News Spencer Leniu “As good as done”: Penrith enforcer set for surprise club switch

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Strained his quad on Tuesday... Was strapped up and took it easy today. Doubt he has a run this weekend and probably doesnt need to.

I fear for this kid, he goes 100kms at everything which is great but how long his body holds up is a different story.
Thanks for the reply. Hope nothing serious.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome. Good buy.
Seems Gus is really taking from Penrith as he pleases lol… his gentleman’s handshake to the club saying he wouldn’t poach really went down well, now he’s snatching at will hahahaha !!! Love it.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Awesome. Good buy.
Seems Gus is really taking from Penrith as he pleases lol… his gentleman’s handshake to the club saying he wouldn’t poach really went down well, now he’s snatching at will hahahaha !!! Love it.
Feel alot better when it’s actually confirmed

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jacob Preston will wear the 13.
Cameron Murray alike
Been on the wing more than the middle mate... Kid is very versatile, will play numerous positions.

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He was also a Bulldog from 83-85 as a player and 88-89 as coach..

1983:

View attachment 64698

1988:

View attachment 64697
Thanks Scoop. 1979 pre dates it. My response was to a claim you guys lent us Gus and he has now returned home.

Parra junior
Panthers 1st grade debut and youngest ever club captain
Newtown
Dogs
Souffs
Dogs Youngest premiership winning coach
Panthers
Roosters
Packer Family
Panthers
Warriors
Dogs

Plus a few consulting gigs mixed in. To be fair it's a stretch for anyone to "claim" him with that resume. But no one had heard of the fucker until he pulled on the brown and white.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Been on the wing more than the middle mate... Kid is very versatile, will play numerous positions.
Preston has been on the wing wtf?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
More so covering when the winger or centre push in... predominately edge.
Probably not a bad thing if we get an injury to an outside back his versatility will come in handy. Laterally he moves pretty well.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Thanks Scoop. 1979 pre dates it. My response was to a claim you guys lent us Gus and he has now returned home.

Parra junior
Newtown
Dogs
Souffs
Panthers
Roosters
Packer Family
Panthers
Warriors
Dogs

Plus a few consulting gigs mixed in. To be fair it's a stretch for anyone to "claim" him with that resume. But no one had heard of the fucker until he pulled on the brown and white.
But you guys don't rate Gus as you only got success once he moved on. Pick up that bottom lip chocolate soldier

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Parra junior
Newtown
Dogs
Souffs
Panthers
Roosters
Packer Family
Panthers
Warriors
Dogs

Yeah he's worked all over obviously. I'm just saying for some Panthers fans (not you) to claim Gus and Ciraldo as Panthers that were poached from the evil Bulldogs is a stretch as like you said he's coached, worked at and played for several clubs. Obviously he has a stronger history at Penrith and Canterbury as a player and a coach than at other clubs. He did a great job laying the foundations at your club in the early 90s and then again in the GM role and he's come back to Canterbury to hopefully do the same.

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
But you guys don't rate Gus as you only got success once he moved on. Pick up that bottom lip chocolate soldier
My bottom lip is just fine mate. Some of the mouth breathers dont rate Gus, most of us acknowledge we wouldn't be where we are without him. His first few years back running the joint were crucial. He put the right people in the right holes and made sure they had the tools to succeed. His pulling power with players didn't hurt either as you guys well know. Things got a bit shaky after the Corey Payne fiasco (one of yours I might add. lol) and he probably needed to move on when he did. The bloke is a workaholic and gets bored, so he tinkers with shit. He said from day one that his plan was to make himself redundant, and he did exactly that. It was just a shame we didn't get that premiership a bit earlier while he could have still soaked up some of the glory.

I also don't believe he is trying to "destroy" us. It's not in his dna. He is just doing what is best for his current paymaster. I also think he is confident that what he put together is pretty bulletproof, and as much as it sucks for us Panther fans losing players, you guys will run out of cap before we run out of players.

I will admit my bottom lip will need a bit of propping up if you guys get Spencer. Which by what I'm hearing is pretty likely.

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah he's worked all over obviously. I'm just saying for some Panthers fans (not you) to claim Gus and Ciraldo as Panthers that were poached from the evil Bulldogs is a stretch as like you said he's coached, worked at and played for several clubs. Obviously he has a stronger history at Penrith and Canterbury as a player and a coach than at other clubs. He did a great job laying the foundations at your club in the early 90s and then again in the GM role and he's come back to Canterbury to hopefully do the same.
Some fans have the attention spans of a goldfish, Ciraldo was at the Sharks & Knights before he darkened the door at Penrith. I also remember the hand wringing when we signed him. It was when Gus first arrived and we desperately needed any fucker with even a remote bit of professionalism. Enter Sika Manu, Ciraldo, Newton, Kite & Whare plus a few decent Warriors in Lewis Brown & Elijah Taylor.. None of them were guns, but they did what they were bought in to do. I'm surprised poor Ciraldo survived with all the inside ball hospital passes from Luke Walsh. Dark dark times..... Shudder............

Funny thing with Ciraldo, I met him in around 05 at a friends party. I remember thinking he was pretty dumb, even for a bloke who makes a living running into other dumb blokes. Hot Mrs though. Turns out I'm not the guy you need to scope out future coaching talent. Pretty much everything he touched at Penrith turned to gold. That's what amused me so much when you signed Barrett, the bloke who missed the finals with the NYC side that won the comp either side of his tenure with Ciraldo coaching them. I wish we had kept him, but his path was pretty blocked, tough gig unseating a coach with 3 gf's in a row for 2 wins. I would have liked Ivan to move into a director type role with Ciraldo taking the head coach spot, but it is what it is, can't blame the Man for backing himself.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some fans have the attention spans of a goldfish, Ciraldo was at the Sharks & Knights before he darkened the door at Penrith. I also remember the hand wringing when we signed him. It was when Gus first arrived and we desperately needed any fucker with even a remote bit of professionalism. Enter Sika Manu, Ciraldo, Newton, Kite & Whare plus a few decent Warriors in Lewis Brown & Elijah Taylor.. None of them were guns, but they did what they were bought in to do. I'm surprised poor Ciraldo survived with all the inside ball hospital passes from Luke Walsh. Dark dark times..... Shudder............

Funny thing with Ciraldo, I met him in around 05 at a friends party. I remember thinking he was pretty dumb, even for a bloke who makes a living running into other dumb blokes. Hot Mrs though. Turns out I'm not the guy you need to scope out future coaching talent. Pretty much everything he touched at Penrith turned to gold. That's what amused me so much when you signed Barrett, the bloke who missed the finals with the NYC side that won the comp either side of his tenure with Ciraldo coaching them. I wish we had kept him, but his path was pretty blocked, tough gig unseating a coach with 3 gf's in a row for 2 wins. I would have liked Ivan to move into a director type role with Ciraldo taking the head coach spot, but it is what it is, can't blame the Man for backing himself.
Yeah Ciraldo is totally different to Baz in so many ways. And he's done a good job when he's stepped in as head coach from time to time. His demeanour and calmness impress me. Like you said, sometimes the players you least expect to make good coaches mature and develop into one. Gus and Ivan Cleary's mentorship would have helped him a lot to get to where he is now.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d rather big Nelson
Wow
Land of the giants with Nelson kikau Preston and tpj
Pass on Nelson. Yes he's one of the better forwards in the game but he's a bit of a hot head and was targeted by the referees at the Storm, that would be amplified if he were to ever wear a Blue & White Jersey.

Can't give ref's any more reason to penalize us out games. They did it with Hetherington, who has now thankfully become a Knight.