Tbaz on 2KY

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Out of interest I’d like to hear from those on here who weren’t impressed when we announced Barrett has coach. I wonder if their stance on this has now changed and support the acquisition. I know it’s early days but I feel Barrett can be our equivalent to Bennett for Broncos.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Out of interest I’d like to hear from those on here who weren’t impressed when we announced Barrett has coach. I wonder if their stance on this has now changed and support the acquisition. I know it’s early days but I feel Barrett can be our equivalent to Bennett for Broncos.
No doubt Tbaz has impressed with the roster and coaching staff he’s built plus he’s been impressive with what he’s been saying but until he delivers on the field it’s way too premature to make Bennett like predictions.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be honest, I felt a bit funny about it when the rumors were flying around. But when he actually signed I was happy with it.
One thing that always came to my mind was that he'd be determined and hungry to make right for what happened at manly.
He's at a good young age for a FG coach and has that modern approach to the game.
He's got FG coaching experience and not to forget he got Manly to 6th spot to play finals in his second year as Head coach.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You’ll get me shot’: Barrett coy over fresh Penrith raid as he makes Cleary-Flanagan comparison
1608266946518.png

New Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett has drawn comparisons between his Canterbury outfit and the Penrith side that reached 2020’s NRL grand final, while refusing to rule out fresh bids for some of the Panthers’ off-contract stars.

Barrett returned to head coaching straight after being part of the Panthers coaching staff that saw them clinch the minor premiership before losing the grand final to Melbourne.

Seen by many as the catalyst for Penrith’s turnaround in 2020, the ex-Manly coach is charged with the same task at Canterbury.

And Barrett says he can see familiar elements to the Panthers as he seeks to end the Dogs’ finals drought.

“There is some similarity between Nathan Cleary and Kyle Flanagan,” he told Sky Sports Radio. “Kyle will have his hands on the ball a lot as did Nathan.

“There will be a few things that we will change because it depends on personnel.

“We were pretty blessed out there at Penrith with some really good individual strike players"

“My job as a coach, especially in attack, is to get our best players the ball at the right times on the right part of the field and blokes like (Viliame) Kikau and (Stephen) Crichton – we were a little bit lucky with them out at Penrith.

“We’re getting there now, (Raymond Faitala-Mariner) is one that’s stood out for me. There’s a bit of Kikau about him actually, he’s a big body and a bit of a weapon on an edge.

“Our attack will morph into sort of what it wants to be through the course of the year.

“At the start of the year it’s just really important we complete our sets, defend really well and hang onto the footy.”

Nick Cotric (Raiders) and Kyle Flanagan (Roosters) and Josh Addo-Carr will join after the 2021 season.

Most notably, however, has been his penchant for raiding the Panthers for players.

Jack Hetherington joins for 2021, while Matt Burton follows the year after.

Now attention turns to off-contract Penrith centre Stephen Crichton who headlines a long list of Panthers stars without a club for 2022.

“You’ll get me shot,” Barrett laughed when asked about signing more Panthers players. “There’s a few out there I wouldn’t mind.

“I don’t think I’ll be welcome back there for a while.

“There’s still spots there. We’re still working hard behind the scenes to fill them, we’ve got a couple of good kids here in our juniors too that if we don’t get who we want or we can’t get them for the following year, that we’ll probably bring through.

“We’re still working really hard there and we’ve got room but there’s probably only two or three that we’ve really targeted that we want to bring in.”

fro

Waterboy
Reaction score
No doubt Tbaz has impressed with the roster and coaching staff he’s built plus he’s been impressive with what he’s been saying but until he delivers on the field it’s way too premature to make Bennett like predictions.
Your only as good as the cattle on the field LET him build the team he wants then be judgemental. He certainly gives the impression that he’s got the smarts and being a former half himself has to be a plus for the side going forward. I’m more than happy to potentially wait till 2022 to have and support the team he assembles then before judging TBaz. Very impressed with the direction he is going and it would be refreshing to see the dogs taking pride in the jersey and win lose or draw give 100%
Go dogs you good things

