The fun fact thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
if You have some fun/weird facts this where too post those facts. No msm for facts though.

I’ll start off, I had no idea the first person to hypothesise the Big Bang theory was in fact a catholic priest lmfao. I had no idea about this and don’t even know how I feel about it lol.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/space/universe/origins-of-the-universe/
Many great astronomical discoveries and theories started with catholic priests or ones on their way to becoming catholic priests. Unfortunately at certain periods of time they had to do it against the church's wishes.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Many great astronomical discoveries and theories started with catholic priests or ones on their way to becoming catholic priests. Unfortunately at certain periods of time they had to do it against the church's wishes.
That’s very debatable as history has been written by many Protestants who absolutely loathe the Catholic Church. But nonetheless I’m looking more into it too make sure these priests weren’t secretly athiest demons hahaha. But from what I’ve read, the priest was like it shouslnt be priority for Catholics to find out how the universe was created by God as salvation is the most important thing for Catholics and if having the knowledge of the universe was a Way too salvation then god would have revealed it too us, but since it doesn’t help our chances too gwt into heaven it shouldn’t be priority

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s very debatable as history has been written by many Protestants who absolutely loathe the Catholic Church. But nonetheless I’m looking more into it too make sure these priests weren’t secretly athiest demons hahaha. But from what I’ve read, the priest was like it shouslnt be priority for Catholics to find out how the universe was created by God as salvation is the most important thing for Catholics and if having the knowledge of the universe was a Way too salvation then god would have revealed it too us, but since it doesn’t help our chances too gwt into heaven it shouldn’t be priority
Some of it is well documented, other parts are a bit hit and miss. There isn't enough documentation on what happened with Copernicus (who was studying to become a priest at one stage), but it's generally believed that during his life when he raised his theories the church didn't care much. It wasn't until long after Copernicus was dead and his theories started raising scientific schools that the church acted against it and attempted to ban his work. The major one being Galileo who was tried for Herasy because he studied Copernicus theory and talked about heliocentricity which the Catholic Church didn't like and until this day they still refuse to apologise for imprisoning Galileo and effectively killing him for studying science. Although some church leaders have hinted that what the church did was wrong.

One other interesting facts in the context of it. Even though people would have you believe that the church believed the earth was flat, it's quite the opposite. Since the dawn of the Catholic Church they have always supported the belief that the earth is round. The conjecture was over whether the earth was the centre of the Universe. Based on descriptions in Psalms and Genesis the Catholic Church believed that the Universe revolved around the Earth and to suggest otherwise was considered Heresy (Hence Galileo's incarceration)

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Corn flakes were originally meant to reduce libido and prevent masturbation as kellogs hated the idea of It.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some of it is well documented, other parts are a bit hit and miss. There isn't enough documentation on what happened with Copernicus (who was studying to become a priest at one stage), but it's generally believed that during his life when he raised his theories the church didn't care much. It wasn't until long after Copernicus was dead and his theories started raising scientific schools that the church acted against it and attempted to ban his work. The major one being Galileo who was tried for Herasy because he studied Copernicus theory and talked about heliocentricity which the Catholic Church didn't like and until this day they still refuse to apologise for imprisoning Galileo and effectively killing him for studying science. Although some church leaders have hinted that what the church did was wrong.

One other interesting facts in the context of it. Even though people would have you believe that the church believed the earth was flat, it's quite the opposite. Since the dawn of the Catholic Church they have always supported the belief that the earth is round. The conjecture was over whether the earth was the centre of the Universe. Based on descriptions in Psalms and Genesis the Catholic Church believed that the Universe revolved around the Earth and to suggest otherwise was considered Heresy (Hence Galileo's incarceration)
i dont know enough or really anything about galileo too comment so i wont shut you down hahaha, but im sure there is more too it than the mainstream history on it especially if the church wont apologize even till now. i think this is where religion will clash with non religious views on galileos treatment? But i am definitely interested into this topic now so thank you.

Yeah i agree the church did hold that view that the earth was the centre of the universe but like you said they taught that the earth was round and werent like some born agains and hillsongians who still believe the earth too be flat lol. in my personal opinion a flat earth and no universe takes away from what God can do/create. With the infinite universe it actually helps show how much powerful God actually is, that is my opinion on it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
if You have some fun/weird facts this where too post those facts. No msm for facts though.

I’ll start off, I had no idea the first person to hypothesise the Big Bang theory was in fact a catholic priest lmfao. I had no idea about this and don’t even know how I feel about it lol.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/space/universe/origins-of-the-universe/
Well if anyone is going to know about planets like Uranus and big explosions, it's gonna be a Catholic Priest.

Corn flakes were originally meant to reduce libido and prevent masturbation as kellogs hated the idea of It.
Explains why I don't eat breakfast :D

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well if anyone is going to know about planets like Uranus and big explosions, it's gonna be a Catholic Priest.

Explains why I don't eat breakfast :D
I’m offended you’ve hurt my feelings. Ban yourself lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Here's an interesting fact. 1-3% of people have psychopathic tendencies. A majority of successful business people have psychopathic tendencies.

Being a psychopath is actually very helpful. A study was carried out where they tested students for psychopathy. They then gave random people $100 and told them if they could go out in front of those students and effectively act like they didn't have $100 in their pocket then they could keep the money.

Every person who didn't register as having psychopathic tenancies didn't recognise any change. Every single person who had psychopathic tendencies could all tell that the people were hiding money in their pocket and they could tell the difference between those who had money and those who didn't, even when they used professional actors and conmen in the test.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
- Butterflies smell with their feet
- Frogs and toads breather through their skin througha process called cutaneous gas exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.