So the Games moved on from the Bigger Bodied Players has It ??

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Does his job mate he’s a keeper … they just need to start building up his fitness minutes and work on his D..
Gotta love Five Minute Doom, Frank the Tanked, The Colossus of Cardiomyopathy.

Nah, let’s get some real forwards with proper motors, thanks.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bro we where playing better football when he wasn’t in the side.
Not sure I blame TPJ. He is the only one who consistently gets over 100m per game. King is a passenger. Patolo makes no metres. Pele makes metres but can only play 15mins. You can’t compete with only one player in the team offering go forward. TPJ gets targeted by multiple defenders because opposition know he is our only prop but he still runs for good metres. TPJ is not the problem

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's not the size or attitude. It's more so the skill level.

Previously had Graheme, Tolman and Jackson all in the same team.

They were a small pack and played 80mins. They hardly missed a tackle in the middle.

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bro 1967 you should be approaching retirement age and preparing to enjoy the later stages of life. Why are you doing this to yourself? You’re exposing a failed life lived, have you not built up a nice little network of friends by now to enjoy a Sunday for what it is rather than expose people you don’t know as armchair frauds ? Go enjoy some fresh air you angry old ****, go get a a rub and tug or something

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Bro 1967 you should be approaching retirement age and preparing to enjoy the later stages of life. Why are you doing this to yourself? You’re exposing a failed life lived, have you not built up a nice little network of friends by now to enjoy a Sunday for what it is rather than expose people you don’t know as armchair frauds ? Go enjoy some fresh air you angry old ****, go get a a rub and tug or something
C'mon dude - don't spoil my fun. #WordCount pastes anyone that disagrees with him with the argument that, "I created this thread so its for my opinion only." Hard to find this kind of fun these days.

Plus he's been quite vocal about blocking me here there and everywhere - yet he still peeks. All he has to do is... not press the button. But he cannot do it. I am now of the belief he loves the attention. So, as a good all around nice guy, I'll keep giving it to him.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some get it, others miss the point .. the teams that are out powering and out muscling us aren’t just doing it through their forwards ..

They have balanced teams with size all over the park .. it takes one of their centres to stop one of ours .. it takes 4 of our players to stop one of their centres ..

Stop focusing on just forwards alone & have a look at the size and power these teams have all over the park ..

It’s not a game where the forwards just make you the metres anymore .. the whole team does & then the 7 and spine ice the cake ..

Not sure why we’re not seeing that

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
What are you talking about? The only one who embarrasses themselves is you for being so ultra sensitive and talking down to everyone all of the time.

Don't be so aggressive or condescending with every post and maybe people won't react the way they do.
Professional victim.

Pathetic.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the teams that are out powering and out muscling us aren’t just doing it through their forwards ..
But other sides are working as a team.

Your team has worked as a team & watching if from a different team supporters eyes, it can be scary.

But most games, your team are playing as individuals & letting others do the workload.

I think @1967 you need to take a few long deep breaths.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it’s an unpopular opinion on here. But Tanner is our next best prop. Should never have selected Edwards. The guy has no go forward and is suspect in defence. Fair enough tanner isn’t a world beater. But better than some others that have run out this year (he did have 1 shocker when he had the dropsies but it happens).

I would be having tanner And Hughes in the team before a lot of the others. But when they are selected it’s for either a 10-15 min appearance or sometimes barley run On. Bigger bodies with bigger motors that can hit the line and keep the legs moving. Tanner is a lesser version of Ryan Tandy (who was good for us before pissing his career and life down the drain). And Hughes is a big body with sone speed. Tpj was the only forward to crack 100m+ today. That is almost unheard of in the modern Game. Meters/min he was nsw best in game one. Yes he has a silly pass in him. And he gives away silly penalties. But last month he is the only player we have got that can stick the ball under his arm and bend the line.
I'd like to see Hughes play more minutes to build his fitness and game as he has the size to bend the line. Rotate games with him and Franklin Pele. Not sure we can carry both on the bench at their current level.
As for Tanner, wish we had Biff Tanner or Mad Dog Tanner. Lol

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I actually rate Sutton in defence. He bends his back and hits in the mid section. If he was 10kg heavier he’d be considered a hit man. But he and others are just too small to get us in a dominant position

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s true, we have been outmuscled badly by some teams. It’s not just about size though, it’s about heart. Morrin and Preston aren’t big, especially Moz, but they go hard.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some get it, others miss the point .. the teams that are out powering and out muscling us aren’t just doing it through their forwards ..

They have balanced teams with size all over the park .. it takes one of their centres to stop one of ours .. it takes 4 of our players to stop one of their centres ..

