News Shane Flanagan puts his hand up to lead the basket case Bulldogs

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
- and says he has no problem with DROPPING his son Kyle out of first grade if he doesn't measure up
By George Clarke For Australian Associated Press and Shayne Bugden For Daily Mail Australia
06:43 21 May 2022, updated 06:56 21 May 2022

He's been out of coaching since 2018 when he was de-registered by the NRL
Flanagan said he wouldn't hesitate to drop son Kyle, who he coached previously
Former Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan has become the first candidate to publicly state his intention of taking the vacant Canterbury job, declaring there would be no issue coaching his son Kyle.

The Bulldogs appointed Mick Potter as an interim coach until the end of the season with the club expected to take their time finalising a replacement for Trent Barrett.

Potter says he has no interest in coaching the Dogs in the long run, with Flanagan the first would-be Canterbury coach putting his hand up for the role.

He took Cronulla to their first premiership and now Shane Flanagan (pictured in 2020 during his time with St George) has put his hand up to restore the Dogs to their former glory
'I haven't had any chats with the Bulldogs and I've got no idea what their plans are,' he told Sydney radio station 2GB on Saturday.

'I'd love to (coach the Bulldogs), I want to get back into coaching at NRL level.

'I think I could do a job there. At this point there's been no contact.'

The concern for Canterbury supporters will be the fact Shane would have to coach his son Kyle.

The 23-year-old halfback has endured a difficult time at the club since being let go by the Sydney Roosters in 2020 and there has been widespread speculation that Canterbury were trying to offload him over the summer.

Flanagan's son Kyle was touted as the club's long-term answer at halfback by Dogs football manager Phil Gould when he returned to first grade earlier this year - but his father says he won't hesitate to drop him if he's not the best No.7 at Canterbury
Shane, however, insisted that he would have no problems dropping his son if required.

'I coached Kyle for two or three years at the Cronulla Sharks and if he's not the best halfback in the club, he doesn't play and Kyle knows that himself,' he said.

'Just on Kyle, his best football, you haven't seen anything that he can do at the moment and I think he's probably gone a little bit backwards over the last 18 months.

'He's a better player than what he's showing at the moment ... that goes for a lot of the Bulldogs players at the moment, they're not playing well.'

Flanagan said he will speak to Phil Gould over the next week or two and see how he goes about applying for the toughest job in the NRL.

He harked back to the days when he came into first grade as a player in the late 1980s, when the Doggies were always one of the strongest teams in the competition.

'I'd love to be able to lead them back to where they were,' he said.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So he says he won't play him if not good enough but then makes excuses for him despite him being trash and makes it seem like he'd play him anyway saying "you haven't seen anything he can do at the moment"...

The only way I'd want Flanagan the coach is if his son was already moved on first.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So he says he won't play him if not good enough but then makes excuses for him despite him being trash and makes it seem like he'd play him anyway saying "you haven't seen anything he can do at the moment"...

The only way I'd want Flanagan the coach is if his son was already moved on first.
Nah I wouldn’t read into that mate. It was just a shot at the previous coaches, saying he is better than what’s being delivered. He’s making a statement to improve the players in the roster. That’s my take on it anyway

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nah I wouldn’t read into that mate. It was just a shot at the previous coaches, saying he is better than what’s being delivered. He’s making a statement to improve the players in the roster. That’s my take on it anyway
I hope you're right. But I think that should be part of the deal. You can coach but your son won't be at the club. It creates unwanted distractions and storylines and avoids any conflict of interests.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
To me Shane finally commented. I think it’s misdirection Redirection. Our club is at its lowest, the least Gould and co can do in the next few weeks is to announce our car going forward to give us some positives, even if it means we let him start now rather than next year

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ohh also forgot

the fact Shane said next couple weeks means his definitely knows what’s going on. How can you say they should make a call in a couple weeks if he hasn’t spoken to Gould lol

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
- and says he has no problem with DROPPING his son Kyle out of first grade if he doesn't measure up
By George Clarke For Australian Associated Press and Shayne Bugden For Daily Mail Australia
06:43 21 May 2022, updated 06:56 21 May 2022

He's been out of coaching since 2018 when he was de-registered by the NRL
Flanagan said he wouldn't hesitate to drop son Kyle, who he coached previously
Former Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan has become the first candidate to publicly state his intention of taking the vacant Canterbury job, declaring there would be no issue coaching his son Kyle.

