Steve Irwin - Dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful coastaldog. I still feel a little bit shocked I guess, I actually heard it at school and everyone was just like "No way", "Not Steve Irwin". Devastating news.

Maza

Reaction score
thats so sad. R.I.P. condolences to family and friends..

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm overly shocked!! it's not like i didn't expect it, but man, i thought the guy was invincible!!

RIP legend. :(

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I keep trying to study for an exam, but i cant get him and his family out of my mind :(

I guess it cant hurt to say it again, my his soul rest in peace

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is shocking news

R.I.P

The way he died was only the has been recorded only twice before. Very Very rare

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Game Breaker said:
This is shocking news

R.I.P

The way he died was only the has been recorded only twice before. Very Very rare
Yea apparently they only attack in self defense, so... I dont want to emply anything about what had happened, but something triggered the Stingray :(

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How ironic that he was filming a documentary on ocean creatures that can kill people.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Stars, friends pay tribute to Steve www.news.com.au

THE elite of the Australian political, entertainment and sporting worlds yesterday expressed shock and disbelief as they paid tribute to lost larrikin Steve Irwin.

Fans from around the world also told of their grief, with more than 500 tributes flowing in from countries as far afield as India, Norway and Mexico.

Prime Minister John Howard described Irwin's passing as a "huge loss to Australia".

"I knew the family very well. I visited the Australia Zoo on a number of occasions and I really do feel Australia has lost a wonderful and colourful son," Mr Howard said.

Mr Howard has left open the option of offering the Irwin family a state funeral.

Opposition Leader Kim Beazley said Irwin's death was "terribly, terribly tragic news".

Oscar-winning actor Russell Crowe, who became friends with the Crocodile Hunter after they met four years ago, was extremely upset and "unable to think about anything else" after learning of Irwin's death.

"He was a great friend of mine. I loved him and I'll be there for his family," Crowe said from the US.

Crowe described Irwin's passing as "a tragedy with a far reaching impact".

"He was the Australian that we all aspire to be," he said.

"He held an absolute belief about caring for the riches of our country."

Crowe and Irwin hit it off after meeting in 2002 and quickly became firm friends, with Irwin having since visited the actor's farm at Nana Glen, near Coffs Harbour.

Crowe said Irwin remained "the ultimate wildlife warrior".

"He touched my heart, I believed in him and I'll miss him," he said.

Fellow Australian actor Hugh Jackman said he was still in shock, having only visited Irwin's Australia Zoo on Saturday.

"Only two days ago my family finally fulfilled a promise to Steve and made it out to his zoo," Jackman said.

Jackman said Irwin was a "hero" to him and his actress wife Deborra-Lee Furness and their six-year-old son Oscar.

"Today we mourn the loss of a great Australian. His enthusiasm, humour, passion and optimism was a beacon throughout the world," he said.

"He is a great example of how much one individual can do to make our planet a better place.

"Both Deb and I would like to send our deepest sympathies to his family and close friends at this difficult time."

"He was an inspiration. Totally devoid of pretension. He was the real deal. What you saw is what you got.

"His passion and love of life, family and nature was boundless. He was a colossus and will be sorely missed.

"My condolences and thoughts are with his family."

Another Collision Course co-star Magda Szubanski said she was "grief-stricken".

"I don't know if people realise what a truly, truly great guy Steve was. Steve had such tremendous life-force, I kind of thought he was invincible.

"I've never known anyone who was so alive and so full of love for life and his family. One of the most generous people you would ever hope to know. I am devastated for Terri and the family."

Getaway presenter Catriona Rowntree said Irwin had a huge effect on Australian tourism.

"He was such a dynamic force on so many different levels. What he did for travel, for the environment, for animal welfare is absolutely astounding.

"As a TV presenter he was extraordinary. I have never known anyone who can talk for 4½ minutes on ant mounds and make it interesting." :grinning:

"When I started travelling for Getaway 10 years ago all Americans wanted to know about was the Crocodile Hunter, and they thought all Aussie men were like that because all they knew was Crocodile Dundee. They were like, 'My God, Aussie men really are like that'?"

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Fateful decision led to tragedy www.news.com.au

STEVE Irwin made the fatal decision to interrupt his normal filming schedule yesterday morning when a large group of stingrays captured his attention.

"He was shooting a number of segments and taking the opportunity to gather whatever material he could," film crew member Peter West said last night.

"He noticed there were an abundance of stingrays so he decided to do a segment on those."

Irwin and his film crew had been in north Queensland for five days, sleeping on their boat moored at Port Douglas Marina and travelling to the outer reef each day to film segments for a documentary he was making for cable television station Animal Planet.

But yesterday, Irwin saw the stingrays and thought they would be a perfect segment for a new program to be hosted by daughter Bindi.

Shortly after 11am (AEST), Irwin was being filmed by a cameraman in 2m of water at Batt Reef, about 32 nautical miles offshore from Port Douglas, as he swam over the top of a large bull ray.

Suddenly, and for no apparent reason, the 2.5m stingray turned on Irwin and struck him with its tail, releasing a poisonous and jagged barb that pierced his heart.

Graphic footage of the incident, which police have seized, shows the animal turning and striking Irwin, who immediately collapses in the water.

"They were actually filming him at the time, the guy was swimming in the water, the ray stopped and turned and that was it," said Mr West, who viewed the footage yesterday afternoon.

"There was nothing to it. It was just a freak accident."

Irwin was pulled aboard the inflatable dinghy by his cameraman and skipper and taken to Deepstar, the boat that belonged to Mr West's local support crew.

