The Bulldogs best ever forward?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Robert Relf used to love a punch-on.
Aahhh memories, back when RL was interesting and unpredictable, compared to the sanitised PC crap product they trot out now.
He threw a ripper punch from the back of the scrum and nailed Tallis in that 95 semi. He got away with it too because Tallis and Pay ended up in the bin.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
He threw a ripper punch from the back of the scrum and nailed Tallis in that 95 semi. He got away with it too because Tallis and Pay ended up in the bin.
That was a great game in the wet.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is really difficult to pick from different eras when a lot of people on a forum are not old enough to have seen players who played 50 years ago or more. To me the forward who got the Berries as we were then known into an era where we started to be competitive was Kevin Ryan who was our captain coach in the late 60's early 70's. Nicknamed Kandos for good reason. Hard as a rock.

A few years later we had Bobby McCarthy for a couple of years and he showed a young team including the Mortimer and the Hughes brothers how to win. 2 years after he finished we were in the GF and then went on a run of 4 premierships in 8 years

Players of past eras didn't have the superior training methods that are available today. Hence the game was slower then but I dare say that past players had to use passing skills to create space with a 3 yard and then a 5 metre rule in existence.

It is also difficult to pick best ever teams when those judging the thing have only been watching the game for 20 years or less.

A perfect example of this is very few on this forum have seen Les Johns play. Certainly the best and most skill full fullback of my lifetime and in a three way contest with Steve Mortimer and Terry Lamb as the best Bulldog of my lifetime.
Nice review Mr Russell
Hope you are well

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Last 20 years - probably Willie Mason. SBW was probably the most gifted, just didn’t play enough games for us. Ogre, Steve Price and Andrew Ryan at their peak deserve an honourable mention.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Sonny Bill Williams our best ever and daylight second
Let's see...

2003 - Suffered a season-ending injury early preventing him from making his FG debut
2004 - Suffered an injury missing a large chunk of the season
2005 - Suffered a long-term injury early on in the year, and in his first game back, suffered a season-ending injury in his first hit-up, and got caught DUI
2006 - Suffered a minor injury during the season. Was also caught in the toilets with Candace Falzon
2007 - Got sent-off in the match against Newcastle
2008 - Do I even need to say what happened then?

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Bulldogs have had some great forwards over the years but who was the best ever forward?

Steve price who gobbled up the metres and was a big body? Great leader

James Graham who at his best was a fierce opponent, never took a backward step, had Vasoline, bit Billy Slater, cracked Sam Burgess head, kept his own players accountable, the good friday souths game killed him. Be was also like an extra halfback on the field.

Michael Ennis, smart player who was all heart and fought for every inch, ultra competitor

Jason smith, tough as nails, did everything in slow motion but controlled the game like no other.

But my pick..... Drums....

DAVID STAGG... To me every team needs a David Stagg, just tackle all day and all night, cover everyone's mistakes and take the load off the more talented forwards. Not scared to take a hitup but tackle tackle tackle tackle was his thing . We made a grand final on the back of the David Stagg tackling machine. Our best every forward.
I actually think that Stagg and Grimaldi are in the same category.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see...

2003 - Suffered a season-ending injury early preventing him from making his FG debut
2005 - Suffered a long-term injury early on in the year, and in his first game back, suffered a season-ending injury in his first hit-up, and got caught DUI
2006 - Suffered a minor injury during the season. Was also caught in the toilets with Candace Falzon
IMO he is the best fwd I have seen in my 35 years of watching the dogs. He had it all, superior D, attack and timing. He could single handedly change the momentum of a game and did so on many occasions.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Probably not the best, but from an entertainment perspective Robbo was my favourite player to watch as a kid.

Belmore used to rise as one when he took on the defensive line - the noise was incredible.
Nothing better than Belmore on a Sunday afternoon with Robbo steaming onto the ball! If only our current pack of powder puffs showed even half as much heart... Robbo would have been lucky to make $200 - $300 bucks for a win. Some of these big girls' blouses make $60,000 a month when they lose.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
IMO he is the best fwd I have seen in my 35 years of watching the dogs. He had it all, superior D, attack and timing. He could single handedly change the momentum of a game and did so on many occasions.
I know my views are tainted like most of the blue and white army, but Sonny Bill really doesn't make that much of an impression when I think back. If he had stayed for a decent amount of time, sure he would be in the 'best ever' team... which he may well be for League in general, but not for the 'Dogs.

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing better than Belmore on a Sunday afternoon with Robbo steaming onto the ball! If only our current pack of powder puffs showed even half as much heart... Robbo would have been lucky to make $200 - $300 bucks for a win. Some of these big girls' blouses make $60,000 a month when they lose.
Remember that they used to play this song pre-game?

Everyone used to join in with the "OOF".

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noone really mentioned is ahead of David Stagg. Everyone team needs a workhorse to get to a grand final.

Look at storm last year, finnucane tackling machine as well as Cameron Smith. Storm coach Bellamy said he picks finnucane first and everyone else around him.

Panthers had that front rower who was a workhorse James Fisher Harris

Sam Burgess for souths

Corey parker broncos

David Stagg was our workhorse, made everyone look better than they were. Look what happened the next year he retired.. highlighted how soft our pack was, noone wanted to roll up the sleeves

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably Steve Folkes for value think he is our only forward to win 4 GF's. Andrew Ryan was fantastic also.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know who the best bulldogs forward is there have been so many but if I had to name one the ogre would get my vote. More opposition forwards have come undone trying to get even with Mark O'Meley than any other :grinning:

Last edited:

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let's see...

2003 - Touted as the best junior coming through the game had ever seen
2004 - One of the best debuts by a bulldog, contibutes heavily to smashing parramatta 48-14. Goes on to win a premiership in his first year, multiple hits from this year still featured in highlight videos
2005 - Fought gallantly through injury whilst trying to help the club through its greatest injury toll in the NRL era.
2006 - Another strong season as the Dogs make it through to another Prelim. Contributes heavily and steps up and starts to become a senior member of the pack. Fucks the future Australian Cricket Vice Captains wife
2007 - Ended Andrew Johns career with a flying swinging arm, another strong season as the Dogs make it through to the semis.
2008 - Kicks off his dream of back packing through Europe, signs largest ever rugby contract

guess its all about perspective haha

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Noone really mentioned is ahead of David Stagg. Everyone team needs a workhorse to get to a grand final.

Look at storm last year, finnucane tackling machine as well as Cameron Smith. Storm coach Bellamy said he picks finnucane first and everyone else around him.

Panthers had that front rower who was a workhorse James Fisher Harris

Sam Burgess for souths

Corey parker broncos

David Stagg was our workhorse, made everyone look better than they were. Look what happened the next year he retired.. highlighted how soft our pack was, noone wanted to roll up the sleeves
Grimaldi won a premiership with us, Stagg didn't.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
There’s to many greats to pick from... Cement was always my hero as a kid...it was always great to have a player in the team that scared the opposition