News Spencer Leniu “As good as done”: Penrith enforcer set for surprise club switch

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm just assuming this actually is done, with an announcement to come in due course.
Just relax @Joel and co :grinning:

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just assuming this actually is done, with an announcement to come in due course.
Just relax @Joel and co :grinning:
"actually done, with an announcement in due course". Translates to "I've heard a rumour from a good source, so it has to be true".

Gus doesn't give anything away to anyone, plays a straight bat when asked anything about future signings.

Could happen but feel it's highly unlikely.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This announcement was from Zero Tackle via another source in Peter Lang on Twitter who said:

·
SPENCER LENIU UPDATE 2: Following my tweet I have just received strong mail that I am completely wrong and that the deal with the Dogs is as good as DONE! I was told if I don’t pass this info on I’ll look even stupider than I already do. We’ll know soon enough! #PantherPride
2:02 PM · Jan 31, 2023

I'm waiting for the club or Gus to confirm before declaring this a done deal.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a link after Leniu signed an extension with the Panthers until the end of '23 but it also says a lot about his passion and willingness to stay at the club.

Leniu signs new Panther's deal | Official website of the Penrith Panthers

If he is to be forced out due to salary cap constraints, I'd say it would be to another club who'll be able to afford him.
We'd have plenty of money to sign Leniu after withdrawing from Moses. We could even move Thompson on if needed which would free up a heap or re-sign him to a reduced contract which would also save hundreds of thousands

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'd have plenty of money to sign Leniu after withdrawing from Moses. We could even move Thompson on if needed which would free up a heap or re-sign him to a reduced contract which would also save hundreds of thousands
Irrelevant from Moses or anyone else. The management of finances for 2024 would still be in a healthy state.

I think we can afford more big name signings. It’s just a matter of who and at what cost to the depth of the squad.

Do we go top heavy? With a lot of minimum wage players. Or do we go more for a mid quality squad and sacrifice another star player coming in.

My concern with Leniu is I think the role he plays at the Panthers is his what suits him. He is not a big minute player and I worry paying someone that doesn’t play big minutes big money. Causes problems with the roster. Not to mention the trouble caused here on TK. Thompson only cops crap on here because he is on overs. Leniu could become the next victim to this.

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Even with the reported figures leinu could get it’s still 25% less than Thompson on now…

He’s also what 22? Props don’t usually hit peaks till many years
On.

Think he’s a gooden.

No doubt he needs more minutes and cardio but nothing tells me he can’t manage that if pushed and trained to be a starter. Might not be as savage for his time on field but he’s still a handful.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this. I’m one of the few on here that actually likes Thompson obviously he is on huge $$$$$ and hasn’t, at this stage, been value for money.

I do feel he’ll be far better in a stronger pack than what he has been in over the last few years and both he and Flanagan are playing for their futures with this being their last year of their contract.

Thompson proved himself as the best prop in Super League when playing for St Helens. Covid and family issues have impacted him playing his best. Thommo is 27, a rep player and an asset to our club that is on the rise.

$$$$$ are the biggest sticking point as I believe he’s on 850K a season.

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Interesting that Spencer is narrating. There might be a few twists and turns left in this tug o war yet.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Interesting that Spencer is narrating. There might be a few twists and turns left in this tug o war yet.
Who knows? Not overly fussed on his signature but it would be nice. Plenty of smoke on this subject but we’re yet to see the fire… what we do know is dogs have been very strategic on announcements, particularly if it involves Penrith players… wait and see.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im hoping we see the real Thompson in ‘23 & he gets an extension. Leniu is good but he’s essentially a bench player for the Panthers and he loves the place aa he’s been there since his junior days.

IMO I feel it would be a bad decision to replace Thompson with Leniu. If Thommo really liked the place he’d take a pay cut to stay.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im hoping we see the real Thompson in ‘23 & he gets an extension. Leniu is good but he’s essentially a bench player for the Panthers and he loves the place aa he’s been there since his junior days.

IMO I feel it would be a bad decision to replace Thompson with Leniu. If Thommo really liked the place he’d take a pay cut to stay.
I reckon we see how Thommo goes this year before even considering extending him. He has been underwhelming and highly doubt he stays for a true worth deal even though he has been fleecing us

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

• Greg Alexander : There is something wrong with your cow Gus. I reach under there and I'm pulling, tugging, tugging, pulling, nothing, not a drop.
    Gus Gould: The cow's name is Norman. You were pulling on his dick Brandy.
    Greg Alexander : I'm gonna go wash up. :grinning:

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon we see how Thommo goes this year before even considering extending him. He has been underwhelming and highly doubt he stays for a true worth deal even though he has been fleecing us
He’s had family issues, his mum nearly died, Covid didn’t help and we had a shit pack and coach. Now we don’t.

Yes he hasn’t been value for money thus far, but he was on that money because he was the leading front rower in Super League for St Helens and he’s an English representative player. Leniu is a bench player who hasn’t played a full 80m game in FG yet.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this. I’m one of the few on here that actually likes Thompson obviously he is on huge $$$$$ and hasn’t, at this stage, been value for money.

I do feel he’ll be far better in a stronger pack than what he has been in over the last few years and both he and Flanagan are playing for their futures with this being their last year of their contract.

Thompson proved himself as the best prop in Super League when playing for St Helens. Covid and family issues have impacted him playing his best. Thommo is 27, a rep player and an asset to our club that is on the rise.

$$$$$ are the biggest sticking point as I believe he’s on 850K a season.
Hypothetically, if we could pay 600k for either thommo or spencer, I'd take thommo every day of the week.