Should we retain Dylan Napa?

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fair enough. I feel your vibe here.
But question, Has Napa been dropped once this year? I can’t recall if so.
Also, do you think the rules will stay the same? I personally think there will be a minor rollback.
No I feel he is getting picked on past reputation though. Similar to Hoppa, if they were on 200-300 a season I would say both would have been dropped for sure. There always seems to be a hesitation in dropping players on good money because the media make a big deal about it, like the Sharks this year. I think Napa is popular amongst the roster and our lack of experienced players at this time probably gets him picked each week.
Barrett's first year at the club also probably helps him as I feel if he come in and swung the axe and dropped those guys, we probably still get beat anyway and it creates a shit fight of excuses and probably affects the club culture. Look at the tigers at the moment. Madge has been pretty ruthless is dropping guys and it's backfired on him and now there's rumours he's lost the dressing shed and potentially his job.

Barrett didn't have high expectations this year so it was probably easier to concentrate on culture as opposed to results and then end up like madge

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
i thought when we signed him we’d get much better value. Turns out we signed a flop with a strange personality to go with it. He’s a cat and when you’ve got a cat in the team you get rid of the cat. You don’t offer the cat a hundred grand to continue being a cat.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Ok, ok ok I know what you are thinking after reading that title.

‘Here we go, another hair brained idea by that crazy leb Nasheed’,
But hear me out.

Napa has been widely criticised, and rightly so, for not living up to his 600+ large price tag.
No where near it.

However despite this, he is generally considered in our top 17 every week, top 3 in our props and does carry soem intimidation factor.

we also need soem prop depth. Min wage prop depth.

So my thinking is he doesn’t just go from our third best to outside our top 7 in quality overnight, and we are crying out for experience, but min wage, cap soft experience.
So would it be an astute guy if we threw him the minimum 120 for just a year?

To be honest Napa is kissing himself if that report saying he wants 300 is true, and that no ones taking him is no surprise.

However the second he eats humble pie, clubs are going to jump….
The way the sea eagles and Eels are jumping at Woods since he starting pumping himself out cheap.

The same thing will happen to Napa.

So do we just assist in helping him give a dose of reality pie and offering 120 for a year to prove himself year to year?
so what if he is only used after injury. I can think of worse.
despite his shortcomings he always busts his but for us so despite his lack of popularity in this forum…. Just maybe…
I can't see him taking minimum wage. Someone will throw him a bone at 200-250K even in Super League so if he wants that much to stay with us then NO. Minimum wage only for depth - only if we're desperate and can't get an up and coming prop from anywhere else. We'd be better off trying to find a cheap diamond though like we did with Ava. We get nothing really from Napa. At least another player would have potential to perform better than Napa.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Ok, ok ok I know what you are thinking after reading that title.

‘Here we go, another hair brained idea by that crazy leb Nasheed’,
But hear me out.

Napa has been widely criticised, and rightly so, for not living up to his 600+ large price tag.
No where near it.

However despite this, he is generally considered in our top 17 every week, top 3 in our props and does carry soem intimidation factor.

we also need soem prop depth. Min wage prop depth.

So my thinking is he doesn’t just go from our third best to outside our top 7 in quality overnight, and we are crying out for experience, but min wage, cap soft experience.
So would it be an astute guy if we threw him the minimum 120 for just a year?

To be honest Napa is kissing himself if that report saying he wants 300 is true, and that no ones taking him is no surprise.

However the second he eats humble pie, clubs are going to jump….
The way the sea eagles and Eels are jumping at Woods since he starting pumping himself out cheap.

The same thing will happen to Napa.

So do we just assist in helping him give a dose of reality pie and offering 120 for a year to prove himself year to year?
so what if he is only used after injury. I can think of worse.
despite his shortcomings he always busts his but for us so despite his lack of popularity in this forum…. Just maybe…
You're wrong, we're actually thinking here we go another hair brained idea from that crazy Indian Nasheed.

In all seriousness that's a no, but I'm guessing this post is purely for replies and reactions.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well If we don’t retain Napa, and fair enough,
Who else besides Woods is out there that fits the mould of cheap experienced prop depth?
Vaughan now that he's been sacked.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Not totally against it but he wouldn't accept minimum wage, 300k is probably about right. In that case we might be better off going for Vaughan at a discount.

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck off, this thread should be condemned.!!!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't see him taking minimum wage. Someone will throw him a bone at 200-250K even in Super League so if he wants that much to stay with us then NO. Minimum wage only for depth - only if we're desperate and can't get an up and coming prop from anywhere else. We'd be better off trying to find a cheap diamond though like we did with Ava. We get nothing really from Napa. At least another player would have potential to perform better than Napa.
Yup. It is really rare these days for a player to sign for a club on a decent amount and then be re-signed for minimum by the same club at their next contract. While it might make financial sense to try and get an aging or form lost player as a depth signing on the books, clubs are aware that when a player gets what is essentially a 80% wage cut, they tend to lose motivation.

Different story if the contract is with a new club. That is why we landed Dufty, the Dragons weren't going to be stupid enough to keep him on at reduced wage, but the narrative for Dufty in signing with us for a year on a lot less is that his previous club decided he isn't worth it, and now it is up to him to prove that he is.

The best thing for Napa is to move on and try and make something for himself elsewhere.

Jam

Scanlens Gum
Reaction score
Dumbest thread even by the low standards of this fraud. The argument presented would translate to also buying Corey Norman and any other underperforming player in the comp for minimum wage.
Napa at any price has no heart. He is one dimensional as a footballer and a liability off the field. He could do more reputational damage than what you save by signing him cheaply. Also it blocks the pathway for developing talent who can be secured at this level.
Take him to the Bunnies with you !

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Even by you standards nashweed, this is one of your worst which says a lot.

Better luck with the next baiting thread

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup. It is really rare these days for a player to sign for a club on a decent amount and then be re-signed for minimum by the same club at their next contract. While it might make financial sense to try and get an aging or form lost player as a depth signing on the books, clubs are aware that when a player gets what is essentially a 80% wage cut, they tend to lose motivation.

Different story if the contract is with a new club. That is why we landed Dufty, the Dragons weren't going to be stupid enough to keep him on at reduced wage, but the narrative for Dufty in signing with us for a year on a lot less is that his previous club decided he isn't worth it, and now it is up to him to prove that he is.

The best thing for Napa is to move on and try and make something for himself elsewhere.
Yes you're right. If Napa even did sign for minimum wage with us he'd give minimum effort and would be worse than he is now even - so not worth keeping at all. Only thing that "could" motivate him would be minimum wage for 1 year. Yes Dufty will be up for a big season next year to prove his worth otherwise he knows his NRL career is over. Same motivation could work for Napa.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Some interesting points you make. maybe....if we have enough room left in the cap after re-signing Lewis.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This could Quite possibly be the dumbest thread all year... and thats saying something cause there's been some dumb ones.

Last edited: