The Bulldogs best ever forward?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have had some great forwards over the years but who was the best ever forward?

Steve price who gobbled up the metres and was a big body? Great leader

James Graham who at his best was a fierce opponent, never took a backward step, had Vasoline, bit Billy Slater, cracked Sam Burgess head, kept his own players accountable, the good friday souths game killed him. Be was also like an extra halfback on the field.

Michael Ennis, smart player who was all heart and fought for every inch, ultra competitor

Jason smith, tough as nails, did everything in slow motion but controlled the game like no other.

But my pick..... Drums....

DAVID STAGG... To me every team needs a David Stagg, just tackle all day and all night, cover everyone's mistakes and take the load off the more talented forwards. Not scared to take a hitup but tackle tackle tackle tackle was his thing . We made a grand final on the back of the David Stagg tackling machine. Our best every forward.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have had some great forwards over the years but who was the best ever forward?

James Graham who at his best was a fierce opponent, never took a backward step, had Vasoline, bit Billy Slater, cracked Sam Burgess head, kept his own players accountable, the good friday souths game killed him. Be was also like an extra halfback on the field.

Michael Ennis, smart player who was all heart and fought for every inch, ultra competitor

Jason smith, tough as nails, did everything in slow motion but controlled the game like no other.

DAVID STAGG... To me every team needs a David Stagg, just tackle all day and all night, cover everyone's mistakes and take the load off the more talented forwards. Not scared to take a hitup but tackle tackle tackle tackle was his thing . We made a grand final on the back of the David Stagg tackling machine. Our best every forward.
Every team needs a Willie and a Stagg.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends on the Category?

Longevity and Loyalty: Steve Folkes Rip.

Toughest: Peter Kelly/O'Meley

The list goes on. Our best year's were in the forwards and didn't we have a few.

Maybe you can categorise them and come up with a pound for pound winner.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

You clearly havnt been watching the bulldogs very long!

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I have so many from different eras but my personal favourite is Frank “The Tank” Pritchard. What a fuckin weapon! I have seen him smack the absolute dog piss out of some unlucky bastards! Top bloke to boot too

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our 06 pack were outstanding collectively
I always liked Steve reardon and tony grimaldi

headphonehouse

New Pup
Reaction score
Definately NOT James Graham.

Hated the way he constantly fell into tackles.

Cant really recall a game he had so much impact in he influenced the result other than when he took out Adam Reynolds and cost us a game at the death.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
from our early years, Eddie Burns and Frank Sponberg were highly rated... Kevin Ryan inspired our team to end the Dragons 11 year run but he only played a couple seasons for us

that I have watched, we had a number of great forwards in the 80's but the two that stood out most for me were Peter Kelly and David Gillespie... for the record, Paul Langmack was probably our most underrated forward... too often I think fans judge Langmack on his post career boofheadedness and not what he achieved on the field --> a better footballer than Wayne Pearce IMO

Dean Pay probably gets the nod for the 90's... he could play prop or in the back row, part of the 1995 premiership winning team, tough, played Origin and for Australia... Darren Smith was one of the most dependable players we have had... at one point or another, I watched him play centre, five-eighth, second row, hooker or off the bench for us

Steve Price probably is our best ever in terms of longevity, success, ability etc. even though I didn't appreciate his exit from the club in 2004

of the Bling Boys, Mason and SBW stand out even though I REALLY didn't appreciate their exits from the club in 2007 and 2008

I don't think any player since is in the conversation

longy0303

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
from our early years, Eddie Burns and Frank Sponberg were highly rated... Kevin Ryan inspired our team to end the Dragons 11 year run but he only played a couple seasons for us

that I have watched, we had a number of great forwards in the 80's but the two that stood out most for me were Peter Kelly and David Gillespie... for the record, Paul Langmack was probably our most underrated forward... too often I think fans judge Langmack on his post career boofheadedness and not what he achieved on the field --> a better footballer than Wayne Pearce IMO

Dean Pay probably gets the nod for the 90's... he could play prop or in the back row, part of the 1995 premiership winning team, tough, played Origin and for Australia... Darren Smith was one of the most dependable players we have had... at one point or another, I watched him play centre, five-eighth, second row, hooker or off the bench for us

Steve Price probably is our best ever in terms of longevity, success, ability etc. even though I didn't appreciate his exit from the club in 2004

of the Bling Boys, Mason and SBW stand out even though I REALLY didn't appreciate their exits from the club in 2007 and 2008

I don't think any player since is in the conversation
good review. although i cant remember the earliest mentions. agree with your description from the 80's onward.