Sharks superstar Ben Barba in cocaine crisis just days after 2016 NRL Premiership win

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let sharks take him back then swoop on valentine holmes and give him our fb spot

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The cynic in me says the Sharks have their own angle in this.
They make sure Barba gets tested, knowing its his second strike and is 100% going to come back positive. Release him from his $650k contract, send him away to Thailand, then get him back for next year and beyond at half the price..

Sounds like a great outcome
And you my friend have hit the nail right on the head. Some may say a conspiracy theory...I say well picked. Go to Thailand or rehab come back and meanwhile he works on a construction site for $1000 a week keeping up some level of fitness until he can resume Round 13 2017.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seems that all has not gone to plan for a return to the Sharks. No training with the club and all because they thought they were being smart. Looks like he will need to keep that labouring job for a while longer.....

Admittedly the author of the article is 'the mole' but similar has been reported in other publications.

Barba return hits major snag
By The Mole
January 17, 2017

THE NRL has banned Ben Barba from training with Cronulla in a major blow to the controversial superstar’s hopes of returning to the premiers this season.

Barba is banned for the first 12 rounds of 2017 after testing positive to cocaine during the club’s post-grand final celebrations.

Barba was released by the Sharks but was hoping to keep playing and training with the club and then sign a new deal for the second half of the season.

But because the club cut him, he is banned from training with the Sharks.

Barba has to train on his own for the next few months, making it that much harder for him to maintain fitness and motivation.

“If the Sharks had suspended him or taken the 12 match ban he could have continued to train with the club,” an NRL spokesman says.

“However they terminated him so he cannot train with the Club.”

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Seems that all has not gone to plan for a return to the Sharks. No training with the club and all because they thought they were being smart. Looks like he will need to keep that labouring job for a while longer.....

Admittedly the author of the article is 'the mole' but similar has been reported in other publications.

Barba return hits major snag
By The Mole
January 17, 2017

THE NRL has banned Ben Barba from training with Cronulla in a major blow to the controversial superstar’s hopes of returning to the premiers this season.

Barba is banned for the first 12 rounds of 2017 after testing positive to cocaine during the club’s post-grand final celebrations.

Barba was released by the Sharks but was hoping to keep playing and training with the club and then sign a new deal for the second half of the season.

But because the club cut him, he is banned from training with the Sharks.

Barba has to train on his own for the next few months, making it that much harder for him to maintain fitness and motivation.

“If the Sharks had suspended him or taken the 12 match ban he could have continued to train with the club,” an NRL spokesman says.

“However they terminated him so he cannot train with the Club.”
Is barba banned from the first 12 rounds, or suspended from 12 games... There is a difference Moley... Fuckn shit excuse of a creative writer you are...
I don't understand how you can serve a 12 match ban if you aren't signed to club... If he signs half way through comp he still has the ban?...
Any way good on the NRL for taking this stance...

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is barba banned from the first 12 rounds, or suspended from 12 games... There is a difference Moley... Fuckn shit excuse of a creative writer you are...
I don't understand how you can serve a 12 match ban if you aren't signed to club... If he signs half way through comp he still has the ban...
Any way good on the NRL for taking this stance...

Twelve match ban and it is premiership matches, i.e. first twelve rounds just like the Mole says. The ban was handed down by the NRL, independent of the Sharks and that is why whatever happens and whatever club looks at signing him they will have to wait until those twelve premiership matches are up. Then his contract would be for the remainder of the season and whatever else he agrees to. It smacked of an effort by the Sharks to get him for season 2017 at a cheap price as the Broncos handout had ended but has somewhat backfired. It is because they cut him adrift that he cannot even train with them.

Found this opinion piece which pretty much says it all....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/fo...a/news-story/2b29da9bc426e9f6fd874244c6e1b878
BEN Barba had us all fooled.

It’s been four years since he first made this hack look like a mug punter and he’s since done the same thing to teammates, mentors, fans and even himself.

Barba was on Tuesday released from his playing contract by premiers Cronulla and hit with a 12-match ban by the NRL after recording a second positive test for cocaine.

The 27-year-old Dally M player of the year in 2012 knows how to say the right thing, but after cutting ties with three clubs in four years words alone aren’t enough anymore.

In 2012, Barba first exploded as the best player in the NRL during the Bulldogs’ famous first season under Des Hasler. The Bulldogs lost the grand final, but Barba won the title of the face of rugby league.

On August 17, 2012, this writer published a story that declared Barba the man who was going to break the NRL’s disturbing trend of superstar players marring the game in scandal and damaging the code’s reputation.
The signs were there.

But after listening to the Barba family it seemed impossible that Barba would struggle to deal with the attention of being an NRL superstar.

Ken Barba told me about how Ben, when he first signed with the Bulldogs as a teenager, moved out of the housing provided for him by the club to move into a cramped one-bedroom apartment with his partner Ainslie Currie. There was a TV sitting on a cardboard box and a mattress lying on the floor.

Speaking to the Barba family, it became clear his greatest motivation was to provide for his young family of six, including children Bobbi, Bodhi, Bronte and Blaise.

At least that’s what Ben had them all believing.

“He’s still the same kid,” his older brother Aaron said in 2012 after seeing his brother briefly become the game’s biggest star.

“Benny is the kind of bloke who doesn’t let any of that kind of stuff go to his head.

“When he comes home (to Mackay in North Queensland) he’s just like the rest of us. We can all sit around at home like nothing’s changed. He can enjoy having a few beers with us and just chill out.’’

Ken Barba, again at the time, said Ainslie was responsible for Ben learning to chill out. The couple have known each other since Ben was 15-years-old.

Boy, I got it wrong.

In my defence, I wasn’t the only one.

After interviewing Ben Barba’s father Ken Barba and his older brother Aaron, I was convinced Ben Barba was the real deal. The superstar rugby league deserved — equally humble and talented.

Only Hasler seemed to realise Ben Barba and the spotlight was a dangerous combination.

The Dogs coach put Barba on a media ban towards the end of 2012 and even told senior players not to speak to the press about his star fullback’s red hot form.

He’s certainly been a lot more chilled since his daughters came along,’’ Ken Barba said.

“I’ve seen the change in him. My wife’s seen the change in him. Everything he’s been doing, it’s all for his daughters.

“I put a lot of it down to his partner. They’ve been together right from the beginning. She was his rock and she still is.”

Within 12 months Barba’s behavioural issues suggested Ken and this hack both got Ben Barba horribly wrong. The season after winning the Dally M, Barba was briefly stood down by the Bulldogs to deal with personal issues.

The same year, The Daily Telegraph reported Ainslie Currie suffered injuries that were alleged to have been inflicted by Ben Barba. He was never charged.

Barba’s greatest motivation may well be his family, but his actions almost exclusively suggest his real inspiration is himself and his own satisfaction.

He’s hardly alone on this front, but not everybody’s pursuit of happiness drives them to illegal substance abuse or embellishing such a weakness for self destructive behaviour off the field.

Just a few months after Ken Barba’s glowing words about his son’s commitment to his partner and family, Ben Barba and Ainslie Currie were separated.

The NRL star was reportedly dealing with a gambling problem and he famously joined a group of friends based in Cronulla known as the Epic Bender Crew. Just as it sounds, the group binged their way through most weekends.

For some it was a cry for help from a young man trying to escape the spotlight and the pressures he was under.

But four years later he is back at the same dark place he was four years ago.

He told Fairfax Media in September he was “ashamed” of how he put himself ahead of his family and everything else.

“I let the spotlight get to me and I was ashamed of what I did to my family,” he said.

“I lost track of who I was and what I was. I did let it go. Especially with myself and Ainslie at the time. I’m so happy that I have been able to patch things up with her.

