Soccer The Gunners Super Thread

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Guillem is usually spot on in regards to spanish transfers

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious though, if the fee was agreed between the clubs isn't that an offer made?

Balague said:
"Mata's clause to sign player cheaper (20-23m euros) finished yesterday. Clubs agreed fee, player happy to go but money didnt arrive..."

Why would Arsenal pay before they agree to terms with the player?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Just curious though, if the fee was agreed between the clubs isn't that an offer made?

Balague said:
"Mata's clause to sign player cheaper (20-23m euros) finished yesterday. Clubs agreed fee, player happy to go but money didnt arrive..."

Why would Arsenal pay before they agree to terms with the player?
A fee is agreed between the clubs but money wasnt given at that time... valencia gives permission for mata to negotiate a contract with Arsenal and mata is happy to agree but arsenal did not pay the agreed transfer fee...

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A fee is agreed between the clubs but money wasnt given at that time... valencia gives permission for mata to negotiate a contract with Arsenal and mata is happy to agree but arsenal did not pay the agreed transfer fee...
So Arsenal are to pay the transfer fee before Mata agrees to personal terms or even has a medical?

That's not the way it works. Once Arsenal bid over his buy-out clause they can then negotiated with him and pay after everything else is sorted. I was under the impression that a BID had to be made before the deadline, not a purchase...

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
yes thats what i was trying to say... once everybody is happy and things go through smoothly then arsenal can pay the fee... they dont pay the transfer straight away

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But what im saying is eventhough we haven't paid the fee before the deadline, the fact that we've made an offer should mean we still pay that same amount.

Almobro

Gunner
Reaction score
Man City are about to offer Nasri 22m, and Stoke are offering 9m for Bendter.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Man City are about to offer Nasri 22m, and Stoke are offering 9m for Bendter.
Wenger seems intent on ignoring offers for Nasri. I get a feeling the board will intervene and over rule. As for Bendtner, it is a good price.

Almobro

Gunner
Reaction score
Wenger seems intent on ignoring offers for Nasri. I get a feeling the board will intervene and over rule. As for Bendtner, it is a good price.
Yea I'm happy with the asking price for Bendter, hopefully we do keep Nasri.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
MIND OVER MATA
A bit on Juan Mata now, and we'll start with his old man.

"Valencia simply rejected their offer," said Mata's father to calciomercato.com. "After some hesitation they answered 'no' to the Gunners' offer. So my son remains a Valencia player, for now. But I don't think it's their last offer.

"There are several offers for Mata and I think that Arsenal will come forward again. The situation is still evolving. Are Inter Milan one of the interested teams? I know my son holds Milan in high esteem. We'll see if Inter will come forward directly."

Incidentally, call your dad. He probably misses you. Have a chat about the football.

Anyway, The Daily Telegraph reports that all this Mata nonsense is down to the Cesc Saga.

The paper claims: 'Until Monday Mata had a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave if a foreign club agreed to pay at least €21 million (£18 million).

'However, that deadline passed without Arsenal making a formal offer, meaning that Valencia can refuse to sell to any club who do not meet their own buy-out clause, understood to be €60 million (£52 million).'

They now want someone to come in with more money, and that someone is likely to be Manchester City.

According to the paper, part of Arsenal's reluctance to pay Valencia's asking price is down to the continued uncertainty over Fabregas. They want to pay for Mata with the Cesc money.

Could drag and drag this one.

STOKE WANT BENDTNER
Quick line from The Daily Mirror (and a few papers actually) now.

Tony Pulis is lining up a £9million bid for Nicklas Bendtner, it says here.

Look: 'The Stoke boss is weighing up a club record offer for Bendtner after the Denmark international's agents made contact over the weekend.

'Bendtner will be allowed to leave Arsenal this summer after enduring a difficult season last term, scoring only twice in the Premier League.

'Now Pulis is ready to offer the cocky 23-year-old a fresh start at the Britannia Stadium and the chance to stay in England.'

Hmmmm. Will Bendtner's ego cope with going to Stoke? Or will it be stroked by being the biggest fish in quite a rough and tumble pond?

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No formal offer? Seriously? What the hell is wrong with Wenger?!?!?! Arrggghhhh!!!

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you really want an answer to this? Lol.
lol I'd rather lie to myself and say that he had made and offer...

Hopefully this week is a more productive week. Wenger has APPARENTLY given Barca up until this Friday to produce our asking price or else they'll miss out on Fabregas. Also there's a rumour that we will be signing two players this week so fingers crossed.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One of those two is probably Leandro Diaz. We made a bid for him yesterday apparently.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of those two is probably Leandro Diaz. We made a bid for him yesterday apparently.
Well I heard 2 premier league players and 1 international player. I just assumed the International player was Mata so didn't include him.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Diaz plays in Argentina. There was a report from an Argentinian site yesterday saying we had made a bid.

I don't have the link as I'm on an iPad but it's on onlinearsenal.com/forums in the Rumour Mill section if you want to have a look.

Almobro

Gunner
Reaction score
By Giuseppe Muro

Tony Roberts admits the opportunity to take up a full-time coaching role at Arsenal was one he could not turn down after calling time on his illustrious 25-year playing career.

The 41-year-old, who celebrates his 42nd birthday on Thursday, recently hung up his gloves to become a full-time goalkeeping coach at the Club, where he will work alongside Gerry Peyton.

Roberts joined the first-team backroom staff last season, having spent two years with the Academy, fitting the role around his playing commitments with Dagenham and Redbridge, where he is the record appearance maker with over 400 games.

But, after 11 memorable years at the East London club, the former Wales international says the chance to go full-time this summer was one he had to take. 

“I didn’t need too much convincing, it’s Arsenal,” he told Arsenal.com. “When they ask you to go full-time you don’t think about it, it’s something that you have got to do.

“I’ve had a great career and have been going for 25 years. I was going to sign another year for Dagenham but when the opportunity arose to go full-time, I had to do it.

“It had been coming. Obviously, I wanted to play as long as I could but I had to hang up my gloves one day and now was a good time.”

Roberts will assist Peyton with the Club’s senior keepers as well as continuing to work closely with Neil Banfield and the Reserves.

“We’ve got six or seven goalkeepers that we look after and obviously Gerry can’t do it all on his own. We sit down with them and say what we expect from the goalkeepers at Arsenal.

“I’ve been working with Wojciech [Szczesny] and James [Shea] for a number of years and it seems to working.”

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like our champions league qualifier will be against one of the following:

(Netherlands) Twente
(Russia) Rubin Kazan
(Italy) Udinese
(Switzerland) Zürich
(Denmark) Odense

The draw will be made on Friday so we'll know by then. Hopefully an away leg first with a 4-5 goal lead going into our home leg just before our trip to OT. *fingers crossed*

Last edited by a moderator:

doggies 4 life

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
bad news on mata.

he is staying at valencia.

looks like gervinho and jenkinson will be our only signings this year