s probably looking for a big deal as it would be his last big one. I’d say he would be looking for +$700k and I don’t think he’s worth that.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure with current coach and set up the contact would have been made to prospective players
B Smith
D Clarke
They would be my top two

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed !!

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to make make the bottom of the top 8 then McInness is your man if you want anything more I doubt he can help you. How much would your right price be? He’s probably looking for a big deal as it would be his last big one. I’d say he would be looking for +$700k and I don’t think he’s worth that.
There is a lot of sense in what you say. However I dont believe even if we got a top hooker we could regularly challenge for top 4 for a few years. Our club has allowed mediocrity & poor results become normal & expected. I think we are going to have to re learn how to win over the next 2-4 years along with allowing out halves develop. It is for this phase that I see him being beneficial (despite dragons lack of success I see him as a winner). If we can pick up a top line attacking 9 i am for it, if not i see a lot of upsides from signing Mcinnes.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We're not signing a hooker

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's got to be considered a top 6 hooker.
In no specific order, Smith, Cook, Grant, Api, Hodgson, McIness?

A few years ago he topped run meters for hookers. He's not as explosive as Cook, but he also doesn't get flustered like Cook when an attack breaks down also the versatility be brings, being able to play minutes at 13 is a big plus.

The biggest thing for me though is the experience and leadership he'd bring. People are talking about Smith whose a young guy who hasn't nailed down a full-time gig yet and Clarke who hasn't played a minute of NRL footy.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's got to be considered a top 6 hooker.
In no specific order, Smith, Cook, Grant, Api, Hodgson, McIness?

A few years ago he topped run meters for hookers. He's not as explosive as Cook, but he also doesn't get flustered like Cook when an attack breaks down also the versatility be brings, being able to play minutes at 13 is a big plus.

The biggest thing for me though is the experience and leadership he'd bring. People are talking about Smith whose a young guy who hasn't nailed down a full-time gig yet and Clarke who hasn't played a minute of NRL footy.
McInnes is a mid tier hooker for mine there is a big gap between Smith, Cook, Grant, Api and Hodgson and the rest.

I don't really see his versatility being a big plus if you're paying him big coin to play hooker?

I guess it all comes down to personal preference I'd rather roll the dice on Smith or Clarke over McInnes.