“We’re in such a good head space now and have added another two little girls to the crew. We’re flying at the moment and every day I’m so thankful. I’ve learnt from my mistakes and my family is happy. That’s allowed me to enjoy my footy again.”

And now he’s back to square one.

He likes to escape and he’s prepared to go to dark places to achieve that. It’s always tempting to take the easy way out.

Three clubs and four years later, that hasn’t changed.

Despite his statement declaring his intent to get himself right, it would take a giant leap of faith to suggest this time will be any different.

Sharks CEO Lyall Gorman said on Tuesday it was sad to see the impact Barba’s behavioural issues have had on his family.

“If you saw his wife and four kids and saw the emotion in that family, you’d understand the sadness that we all have,” he said.

“To say that I’m personally distressed about this would be an understatement.

“He’s made a poor choice on a poor day. Whether he’s got carried away with the celebration, I don’t know the exact circumstances of when this occurred. But obviously a poor choice.”

Gorman was surprised to hear of Barba’s positive test. Even he was fooled.

It might be the last time Ben Barba had us all fooled.

BEN BARBA’S ROLLERCOASTER OF AN NRL CAREER

Ben Barba’s future is unclear.Source:Getty Images

July 2008 — Makes his NRL debut for Canterbury, in a 30-0 loss to St George Illawarra.

March 2009 — Gets into a drunken fight with Bulldogs teammates Jamal Idris and Lee Te Maari in a Wentworthville hotel. Is dropped to reserve grade for the majority of the season.

2011 — Becomes Canterbury’s full-time fullback and signs a contract with the club which should keep him there until the end of 2015.

2012 — Scores 22 tries to claim the Dally M Medal and take the Bulldogs to the grand final. They lose to Melbourne but Barba becomes one of the most marketable players in the game.

February 2013 — Stood down by the Bulldogs, citing behavioural reasons. Enters rehabilitation for gambling and alcohol issues.

March 2013 — Returns to the field after missing just the opening three weeks of the season for personal reasons.

August 2013 — Released from the final two years of his contract with Canterbury to sign with Brisbane for the 2014 season on a two-year deal. The Broncos pay an undisclosed amount to the Bulldogs for the transfer.

September 2013 — News Corp Australia release images of Barba’s ex-partner which they claim show injuries which were inflicted by the fullback. The woman denies the claims. The NRL also opens an investigation into the Bulldogs handling of the matter, where former chief executive and the NRL’s then head of football, Todd Greenberg, is cleared of any wrongdoing. Barba is never charged over the matter.

2014 — Debuts for the Broncos, but takes seven matches to score a try and is eventually shifted to five-eighth in an underwhelming season where he scores just eight tries in 25 games.

November 2014 — Is told to look elsewhere by incoming Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett. Signs with Cronulla on a three-year deal that will keep him at the club until the end of 2017.

2015 — Struggles to find his place in the Cronulla team. Comes off the bench in 13 of his 19 games, scoring just three tries.

March 2016 — Wins a battle to claim the Sharks No.1 jersey ahead of Jack Bird and Valentine Holmes.

October 2016 — Claims his first premiership with Cronulla after returning to near career-best form. Scores 16 tries in 27 games for the Sharks, including the opening four-pointer in their grand final win over Melbourne. November 2016 - Released by Cronulla after reports emerge he has tested positive to cocaine four days after the grand final, and faces a 12-match ban. Heads to Thailand for rehabilitation.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Twelve match ban and it is premiership matches, i.e. first twelve rounds just like the Mole says. The ban was handed down by the NRL, independent of the Sharks and that is why whatever happens and whatever club looks at signing him they will have to wait until those twelve premiership matches are up. Then his contract would be for the remainder of the season and whatever else he agrees to. It smacked of an effort by the Sharks to get him for season 2017 at a cheap price as the Broncos handout had ended but has somewhat backfired. It is because they cut him adrift that he cannot even train with them.

