Sharks superstar Ben Barba in cocaine crisis just days after 2016 NRL Premiership win

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Carney and Barba can go form a deadly combo at the Dragons

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
omg how do you know this?, my recommendation is not doing drugs over there because apparently they have a hardline stance
I was in Bangkok/Koh se mui for my honeymoon. The locals literally throw it at you like confetti.
The hardline stance kicks in when you're really brazen and stupid about flaunting it.
And that said, this might be the last we see of that traiterous fuckwit.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cronulla Sharks player Ben Barba has been released from his contract and banned for 12 NRL games after returning a positive drug test following the club's grand final victory.

Key points:
  • Barba has been banned for 12 NRL games after a second positive drug test
  • The sample was recorded after the Sharks' NRL grand final win
  • Cronulla have granted the player an immediate release from his contract

In a statement, the club said it had agreed to provide Barba an immediate release from his playing contract so he could address "some significant personal issues".

Barba said the decision was made in the interests of his career and his family.

"I am accountable for myself and my actions and if I don't address them now I will certainly ruin my career and more importantly my life and that of my family," he said.

"As footballers we often find it hard to speak up about having problems, but this decision has lifted so much pressure off myself that I cannot start to explain just how much better I feel by taking this action."

Sharks chief executive Lyall Gorman said it was a difficult decision to allow Barba to leave, but that it was right.

"Ben has made a remarkable contribution to our club and community since joining it," Mr Gorman said.

"It is however something we believe and accept is absolutely necessary in order to assist Ben to work through the challenges at hand.

"While Ben will be a major loss to our football club, the far greater priority is for him to focus on his long-term future away from football and we will continue to support Ben throughout that process in any way we can."

Barba was a member of the Cronulla team that won the 2016 NRL premiership.

It is not the first time the former Dally M winner has struggled with off-field issues.

In 2013, Barba was stood down by his then club, Canterbury Bulldogs, over behavioural issues.

Barba banned for 12 NRL games
In a statement, the NRL said Barba had been suspended for 12 matches under the code's illicit drug testing program.

NRL head of integrity Nick Weeks said it was Barba's second positive sample — the first was in 2015 — and was not related to performance-enhancing drugs.

Mr Weeks said the positive drug sample had been recorded after the grand final.

Given Barba has been released from his current contract, the suspension will apply if he returns to the NRL in the future.

Mr Weeks said the NRL was working with the Sharks.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-08/sharks-player-ben-barba-tests-positive-for-drugs/8004230

Seems like Ben Barba loves to explain away his stuff ups with the old chestnut 'Personal issues". He has "sought" release from several clubs due to these " personal issues" over the years. He has taken the time off to get his life in order and really just how well has that worked out?

Barba said the decision was made in the interests of his career and his family.

"I am accountable for myself and my actions and if I don't address them now I will certainly ruin my career and more importantly my life and that of my family," he said.

Is he really taking responsibility for his actions? Has he taken note of what he has done in the past that he maintained also would impact on his family and done something positive and lasting about it?

The only issue he has in my opinion, is in actually truly realising and believing that he and only he is accountable for his actions (something I am afraid is very lacking in all aspects of society these days.) Blame someone else or other circumstances instead of manning up and saying it was of his doing and his doing only. Nobody forced him or coerced him to do what he has done over the years. Are we meant to feel sorry for him for: bashing his missus, linking up with the criminal element in Cronulla, being caught TWICE for drug use and for some other rather unsavoury goings on at our club back in 2013?

NRL has virtually given him the green light to come back to the game by not actually sacking him themselves and getting his club to do it on the basis of, wait for it, a release rather than a sacking.. Two strikes against him for drug use ( probably more than you or I would ever get from our employer) a twelve match suspension prior to a return and probably no shortage of desperate clubs waiting to sign him at a bargain basement price when he gets his " life in order"
"The league will continue to extend support to Ben Barba but this should serve as a warning to all players of one of the potential consequences of using illicit drugs," Mr Weeks said.... Really???? What about legitimately punishing the player for his actions rather than looking at his skill as a player and his crowd pulling ability.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ok so this isn't the worst thing in the world, but it is Ben Barba who did it, so it is hilarious.

He did it after he was told he would be tested for recreational drugs. He only has himself to blame.

I don't buy the whole thing they are spinning about Ben asking to be released from his contract, and how he is off in rehab with "footy the furthest thing from his mind". To me this is more than likely a load of shit. This is Ben playing the mental illness card to get sympathy and journos running with it. Running off to rehab and quitting before being fired is just a publicity stunt.

For all we know Ben did coke once on some night out with his old Epic Bender Crew mates and got caught. If he is legitimately addicted to cocaine though, and has been doing it extensively then I retract my comments but I seriously doubt that is the case. Barba is just a bellend.

I guarantee he will be out of rehab and back home well before Christmas, and be back in the NRL whenever his suspension is over, at one club or another.
Choices were made by him that turned out to be poor and yes, he can only blame himself ( but I bet he doesn't). Being contrite and apologetic after the fact just smacks of being sorry you were caught, especially when you have uttered the same words on previous occasions.

I agree with your comment (that I have highlighted ), we have seen it so many times before and from many different players; sorry NOW but no thought of it later on when the footy career is back on track

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Barba, he always manages to find the white line

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And Off to Thailand for rehab he goes..

I've always thought that Thailand was a good place to go if you wanted to get away from a drug and party culture...

Status
Not open for further replies.