Telstra making pay phones free during covid

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Remember the trick where you used to patch up the holes with putty to reuse the card?

I found a way to access the used ones that people used to put them in the used slot under the phone, patch them up and sell them for half price at school.

Made a killing because all the boys would call the phone sex numbers lol
BWAHAHAHAHAHA. FMD that's funny as bro. I never used the putty trick but I did hear about it. Good times.

Those are the memories and things about my childhood that I miss lol.

Last edited:

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
They should always be free!!! Just leave them their for emergencies…it could save lives

Wahesh

Reaction score
They should always be free!!! Just leave them their for emergencies…it could save lives
Everyone has a phone in their pocket these days (perhaps except primary students). The pay phones cost money to run and maintain, are unhygienic, are a safety hazard (public liability, broken glass etc...) and are more or less a thing of the past. They're also unprofitable so from Telstra's perspective they cost more money than they make.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone has a phone in their pocket these days (perhaps except primary students). The pay phones cost money to run and maintain, are unhygienic, are a safety hazard (public liability, broken glass etc...) and are more or less a thing of the past. They're also unprofitable so from Telstra's perspective they cost more money than they make.
Phones run out of batteries… people need help in emergency situations…someone might need to just talk to family or friends and have no money! …not everything should be about profit. We pay enough taxes in this country as it is. What about some empathy for a change.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Phones run out of batteries… people need help in emergency situations…someone might need to just talk to family or friends and have no money! …not everything should be about profit. We pay enough taxes in this country as it is. What about some empathy for a change.
Telstra are not a charity.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Telstra is run 51% by the Federal government. Maintaining a few regional phone boxes won’t break the bank. Btw it’s the same government that has allowed immigrants to settle in Australia to start a better life for themselves and their children … maybe “Waheesh”have a look in the mirror before you start judging who doesn’t deserve help in this country

Wahesh

Reaction score
Telstra is run 51% by the Federal government. Maintaining a few regional phone boxes won’t break the bank. Btw it’s the same government that has allowed immigrants to settle in Australia to start a better life for themselves and their children … maybe “Waheesh”have a look in the mirror before you start judging who doesn’t deserve help in this country
Telstra is OWNED by shareholders, not the Government.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Telstra was fully privatised about 10 years back. The government no longer has a stake in it, but they do still have deals in place that help both government and Telstra.