Telstra making pay phones free during covid

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I can only think of 5 Telstra phone boxes still around these days and they're always empty. No one uses them anymore. They're an expense to Telstra, they should just decommission them all and send them off to the Museums.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone remember the old Telecom/Telstra phone cards? You'd buy them prepaid and can use the public pay phones lol. This was before the days of the Nokika 5110.

View attachment 27833
I remember going up to a phone booth, dialing reverse charges, and when it went through to my dad the message he got was:

"you have received a reverse charges call from, 'hey dad I'm at the train station pick me up', do you want to accept the call?"

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Another reason to remember select mobile numbers now is Pay-ID - way better than BSB and Account numbers and the payment goes through instantly too.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every red phone box I went in in London was just being used as a toilet.
Never used the public phones in London, apart from the ones in pubs, and my office phone in Threadneedle Street.
In later times I had a mobile.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Anyone remember the old Telecom/Telstra phone cards? You'd buy them prepaid and can use the public pay phones lol. This was before the days of the Nokika 5110.

View attachment 27833
Remember the trick where you used to patch up the holes with putty to reuse the card?

I found a way to access the used ones that people used to put them in the used slot under the phone, patch them up and sell them for half price at school.

Made a killing because all the boys would call the phone sex numbers lol

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
This is just like the sit here stickers

They want people to get covid

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Bit of an empty gesture. So all pay phones are free. The condition is you need to find one.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty handy if you're a teenager wanting to make prank calls that can't be traced back to a mobile.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I tried it and can confirm it works but I reckon the phone I tried it on was the first time a call has been on it in a decade.