Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He will be better than half,can’t wait to see him in blue & white
I really think so as well.

I do think we need to support him with a bit more experience around him. At this stage, without any signings, spine looks shaky even with Avo.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think so as well.

I do think we need to support him with a bit more experience around him. At this stage, without any signings, spine looks shaky even with Avo.
I have every confidence Avo becoming a great player in time but we need a steady hand to assist both him and Burton
I’m all in for SJ let’s say two year contract.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned that if SJ didn’t play the Sharks game we would’ve have lost. So I guess in that instance he’s already working for us.
Also everyone's ignoring what a liability Johnson has been defensively his whole career. Averillo was hammered for that and he's improved his defence a tonne this season.

For me, signing Johnson is like signing Dufty. Both have big games a few times a year, but have a few shockers or quiet games mixed in and both are poor defensively.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also everyone's ignoring what a liability Johnson has been defensively his whole career. Averillo was hammered for that and he's improved his defence a tonne this season.

For me, Johnson is like Dufty. Flashes and has big games a few timss a year but has a fee shockers and quiet games mixed in and is poor defensively.
Saying Johnson is a liability defensively is a huge stretch. He’s no worse or better than the majority of halves in the NRL.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Saying Johnson is a liability defensively is a huge stretch. He’s no worse or better than the majority of halves in the NRL.
I can think of countless games where teams have targeted Johnson's side close to the line and have had a field day.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the plan was always to partner Burton with an experienced half. That’s why baz signed Blake green from the knights only to backflip and go for Flanagan. Seems like the club has come back to its original thinking and now looking at sj now that Flanagan seems to be a failed experiment. It’s a shame because I think flanagan’s signing kept the club from seriously looking at benji and maybe even Adam Reynolds too.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He’s a half in the NRL they get spotted all the time. His defence is hardly diabolical and certainly no worse than most halves.
I'd say there are only a handful that would be worse than him. My point is people criticise Averillo for his defence and not running it enough, but those are things that have been Johnston's biggest issues his whole career. And a lack of consistency.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
One thing that a lot of people are forgetting that's very important is that our team is fairly ugly, SJ being the handsome **** he is should bring us up a level or two