The Bulldogs appointed Mick Potter as an interim coach until the end of the season with the club expected to take their time finalising a replacement for Trent Barrett.

Potter says he has no interest in coaching the Dogs in the long run, with Flanagan the first would-be Canterbury coach putting his hand up for the role.

He took Cronulla to their first premiership and now Shane Flanagan (pictured in 2020 during his time with St George) has put his hand up to restore the Dogs to their former glory
'I haven't had any chats with the Bulldogs and I've got no idea what their plans are,' he told Sydney radio station 2GB on Saturday.

'I'd love to (coach the Bulldogs), I want to get back into coaching at NRL level.

'I think I could do a job there. At this point there's been no contact.'

The concern for Canterbury supporters will be the fact Shane would have to coach his son Kyle.

The 23-year-old halfback has endured a difficult time at the club since being let go by the Sydney Roosters in 2020 and there has been widespread speculation that Canterbury were trying to offload him over the summer.

Flanagan's son Kyle was touted as the club's long-term answer at halfback by Dogs football manager Phil Gould when he returned to first grade earlier this year - but his father says he won't hesitate to drop him if he's not the best No.7 at Canterbury
Shane, however, insisted that he would have no problems dropping his son if required.

'I coached Kyle for two or three years at the Cronulla Sharks and if he's not the best halfback in the club, he doesn't play and Kyle knows that himself,' he said.

'Just on Kyle, his best football, you haven't seen anything that he can do at the moment and I think he's probably gone a little bit backwards over the last 18 months.

'He's a better player than what he's showing at the moment ... that goes for a lot of the Bulldogs players at the moment, they're not playing well.'

Flanagan said he will speak to Phil Gould over the next week or two and see how he goes about applying for the toughest job in the NRL.

He harked back to the days when he came into first grade as a player in the late 1980s, when the Doggies were always one of the strongest teams in the competition.

'I'd love to be able to lead them back to where they were,' he said.
Yea Yea, I'm sure you will treat your son like you would any other player

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Just on Kyle, his best football, you haven't seen anything that he can do at the moment and I think he's probably gone a little bit backwards over the last 18 months.

'He's a better player than what he's showing at the moment ... that goes for a lot of the Bulldogs players at the moment, they're not playing well.'"

LOLLLL he is already making excuses for Kyle FFS

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

The other thing is he’ll drop him for who? Averillo, Wakeham is gone at the end of the year. The other option is Rajab but we don’t even know if he’s up to FG standard yet.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Just on Kyle, his best football, you haven't seen anything that he can do at the moment and I think he's probably gone a little bit backwards over the last 18 months.

'He's a better player than what he's showing at the moment ... that goes for a lot of the Bulldogs players at the moment, they're not playing well.'"

Kyle certainly hasnt looked anything like his cronulla days will admit that much.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score

I thought that was more of a subtle dig at Barrett

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
CONTACT THIS MAN NOW GUS…!!!!

I would love to coach the BULLDOGS, and will drop my son if need be. He said all the right things we want to hear from a new coach coming into the job here. GUS needs to make contact and NOT FUCK THIS UP!

we have missed many opportunities in the past and can not afford to lose this MAN. He is the perfect candidate to lead this GREAT club to success.

Last edited:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Well he’d have a decision to make straight away as Kyle is free to negotiate Nov 1. You’d think he’d resign his son.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well he’d have a decision to make straight away as Kyle is free to negotiate Nov 1. You’d think he’d resign his son.
Hopefully Gus has moved him on by then and he or the board make it clear to Shane that he won't be here next year. Tell him the job is yours if you're still willing to accept. Which he would...