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your only as good as the cattle on the field LET him build the team he wants then be judgemental. He certainly gives the impression that he’s got the smarts and being a former half himself has to be a plus for the side going forward. I’m more than happy to potentially wait till 2022 to have and support the team he assembles then before judging TBaz. Very impressed with the direction he is going and it would be refreshing to see the dogs taking pride in the jersey and win lose or draw give 100%
Go dogs you good things
Who said I’m judging him? It’s impossible to judge him either way until he has actually coached some games here. It’s exciting what he’s done so far but his record as a head coach is patchy and there’s no guarantees in rugby league.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I had reservations after the Manly debacle..
However I hope to have those reservations disproved. History has shown many coaches dont work in a place, time & team for whatever reason, then come back with another team & have fantastic results. I hope Baz & the Dogs are the right combo at the right time. Only time will tell. What is fantastic though is actually looking forward to the start of a season & expecting to do well, a nice change from recent years...GO THE DOGS!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm sure he either played alond side or coached Barrett at the steelers.
Yep, Farrar was Baz’s coach at both the Steelers and Dragons so it makes sense. I just hadn’t heard he’d come back into the fold and given he only left two years ago it’s a quick return but must’ve been related to someone no longer there. Never a dull moment!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, Farrar was Baz’s coach at both the Steelers and Dragons so it makes sense. I just hadn’t heard he’d come back into the fold and given he only left two years ago it’s a quick return but must’ve been related to someone no longer there. Never a dull moment!
No one stays away forever at the Bulldogs!

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was a bit miffed when Trent was announced as our new coach, but he didn't take long to win me over. The signings have been great and I've really enjoyed listening to Trent's interviews on the radio.I'm sure we are now on the right track and looking forward to watching the Dogs play attractive football again.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And also what are we going to do on the 4th tackle in the opposition 20 now that Tolman is gone?? That needs to be addressed as well
Oh, haven't you heard, we are going straight from the 3rd to the 5th, no 4th with us.

Go Dogs

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We have to be getting addo Carr for this year surely had to be why we let Reimis go there imagine cotric addo Carr and burton rocking up to training in January i will jizz my pants
I think so too. We must be waiting and following a process to work around the heads of agreement with the tigers

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we don't get releases early, which I also assume 1 or even 2 more of our targets will be in that category too (e.g. B. Smith), there's a big difference in the salary cap between them and minimum wage, or close to minimum wage, juniors. It'll be interesting how we spend 95% of the salary cap in that scenario. I would of thought we'd have to sign some mercenaries for 1 year on good money or top up contracts (if we're allowed to do that).
Can we pay existing contracts in advance if we have spare $$. ie. opposite of Hasler. That would free up $$ in later years. Not sure NRL rules on that?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Speaking of shuffles and imitating players of the era, as a kid I used to practice goal kicking over the palm tree in my front yard with a Bulldogs branded footy pretending to be Ross Conlon :-).
There's blast from the past, Ross Conlon, he could sure kick goals that bloke, over 600 in his NRL career if I remember rightly. First player I had ever heard of dislocating a hip. Could never work out why Ryan dropped him in '84 after he had just payed for City, NSW and Australia.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There's blast from the past, Ross Conlon, he could sure kick goals that bloke, over 600 in his NRL career if I remember rightly. First player I had ever heard of dislocating a hip. Could never work out why Ryan dropped him in '84 after he had just payed for City, NSW and Australia.
Probably because he either gave the Wok some lip or went against instructions and was banished - and left the club. Must’ve been a shock in ‘88 when the Wok became his coach again at the Tigers. And we beat both of them in the GF that year - I still remember walking into a shiny new SFS for its first GF that year - and what a result - I’ll never forget Michael Hagan’s try, check it out here around the 7min mark :-).

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They changed it a couple of years back in regards to front loading and back loading. I think they limited how much you could do it or something like that. I'm not sure myself. I think front loading can be very beneficial as it could allow us to retain players for cheaper down the line.
Agreed mate, could be beneficial for us even if it’s capped, we could utilise it in 2021

Master Coach

Waterboy
Reaction score
After listening to baz today it confirms our back row - RFM, Jacko & Elliot.