Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Crazy to think we didn’t even look at Adam Reynolds earlier in the year…I think shaun Johnson improves our team next year but it isn’t a long term solution. If we grab him it may help us get other players like smith…best option out there at the moment…
He’s 31 in September so definitely not a long term solution. For a couple of years to bring some experience and help with the development of Avo, Burton and some of the young players coming through, there is definitely a role for him….at the tight price.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd say there are only a handful that would be worse than him. My point is people criticise Averillo for his defence and not running it enough, but those are things that have been Johnston's biggest issues his whole career. And a lack of consistency.
Agree to disagree I really don’t think his defence is an issue. I also don’t remember Johnson ever being criticised for not running the ball enough its his strength. It’s his game management that’s been an issue and he has improved that at the Sharks.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was Kimmorley a bandaid solution or a tactical master stroke?
Kimmorley was a great signing but he was a natural leader and was a way tougher, more consistent player who won a premiership.

Johnson is more talented than Kimmorley ever was, but he's been way more inconsistent and doesn't provide anywhere near the level of leadership and experience that Noddy did.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree to disagree I really don’t think his defence is an issue. I also don’t remember Johnson ever being criticised for not running the ball enough its his strength. It’s his game management that’s been an issue and he has improved that at the Sharks.
Yeah game management was an issue but so was him playing in a dinner suit and not running it enough. At least it was at the Warriors and with NZ in Tests..

I won't complain if we sign him because he's so talented and we'll score more points and be more entertaining. But I'd be worried about losing Averillo if he didn't work out at fullback. Hopefully he does, because it's asking a lot of him and I think he's doing really well in the halves now.. I worry him changing positions so much will ruin his development.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah game management was an issue but so was him playing in a dinner suit and not running it enough. At least it was at the Warriors and with NZ in Tests..

I won't complain if we sign him because he's so talented and we'll score more points and be more entertaining. But I'd be worried about losing Averillo if he didn't work out at fullback. Hopefully he does, because it's asking a lot of him and I think he's doing really well in the halves now.. I worry him changing positions so much will ruin his development.
Averillo still has a long way to go with his development he’s played a handful of good games but I wouldn’t say he’s doing really well just yet. There’s no guarantee he’s going to turn into a consistent half. I wouldn’t be putting all the eggs in one basket with him.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing that a lot of people are forgetting that's very important is that our team is fairly ugly, SJ being the handsome **** he is should bring us up a level or two
Charisma too. What a dreamboat

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sharks robbed us of a Hynes/SJ pairing, would've been hot as :sweat:
Hynes kind of has a pin head and a snaggle tooth but. Burto is a solid 7 without the headgear, probably an 8 if he hangs out with Cotric for a season.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hynes kind has a pin head and a snaggle tooth but. Burto is a solid 7 without the headgear, probably an 8 if he hangs out with Cotric for a season.
Na Hynes is pretty sexy, like if I was a school.girl I'd probs have him as my wallpaper and shit. Burton is meh..

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hynes kind has a pin head and a snaggle tooth but. Burto is a solid 7 without the headgear, probably an 8 if he hangs out with Cotric for a season.
For me Barret and Johnson. Like I don't think there's been a sexier coach/player combo

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I have every confidence Avo becoming a great player in time but we need a steady hand to assist both him and Burton
I’m all in for SJ let’s say two year contract.
Thats right for sure bc there will be injuries so Avo at only 20 will be in the mix and benefit with training etc. SJ is a Kiwi half after all and it should be good for Avo's development as well. Avo hasnt had any help from the playing roster...only this coach so far so SJ should be of assistance to him as well as Burto ...all going well that is.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the plan was always to partner Burton with an experienced half. That’s why baz signed Blake green from the knights only to backflip and go for Flanagan. Seems like the club has come back to its original thinking and now looking at sj now that Flanagan seems to be a failed experiment. It’s a shame because I think flanagan’s signing kept the club from seriously looking at benji and maybe even Adam Reynolds too.
I think after seeing Burton struggle with those 2 games with no half to help him Baz and the club made their mind up to get someone to help him.

I really like what Averillo is doing in the halves but we need a good balance of youth and experience in the side to succeed.
Averillo has X factor and id like to see how he goes at fullback running through the middle off Burton,Johnson and the Fox.