Strayan Big Cats Diary

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Alan or anal? I get them mixed up

That's the least direct way that I've been called an asshole so far this week.

I've heard they're both painful in real life.

@Alan79 can you confirm?

I'm commonly known as a pain in the ass. It's generally got very little to do with penetration though.
@Alan79 remember anything before second knuckle is not gay
I follow the rule book of a country vet. If there's any chance of going in to the armpit, that's how far you go in.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving through Sydney's west and near houses but also near bushland I saw what looked like a mid sized dog.. but it had a really long long tail. It wasn't a dog, nor do I think it was it a cat ..

Could it be a fox or dingo or something ? It was out in the wild , it's face looked different and would be within 100 metres of houses..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stray overgrown feral cats, escaped Panthers from a circus, U.S army mascots released after WW2 or maybe introduced as exotic pets or hunting targets.
There are big cats lurking in our bushland.

There are documented cases where people have sent suspected big cat fecies and also leopard scat from a zoo to goverment funded laboratories and both samples have come back as wild dog. So don't expect any admission from the authorities.

Here is a space for the naysayers, and to document any experiences or stories, second hand or not of big cat sightings in Oz.

I have not personally had any experiences but I have seen claw marks on trees around the 5 to 6 foot mark while in remote bushland. I have done work for several farmers who have discovered deceased livestock in a condition which they say clearly differentiates from a wild dog attack. Including claw marks with inches between each scratching and animals wedged into trees 10 or more feet off the ground.
Rounding injured cattle with puncture wounds in the neck and claw marks elsewhere etc.

I have grown an interest in this subject and am keen to read your stories.
I've seen one.

30 years ago. Camping, west of Hill End with a mate. We had a 1964 Landrover, he modified with a Holden 186 engine. It could climb walls.

He was an expert bushman, and we went off road to an old mining camp. This place doesn't exist on a map. No buildings, but signs of where they were; an old stone culvert and lots of open shafts that were covered by the scrub. Why we stayed there was that someone had planted an orchard 100 years earlier, and there were a few fruit trees. He was teaching me how to survive in the bush. Our camps were always alcohol and drug free.

I was collectiing firewood, and was under a medium size cliff when I heard a noise above me that was somewhere between a scream and a roar. When I looked up, there was a large cat-like animal looking down at me. Because of its elevation and the open sky behind, it was difficult to judge its size, but it looked big - around the size of a Husky dog. It was grey, with tan markings, and had a broad head. I thought it looked like the extinct carnivore, Thylacaleo (look it up). It made sure I knew that if it could get down, it would love to come and say hello.

I ran back to our camp, where we had rifles and ammunition, told my mate. He said, "yeah, I know about it". I asked what it was, and he replied "Cat. I'd be more worried about feral dogs and pigs if I were you".

Thing is, if there were real leopards or panthers, or Thylacaleo, they'd have to be in numbers of at least 1,000 to keep breeding. With that many, we'd have to have hard evidence by now. It seems that any photos of these creatures are taken by people who can't focus an auto focus camera, or are deliberately faking the pic.

I still can't explain what it was I saw. I told the Australian Sceptics, for their records, but they were convinced I had been drinking, or confusing its size because of the distance and horizon effect .

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was driving through Sydney's west and near houses but also near bushland I saw what looked like a mid sized dog.. but it had a really long long tail. It wasn't a dog, nor do I think it was it a cat ..

Could it be a fox or dingo or something ? It was out in the wild , it's face looked different and would be within 100 metres of houses..
There are foxes all over Sydney. I've seen one a couple of times in Birrong - running along the railway lines at the station, and at the local high school. Probably came from the Water Board land at Potts Hill.

Rookwood cemetery is home to a few - they keep the rabbits under control.

Brush Tail Possums can get quite large too.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I follow the rule book of a country vet. If there's any chance of going in to the armpit, that's how far you go in.
Aaah, takes me back to the farm, just make sure you get your arm out quick and take a few quick steps back.

Jabba the Mutt

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Stray overgrown feral cats, escaped Panthers from a circus, U.S army mascots released after WW2 or maybe introduced as exotic pets or hunting targets.
There are big cats lurking in our bushland.

There are documented cases where people have sent suspected big cat fecies and also leopard scat from a zoo to goverment funded laboratories and both samples have come back as wild dog. So don't expect any admission from the authorities.

Here is a space for the naysayers, and to document any experiences or stories, second hand or not of big cat sightings in Oz.

I have not personally had any experiences but I have seen claw marks on trees around the 5 to 6 foot mark while in remote bushland. I have done work for several farmers who have discovered deceased livestock in a condition which they say clearly differentiates from a wild dog attack. Including claw marks with inches between each scratching and animals wedged into trees 10 or more feet off the ground.
Rounding injured cattle with puncture wounds in the neck and claw marks elsewhere etc.

I have grown an interest in this subject and am keen to read your stories.
I was actually part of a team which conducted genetic research on feral cat interrelatedness in a semi rural region of NSW in the 90's.

All samples (generally little pieces of trapped cat ears) came back as plain old cat. Faecal samples were the same.

There were certainly some big cats trapped but never saw or heard of anything which would indicate the existence of an exotic species.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of speculation about big cats out in the wild but noone ever sees em

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen one.

30 years ago. Camping, west of Hill End with a mate. We had a 1964 Landrover, he modified with a Holden 186 engine. It could climb walls.

He was an expert bushman, and we went off road to an old mining camp. This place doesn't exist on a map. No buildings, but signs of where they were; an old stone culvert and lots of open shafts that were covered by the scrub. Why we stayed there was that someone had planted an orchard 100 years earlier, and there were a few fruit trees. He was teaching me how to survive in the bush. Our camps were always alcohol and drug free.

I was collectiing firewood, and was under a medium size cliff when I heard a noise above me that was somewhere between a scream and a roar. When I looked up, there was a large cat-like animal looking down at me. Because of its elevation and the open sky behind, it was difficult to judge its size, but it looked big - around the size of a Husky dog. It was grey, with tan markings, and had a broad head. I thought it looked like the extinct carnivore, Thylacaleo (look it up). It made sure I knew that if it could get down, it would love to come and say hello.

I ran back to our camp, where we had rifles and ammunition, told my mate. He said, "yeah, I know about it". I asked what it was, and he replied "Cat. I'd be more worried about feral dogs and pigs if I were you".

Thing is, if there were real leopards or panthers, or Thylacaleo, they'd have to be in numbers of at least 1,000 to keep breeding. With that many, we'd have to have hard evidence by now. It seems that any photos of these creatures are taken by people who can't focus an auto focus camera, or are deliberately faking the pic.

I still can't explain what it was I saw. I told the Australian Sceptics, for their records, but they were convinced I had been drinking, or confusing its size because of the distance and horizon effect .
With all your bush skills those wild cats packed up and left for safer pastures. :grinning:

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I was actually part of a team which conducted genetic research on feral cat interrelatedness in a semi rural region of NSW in the 90's.

All samples (generally little pieces of trapped cat ears) came back as plain old cat. Faecal samples were the same.

There were certainly some big cats trapped but never saw or heard of anything which would indicate the existence of an exotic species.
I watched a doco the other day were someone claimed they had sent a scat sample they had found in the bush and also sourced leopard scat from a zoo and one came back domestic cat and the other a wild dog.. the leopard was the wild dog. They showed the letters they were sent with the results on camera. The samples were sent to a goverment lab not sure which and this was replicated twice as the people making the doco also sent a found sample and leopard sample from a zoo and received the same results.

Food for thought

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Still think there are no large Asiatic cat species that are not feral cats?

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen one.

I have seen one, maybe 40 years ago hunting rabbits with ferret at a place called Wee Jasper chased a rabbit that jumped out of a hole I was manning with the nets and came to the edge of cliff, on the other side was a definitely a panther like creature another guy saw it as well , I have never really spoken about it much but just knew they were out there. I think was last year I saw a documentary multiple sightings in that area, even quite recently.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A cat thats bigger than a Labrador. Nothing to see here
Bro it's a cat, that's it lol. I'm not saying there isn't something but that video there ain't it.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still think there are no large Asiatic cat species that are not feral cats?

Very large and muscly cat
Grass isn’t long and stomach not far of the grass

Still a very large speciman, I wouldn’t go in for a pat