Tbaz on 2KY

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, I felt a bit funny about it when the rumors were flying around. But when he actually signed I was happy with it.
One thing that always came to my mind was that he'd be determined and hungry to make right for what happened at manly.
He's at a good young age for a FG coach and has that modern approach to the game.
He's got FG coaching experience and not to forget he got Manly to 6th spot to play finals in his second year as Head coach.
Manly was a basket case then and they haven't improved much since Desball went back. They're single dependent on Tommy's hamstrings and his brother is trying to be James Graham. TB won't make the same mistakes he did at Manly where he tried to be everything to everyone and got dragged into player conflicts etc that had nothing to do with his core responsibilities.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Out of interest I’d like to hear from those on here who weren’t impressed when we announced Barrett has coach. I wonder if their stance on this has now changed and support the acquisition. I know it’s early days but I feel Barrett can be our equivalent to Bennett for Broncos.
Initially I had my doubts but a few months on, a few very good signings later & a clear vision moving forward I’m backing Baz to get us back to the top. It’s all aboard the Baz bandwagon for me lol

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz sais all the right things.
I know we are still underdone in key positions but love the fact that the club is determined to get recruitment right instead of panic buying.
Not expecting big things next year and Im fine with that. Still, confident on improvement on previous years.
Sounds like the Club is building wisely for years to come. Very happy with the way things are going.
I think the same way that over the last 2 seasons we led and then lost close games because we didn't have the ability to know how to win them. Whether we make the eight next year or not, I'm looking forward to a better and smarter team. Beyond that I'm anticipating a winning team.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the same way that over the last 2 seasons we led and then lost close games because we didn't have the ability to know how to win them. Whether we make the eight next year or not, I'm looking forward to a better and smarter team. Beyond that I'm anticipating a winning team.
Yeah. I dont want to dump on Pay but he continuously said we were building yet nothing progressed. I suppose what could he say, he was in a pretty shitty position. Baz hasnt said anything along those lines. Hes just told us there's alot of hard work ahead. Infact the only thing ive heard him say with conviction is that the team will be fit come round 1. At this point I believe him.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. I dont want to dump on Pay but he continuously said we were building yet nothing progressed. I suppose what could he say, he was in a pretty shitty position. Baz hasnt said anything along those lines. Hes just told us there's alot of hard work ahead. Infact the only thing ive heard him say with conviction is that the team will be fit come round 1. At this point I believe him.
Pay was way out of his depth and didn't have a plan other than buying for time and hope for the best. This was evident in the way the team played. 5 one out hit ups and bomb on the last and hope the opposition made a mistake. He had no idea how to improve each player's skill, fitness, strength or speed. It doesn't matter how many games duds and rookies like Wakeham, Lewis and co played. Those players and Pay did not have the natural talent to become competent at the NRL level. The reality is if your team is full of players with inferior talent then the only way they can compete is to become extremely fit and much fitter than the opposition to compensate for the lack of talent. That's what Novak did to be able to compete with Federer. In our case Pay and those dud players did very little re their fitness.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our completion rate was always pretty good but we were incapable of doing anything with it. I'm certain Flanagan, Thommo and Cotric alone will see a big improvement in field position and converting possession into points. And the better coaching and clearer expectations will improve plenty of other players.

Very interested to see if any off contract players find a new level and whether any young guys step up. Averillo showed some rare evasiveness (for us!) a few times last year and he could really kick on in a good structure and more confidence. Hope he can settle into one position. Hetherington is a big key to how well we go I reckon, but there's plenty of good reasons to be much more optimistic in 2020.