"The whole process was very quick; they were probably back at our boat within a couple of minutes," he said. "We started the process of raising the alarm and they proceeded back to their boat Croc One."

Mr West said Irwin was "barely conscious" at the time and was not able to speak.

Irwin's film crew tried in vain to resuscitate him and called for help on their radio on their way to the Low Isles - a nearby island popular with day-trippers from Port Douglas. But Irwin was most likely already dead.

"He died what he loved doing best and he left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind," producer, director and life-long friend John Stainton said. "He would have said 'crocs rule'."

The crew of Quicksilver dive boat Wave Dancer had tried to revive him with a defibrillator, but paramedics, who arrived by helicopter, announced him dead shortly afterwards. Irwin was then transported to the morgue at Cairns Hospital.

His family was believed to be rushing to north Queensland last night.

Port Douglas dive boat skipper Mick Liggins was supposed to dine with Irwin tonight.

"We were out with him a couple of days ago looking for stonefish," he said.

"It is just such a tragedy; he was a great bloke."

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Loved in US but made enemies www.news.com.au

IF you take Steve Irwin at his word, there will be plenty of crocodile tears shed as the news of his death spreads around the world.

Asked by CNN's Larry King in 2004 to explain the price of the extraordinary fame he enjoyed in the US, Irwin said his opposition to the sustainable use of wildlife had many people wanting him dead.

"The trade in wildlife products is only second to the trade in drugs," Irwin said.

"But I'm getting these people. I'm attacking them. I'm saying, 'Hey, we see you.' I am taking the camouflage off, and we're looking at them. And so I'm creating a lot of enemies."

Irwin believed his conservationist message played well in the US because his natural affinity with animals was complimented by a natural affinity for television.

Irwin loved the TV medium, and TV - which is everything in the US - loved him back.

Irwin's first TV appearance in North America came in 1992 when his crocodile-hunting exploits while on honeymoon with his American wife Terri were shown on cable TV's Life channel in Canada.

It led to the first series of Crocodile Hunter being commissioned for US audiences.

The show went on to become the most popular program on cable station Animal Planet and at its peak was shown in more than 200 countries.

This not only gave Irwin a powerful platform for his passionately held conservationist views, but it also made him more money than he ever dreamed of.

About $40 million of it was pumped into the Australia Zoo at Beewah, north of Brisbane. Started by his parents in 1970, it is now one of the state's premier tourist attractions.

Irwin rode his early success by making himself available to whoever wanted to interview him.

His gee-whiz enthusiasm and willingness to ham it up as the caricature Australian - the "manchild in the short pants" as one US critic once put it - made him a natural for the late-night talk show beat.

By 2002, when he and longtime manager John Stainton debuted at fifth place on BRW's list of the top 50 highest-paid Australian entertainers, with earnings of $16.5 million for the year, Irwin had made 14 guest appearances on The Jay Leno Show alone.

On one occasion Leno asked Irwin to show how the sex of a crocodile could be ascertained. "I put my finger in here and if it smiles, it's a girl," Irwin said. "If it bites me, it's a boy." :D

In 2002 Irwin branched out with a new show, Crocodile Hunter Diaries, and it was an instant hit - but the same could not be said for the feature-length movie Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course, released that September.

Directed by Stainton, it was panned by critics everywhere.

In recent years, Irwin and Stainton had spoken of opening up a second Australia Zoo in Las Vegas, a venture that Stainton speculated could net as much as $US50 million a year and give the khaki-clad star the benefit of year-round summers for the rest of his life.

Stainton said it was Irwin's infectious enthusiasm that enabled him to bridge countless different cultures and languages.

Speaking with King in 2004, Irwin said he could "do stuff" with animals that no one else in the world could do. "I've got the ability to be attractive to wildlife and vice versa," he said.

"On top of that, I've got a gift of communicating to cameras, which is in essence looking to millions of people. Combine those two and there you see my mission is to educate people about conservation."

But when King asked why he liked crocodiles so much, Irwin gave an answer that today might be seen as prophetic.

"They are modern-day dinosaurs," he said. "They've been around for 200 million years and if you make a mistake around them they're going to kill and eat you."

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
This motha focka vandalised Wikipedia >:( fkn dirty ******

Irwin's Wikipedia page defaced

INTERNET encyclopedia Wikipedia was forced to remove an offensive message posted on its entry for Steve Irwin within minutes of the Crocodile Hunter's death yesterday.

Within minutes of the news of Irwin's death breaking yesterday afternoon, someone had written: "Steve Irwin's dead! LOLOLOLOLOL!" on the biography of the Australian icon.

LOL is an abbreviation for Laughing Out Loud.

The entry was quickly spotted and removed from the page.

Irwin, 44, died while filming off the coast of far north Queensland. He was stung by a stingray barb through the heart.

Emergency workers sent from Cairns pronounced him dead when they arrived on the scene less than an hour after he was struck.

Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia open to web users to create and edit their own entries on a range of topics.

After removing the message from the Irwin entry yesterday afternoon, Wikipedia closed it off to anonymous users.

"Due to recent vandalism, editing of this article by anonymous or newly registered users is temporarily disabled," an advisory at the top of the entry said.

A revised entry detailing Irwin's death was posted and the editing function was reopened hours later.

But soon after that happened, the entry was replaced entirely with a valedictory message praising Irwin as a "modern day hero" and "legend" posted by "Stevo".

That posting was also quickly spotted by Wikipedia and replaced.

sonnyfaifan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
rip steve irwin, was watching his show last night when i was told.

also anyone see this yet:

BumAcid

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess this thread can't be emailed to The Australian zoo now.......

Status
Not open for further replies.