Stop focusing on just forwards alone & have a look at the size and power these teams have all over the park ..

It’s not a game where the forwards just make you the metres anymore .. the whole team does & then the 7 and spine ice the cake ..

That’s enough from you word count. You need to be banned for 2 weeks in the name of rest and self reflection. Mods, do your thang *clicks fingers*

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You threatened to inbox me two days ago when I disagreed with your love fest for averillo. I said he wasn't physical enough. Good to see that whatever drugs you were on have finally worn off and you can now make sense of things.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
60 posts in this thread, 5 from a few posters who don’t know word count too well, 20 from thekennel calling him an absolute spastic and the rest are word count ignoring the whole kennel calling him a dud and replying to the 5. Great thread again J.R.R Tolkien.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You threatened to inbox me two days ago when I disagreed with your love fest for averillo. I said he wasn't physical enough. Good to see that whatever drugs you were on have finally worn off and you can now make sense of things.
Don’t think the inbox would have enough storage to handle his dribble.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s true, we have been outmuscled badly by some teams. It’s not just about size though, it’s about heart. Morrin and Preston aren’t big, especially Moz, but they go hard.
What is this heresy?
Morrin is too small! Everyone on the Kennel knows this fallacy as fact. Size is all that matters ( that's what she said :tonguewink: )
We don't need a small Morrin to go hard, we need a few more Okunbors & Waddells to arm grab and bludge in the middle but look big and strong doing it. Is there anything more heartwarming than watching opposition forwards being ushered across the try line from close range? Yay for us!

Give me the small guy that wants to be there, and will put his back into it all game, any day of the week...but especially on game day.

Sure, we need a few big boppers (enforcers), but ultimately it is pack balance that matters. TPJ, Pele, Patalo can do the big body piece (keeping Ava would have been nice too). Another one or two would be very nice but not essential - at least not essential to not being flogged by 40. We should at least be able to compete.

We already have Preston there & Kikau when he comes back - both have punch, decent size, and can defend. And King, when he becomes fit again can do his job (probably needs a rest). The rest, we need "go-ers"/workers that play as a pack and can actually defend...together.

The makings of a decent pack already exist. With a couple of astute acquisitions/promotions, we can develop a top 8/4 pack, but it will take a coach to drive that forward.

That means:
1. Perham needs to be cut. Not just from 1st grade, but from the club. Offers nothing, will never offer anything. Our possession, field position, set momentum, attack, and defence are all hampered by his presence and it is affecting the whole team (badly - yeah, the fullback impacts the pack - who figured?). I am totally over the equivocation on this. We've seen enough - it's enough.

Not dealing with this is now just ego, stubbornness, and cowardice. The pack is and will always be on the back foot until this is addressed. Wilson and even Papalii are already in front of him. Hell, even Averillo (who was never given an off-season at fullback - genius!) is in front of him. And next year, very likely Crichton will be in front of him too. This isn't even a Perham thing now. It's a Gus & Ciraldo thing. Not dealing with this properly and proactively is doing huge damage to the team and club. Continuing to not deal with it tells us plenty about the prospects of this "new management" succeeding.

2. Okunbor, Waddells, RFM. Cya. These guys have been given opportunities well beyond their effort, form, & contribution. Stop it. Stop selecting them. RFM is contracted long-term, so we can look forward to strong leadership of reggies. The other two are off-contract. So, no doubt Waddells will be on a train and trial for the Eels and Okunbor will be playing A-Grade for Coffs Harbour.

3. Pick and stick with solid juniors that have an upside. Even if they're too small, too green, not flashy enough. Edwards, Morrin, Topine. Get them into the team and let them go for the rest of the year. Give them AT LEAST the opportunity we have wasted on the Okunbor/Waddell farce. If they don't measure up then that tells us something for contract renewal time - but don't let pig-headedness and bone-headedness let us "die wondering" about what they could have done. Worst case, we keep getting flogged; which is what will happen if we keep picking the current lot anyway.

4. Play as a pack. Play in sets. Far too often we are coming one-out from poor field position. No wonder we're being crunched. And get the backs involved (like we were, at one stage but stopped for some reason). If they're lining up on our pack, spin it wide and use our pace to threaten the edge. Best case you get around them, worst case you loosen up the middle to stop them compressing on our forwards. (works like a kick behind the line on the outside backs).

5. Kick for the ground. Kick for the corners. Our halves need to help our forwards by controlling the tempo of the game and field possession. We'll be amazed how much stronger our middle is if we are not constantly gassed.

Or...just keep doing what we've been doing.