News Shane Flanagan puts his hand up to lead the basket case Bulldogs

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
- and says he has no problem with DROPPING his son Kyle out of first grade if he doesn't measure up
By George Clarke For Australian Associated Press and Shayne Bugden For Daily Mail Australia
06:43 21 May 2022, updated 06:56 21 May 2022

He's been out of coaching since 2018 when he was de-registered by the NRL
Flanagan said he wouldn't hesitate to drop son Kyle, who he coached previously
Former Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan has become the first candidate to publicly state his intention of taking the vacant Canterbury job, declaring there would be no issue coaching his son Kyle.

The Bulldogs appointed Mick Potter as an interim coach until the end of the season with the club expected to take their time finalising a replacement for Trent Barrett.

Potter says he has no interest in coaching the Dogs in the long run, with Flanagan the first would-be Canterbury coach putting his hand up for the role.

He took Cronulla to their first premiership and now Shane Flanagan (pictured in 2020 during his time with St George) has put his hand up to restore the Dogs to their former glory
'I haven't had any chats with the Bulldogs and I've got no idea what their plans are,' he told Sydney radio station 2GB on Saturday.

'I'd love to (coach the Bulldogs), I want to get back into coaching at NRL level.

'I think I could do a job there. At this point there's been no contact.'

The concern for Canterbury supporters will be the fact Shane would have to coach his son Kyle.

The 23-year-old halfback has endured a difficult time at the club since being let go by the Sydney Roosters in 2020 and there has been widespread speculation that Canterbury were trying to offload him over the summer.

Flanagan's son Kyle was touted as the club's long-term answer at halfback by Dogs football manager Phil Gould when he returned to first grade earlier this year - but his father says he won't hesitate to drop him if he's not the best No.7 at Canterbury
Shane, however, insisted that he would have no problems dropping his son if required.

'I coached Kyle for two or three years at the Cronulla Sharks and if he's not the best halfback in the club, he doesn't play and Kyle knows that himself,' he said.

'Just on Kyle, his best football, you haven't seen anything that he can do at the moment and I think he's probably gone a little bit backwards over the last 18 months.

'He's a better player than what he's showing at the moment ... that goes for a lot of the Bulldogs players at the moment, they're not playing well.'

Flanagan said he will speak to Phil Gould over the next week or two and see how he goes about applying for the toughest job in the NRL.

He harked back to the days when he came into first grade as a player in the late 1980s, when the Doggies were always one of the strongest teams in the competition.

'I'd love to be able to lead them back to where they were,' he said.
Setting the ball in motion, don't believe everything you read...
Flanagan isn't my favorite coach but for us he could be the best of what is available,
Hard times needs hard men !!!

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope you're right. But I think that should be part of the deal. You can coach but your son won't be at the club. It creates unwanted distractions and storylines and avoids any conflict of interests.
Yeah but come on. He’s contracted to the club. That’s just crazy, all we can do is have faith in the incoming coach.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely the best option and has a bit of mongrel which our softies need

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know people have there concerns over kyle, and rightly so, but I think it's pretty obvious that Shane will get the gig.
There will be too many spotlights on Snr to do the right thing, but the situation could become complicated if another half is is equivalently playing well like Jnr, who do you think will then be chosen ?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I’m happy with that. Gus obviously knows the books to, yet we can’t pay freight for everyone who is shit.
What helps us is that about 10 of the duds are off contract this year.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
CONTACT THIS MAN NOW GUS…!!!!

I would love to coach the BULLDOGS, and will drop my son if need be. He said all the right things we want to hear from a new coach coming into the job here. GUS needs to make contact and NOT FUCK THIS UP!

we have missed many opportunities in the past and can not afford to lose this MAN. He is the perfect candidate to lead this GREAT club to success.
He's contacted him at the coffee shop.. The rest is a production... Enjoy the ride cause I reckon its a done deal the club and Gus have to do due course

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What helps us is that about 10 of the duds are off contract this year.
There are no salary cap problems, the 10 players out of contract would be on minimum 2.5 millions, there are contracted players on big dollars that can be possibly moved.
It's about finding the right players in the right positions !

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah but come on. He’s contracted to the club. That’s just crazy, all we can do is have faith in the incoming coach.
Since when do contracts mean anything? Naden and Barrett were contracted a week ago. If Flanagan finds a club in England or as a backup at another NRL club, hopefully he's moved on to avoid any conflict.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes if we can offload Kyle. Having him in the side in 2023 will be too much of a distraction.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No just no he is a fucking cheat. I’d rather be cellar dwellers than drug cheats. Can’t stand the thought of him anywhere near the team. I like what Potter has done week one give him a trial and don’t sign anyone until he has a crack Potter assistant Jimmy
You'd be pretty naive to think cronulla were the only ones cheating at the time or any other time. Same as the salary cap... We got caught as did the storm. People need to move on from the peptide story

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok ok if we sign him up can I be the first to start a sack flanno thread ?