Found this opinion piece which pretty much says it all....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/fo...a/news-story/2b29da9bc426e9f6fd874244c6e1b878
BEN Barba had us all fooled.

It’s been four years since he first made this hack look like a mug punter and he’s since done the same thing to teammates, mentors, fans and even himself.

Barba was on Tuesday released from his playing contract by premiers Cronulla and hit with a 12-match ban by the NRL after recording a second positive test for cocaine.

The 27-year-old Dally M player of the year in 2012 knows how to say the right thing, but after cutting ties with three clubs in four years words alone aren’t enough anymore.

In 2012, Barba first exploded as the best player in the NRL during the Bulldogs’ famous first season under Des Hasler. The Bulldogs lost the grand final, but Barba won the title of the face of rugby league.

On August 17, 2012, this writer published a story that declared Barba the man who was going to break the NRL’s disturbing trend of superstar players marring the game in scandal and damaging the code’s reputation.
The signs were there.

But after listening to the Barba family it seemed impossible that Barba would struggle to deal with the attention of being an NRL superstar.

Ken Barba told me about how Ben, when he first signed with the Bulldogs as a teenager, moved out of the housing provided for him by the club to move into a cramped one-bedroom apartment with his partner Ainslie Currie. There was a TV sitting on a cardboard box and a mattress lying on the floor.

Speaking to the Barba family, it became clear his greatest motivation was to provide for his young family of six, including children Bobbi, Bodhi, Bronte and Blaise.

At least that’s what Ben had them all believing.

“He’s still the same kid,” his older brother Aaron said in 2012 after seeing his brother briefly become the game’s biggest star.

“Benny is the kind of bloke who doesn’t let any of that kind of stuff go to his head.

“When he comes home (to Mackay in North Queensland) he’s just like the rest of us. We can all sit around at home like nothing’s changed. He can enjoy having a few beers with us and just chill out.’’

Ken Barba, again at the time, said Ainslie was responsible for Ben learning to chill out. The couple have known each other since Ben was 15-years-old.

Boy, I got it wrong.

In my defence, I wasn’t the only one.

After interviewing Ben Barba’s father Ken Barba and his older brother Aaron, I was convinced Ben Barba was the real deal. The superstar rugby league deserved — equally humble and talented.

Only Hasler seemed to realise Ben Barba and the spotlight was a dangerous combination.

The Dogs coach put Barba on a media ban towards the end of 2012 and even told senior players not to speak to the press about his star fullback’s red hot form.

He’s certainly been a lot more chilled since his daughters came along,’’ Ken Barba said.

“I’ve seen the change in him. My wife’s seen the change in him. Everything he’s been doing, it’s all for his daughters.

“I put a lot of it down to his partner. They’ve been together right from the beginning. She was his rock and she still is.”

Within 12 months Barba’s behavioural issues suggested Ken and this hack both got Ben Barba horribly wrong. The season after winning the Dally M, Barba was briefly stood down by the Bulldogs to deal with personal issues.

The same year, The Daily Telegraph reported Ainslie Currie suffered injuries that were alleged to have been inflicted by Ben Barba. He was never charged.

Barba’s greatest motivation may well be his family, but his actions almost exclusively suggest his real inspiration is himself and his own satisfaction.

He’s hardly alone on this front, but not everybody’s pursuit of happiness drives them to illegal substance abuse or embellishing such a weakness for self destructive behaviour off the field.

Just a few months after Ken Barba’s glowing words about his son’s commitment to his partner and family, Ben Barba and Ainslie Currie were separated.

The NRL star was reportedly dealing with a gambling problem and he famously joined a group of friends based in Cronulla known as the Epic Bender Crew. Just as it sounds, the group binged their way through most weekends.

For some it was a cry for help from a young man trying to escape the spotlight and the pressures he was under.

But four years later he is back at the same dark place he was four years ago.

He told Fairfax Media in September he was “ashamed” of how he put himself ahead of his family and everything else.

