Sharks superstar Ben Barba in cocaine crisis just days after 2016 NRL Premiership win

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
THE Cronulla Sharks grand final celebrations have been shattered with revelations superstar fullback Ben Barba has tested positive to cocaine and faces a 12-week suspension from the beginning of next season.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Barba was tested four days after the grand final victory over Melbourne Storm as the players celebrated the club’s first ever premiership after 50 years in the competition.

Barba and the club were notified by the NRL of the positive result two weeks ago. It is the second time he has tested positive to recreational drugs.

It’s the second time the talented fullback has tested positive for illict substances. Picture: Mark Cranitch.

Ben Barba celebrates after scoring a try during the Sharks’ grand final win over Storm this year. Picture: AAP

The Sharks are supporting the superstar fullback, who is about to leave the country to get treatment at a Thailand rehabilitation centre.

Under the NRL drugs policy, a second strike means an automatic 12-match suspension althouygh there were suggestions last night Barba would be lodging an appeal.

Barba spent yesterday in Cronulla with his partner Ainslie and young family. They were spotted walking along the Cronulla esplanade before he flies out in the next 48 hours.

He will be accompanied by the Sharks’ welfare officer Shane Smith.

The former Bulldogs and Broncos fullback previously spent time in rehab in 2013 to deal with anger issues and a gambling addiction.

Barba celebrates with the crowd after the Sharks’ victory over the Storm. Picture: Getty Images

It was thought he had turned his life around at the Sharks this season where he returned to the form that saw him become Dally M champion in 2012.

A spokesman for the NRL declined to comment last night when asked if the integrity unit was handling Barba’s case.

In September The Daily Telegraph revealed all NRL clubs and players had been warned of a Mad Monday blitz on party drugs as hundreds of footy stars began their end-of-season celebrations.

“Players should be particularly aware that they are subject to testing in the period immediately following their team’s elimination from the competition, including after end-of-season celebrations and the like,” said integrity unit boss Nick Weeks says in an email to all the clubs.

He added: “This is a risk period for players and clubs so please take this opportunity to remind players about the league’s expectations (and the rules) in relation to illicit drugs.”

Cronulla chief executive Lyall Gorman was unavailable for comment late last night.

Source

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I always suspected he was taking performance enhancing drugs even when he was with us .
His timely exile in 2013 just happened to co incide with the asada investigation .

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No suprises here... he used to brag he gets while line fever

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I always suspected he was taking performance enhancing drugs even when he was with us .
His timely exile in 2013 just happened to co incide with the asada investigation .
Ennis is being investigated too

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ennis is being investigated too
Oh yeah let em , they'll be bitterly disappointed .
Ennis is a man of integrity , a genuine working class man , an inspiration to his peers and people in general.
He exudes honesty .

He told Des he only wanted 2 years , to retire a bulldog but des didn't trust him or didn't give a shit and true to form Ennis retired himself after 2 years .. A man of his word.

Why would they want to bring him down ? They're just bastards

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm not addicted to Cocaine.....

I just love the way it smells.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Oh yeah let em , they'll be bitterly disappointed .
Ennis is a man of integrity , a genuine working class man , an inspiration to his peers and people in general.
He exudes honesty .

Why would they want to bring him down ? They're just bastards
Allegedly Ennis sold him the rack.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not surprised really. They're kidding if they think he did it alone, i could name at least 3 others from that team that have that party boy / above the law mentality

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not surprised really. They're kidding if they think he did it alone, i could name at least 3 others from that team that have that party boy / above the law mentality
Yeh me too but not Ennis , he'd be the last one , he has no speed anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.