“I let the spotlight get to me and I was ashamed of what I did to my family,” he said.

“I lost track of who I was and what I was. I did let it go. Especially with myself and Ainslie at the time. I’m so happy that I have been able to patch things up with her.

“We’re in such a good head space now and have added another two little girls to the crew. We’re flying at the moment and every day I’m so thankful. I’ve learnt from my mistakes and my family is happy. That’s allowed me to enjoy my footy again.”

And now he’s back to square one.

He likes to escape and he’s prepared to go to dark places to achieve that. It’s always tempting to take the easy way out.

Three clubs and four years later, that hasn’t changed.

Despite his statement declaring his intent to get himself right, it would take a giant leap of faith to suggest this time will be any different.

Sharks CEO Lyall Gorman said on Tuesday it was sad to see the impact Barba’s behavioural issues have had on his family.

“If you saw his wife and four kids and saw the emotion in that family, you’d understand the sadness that we all have,” he said.

“To say that I’m personally distressed about this would be an understatement.

“He’s made a poor choice on a poor day. Whether he’s got carried away with the celebration, I don’t know the exact circumstances of when this occurred. But obviously a poor choice.”

Gorman was surprised to hear of Barba’s positive test. Even he was fooled.

It might be the last time Ben Barba had us all fooled.

BEN BARBA’S ROLLERCOASTER OF AN NRL CAREER

Ben Barba’s future is unclear.Source:Getty Images

July 2008 — Makes his NRL debut for Canterbury, in a 30-0 loss to St George Illawarra.

March 2009 — Gets into a drunken fight with Bulldogs teammates Jamal Idris and Lee Te Maari in a Wentworthville hotel. Is dropped to reserve grade for the majority of the season.

2011 — Becomes Canterbury’s full-time fullback and signs a contract with the club which should keep him there until the end of 2015.

2012 — Scores 22 tries to claim the Dally M Medal and take the Bulldogs to the grand final. They lose to Melbourne but Barba becomes one of the most marketable players in the game.

February 2013 — Stood down by the Bulldogs, citing behavioural reasons. Enters rehabilitation for gambling and alcohol issues.

March 2013 — Returns to the field after missing just the opening three weeks of the season for personal reasons.

August 2013 — Released from the final two years of his contract with Canterbury to sign with Brisbane for the 2014 season on a two-year deal. The Broncos pay an undisclosed amount to the Bulldogs for the transfer.

September 2013 — News Corp Australia release images of Barba’s ex-partner which they claim show injuries which were inflicted by the fullback. The woman denies the claims. The NRL also opens an investigation into the Bulldogs handling of the matter, where former chief executive and the NRL’s then head of football, Todd Greenberg, is cleared of any wrongdoing. Barba is never charged over the matter.

2014 — Debuts for the Broncos, but takes seven matches to score a try and is eventually shifted to five-eighth in an underwhelming season where he scores just eight tries in 25 games.

November 2014 — Is told to look elsewhere by incoming Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett. Signs with Cronulla on a three-year deal that will keep him at the club until the end of 2017.

2015 — Struggles to find his place in the Cronulla team. Comes off the bench in 13 of his 19 games, scoring just three tries.

March 2016 — Wins a battle to claim the Sharks No.1 jersey ahead of Jack Bird and Valentine Holmes.

October 2016 — Claims his first premiership with Cronulla after returning to near career-best form. Scores 16 tries in 27 games for the Sharks, including the opening four-pointer in their grand final win over Melbourne. November 2016 - Released by Cronulla after reports emerge he has tested positive to cocaine four days after the grand final, and faces a 12-match ban. Heads to Thailand for rehabilitation.
Its an absolute fucking disgrace if that's the case in my opinion... Great explanation btw.... I looked at like a suspension as opposed to a banning...

Last edited:

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
The worst thing about the Barba thing is when I told my Sharks supporter mate he is a grub (a character feature my mate went to pains to point out to me after his first downfall at the Dogs) he was very quite and even had the balls to try and justify having a little fun after a grand final win as no big deal, and that he can't wait for him to be back bigger and better later next season.

Why is it shit like this only sticks to the Dogs?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The worst thing about the Barba thing is when I told my Sharks supporter mate he is a grub (a character feature my mate went to pains to point out to me after his first downfall at the Dogs) he was very quite and even had the balls to try and justify having a little fun after a grand final win as no big deal, and that he can't wait for him to be back bigger and better later next season.

Why is it shit like this only sticks to the Dogs?

Yep. Looks like your mate will get his wish and once again the NRL has shown they have no idea when the wool is being pulled over their eyes..

http://www.skynewssport.com.au/rugb...LLA/10083_barba-re-signs-with-cronulla_180117

The Sharks are expected to make the announcement on Wednesday afternoon, however it will still require approval from NRL officials before the deal is registered.

For that to happen, the NRL will have to be convinced that Barba has been fully rehabilitated since copping a 12-game ban for his second positive test to illicit drugs in the space of a year, which ultimately led to him being released by Cronulla in November.

Barba headed to Thailand for a four-week stint in a rehabilitation clinic following the ban, but his manager claimed at the time the stay was for an anxiety disorder, and not drug related.

Regardless of the outcome of the contract registration, it's understood he may still be forced to wait until just before his anticipated June return date before he can train with the Cronulla team again.

The 27-year-old would also be on his final drugs warning, with a third breach likely to lead to contract termination as per the NRL's illicit drug police.

AAP

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems drugs are ok in the nrl but pretending to piss in your mouth is not

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Wish I could come into work open the bottom draw pull out a bag of coke make a line on my desk roll up a post it note and have a bump. Boss walks over says:

"what the hell do you think you are doing?"
Me: "a line, want one?"
Boss: "No, and you shouldn't be doing it either. Now if I catch you doing it tomorrow, that will be okay, but if I catch you the day after that we'll.... that will be okay as well, BUT if I catch you the day after that you are so fired buddy.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
First paragraph of Barbas future biography:
"I had a habit of finding the line. Even if I wasn't doing so in games, the first thnig I did after a game at home was find the line and take the edge off"

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
With barba coming back we should throw the fucking kitchen sink at holmes and give him the fb position he wants ,it's a fucking no brainer

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol fuck me dead

For that to happen, the NRL will have to be convinced that Barba has been fully rehabilitated

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
with substance abuse there is no fucking full rehabilitation. you can can be 10 15 25 years sober your only 1 fucking drink or line away from being back to sqaure one.there is no fucking cure.
and the biggest problem this fucking rat has never had to accept any responsibility for his actions at all. biggest mistake was green turd trying to cover the whole bullshit thing up .i could smell it back then and can smell it now while the **** is getting treated like he is the victim he will never learn

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
OH FUCK OFF SHANE FLAGGONAGAIN!

Your team dodged the peptides bullet, and got a maiden grand final win .. what more do you want you cheating fucksticks??

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...sharks-during-suspension-20170118-gtu8wp.html

Cronulla has urged the NRL allow banned fullback Ben Barba to train with the club, saying it's in the best interests for his rehabilitation.

The NRL is yet to register Barba's new one-year deal struck on Wednesday, which came two months after his release by the premiers to deal with personal issues.

Coach Shane Flanagan said the structure of the Sharks' training regime would help Barba.

"Ben, he's been through - and he's still going through - a rehabilitation program. He's got a lot of work to do,"
"But part of that program is getting back and doing some training with us, if possible.
"He's not going to play for at least half the season. We're not too worried about that.
"But we'd like to think integration back into training and getting a bit of schedule will help Benny, so that's the plan."

UNQUOTE

I bet the shitcunts fold and allow this ..... fuck the NRL... seriously.. pull your fingers out and ban the drug cheat for life (Mullens too).

NRL are being told how to run their own game by coaches now otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.