Official Sam Hughes contract extension

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t mean to burst anyone’s bubble it’s just the way I see it here but we may not be going to market for an alpha at all.

If some of the younger guys continue to develop into first graders Todd, Hipoi etc then we are more competitive then we have been. The alpha will come from within like a Seve in 2-3 years time. If you look at say Leota or Fish they took a few years to cement their status and that’s the game plan/ blue print Ciro and Gus have IMO. Unless somebody comes to market unexpectedly I don’t think we are hunting an alpha prop.
I'm confident Hughes, Hopoi and Todd along with Seve will be close to top shelves one day but when?

Rather I cant see us being a top contending pack for another good 3-4 years if we dont go to market.

Also need to remember in the years we have been successful we bought atleast one prop to take us to a GF. Most recent Ogre and Bupa.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm confident Hughes, Hopoi and Todd along with Seve will be close to top shelves one day but when?

Rather I cant see us being a top contending pack for another good 3-4 years if we dont go to market.

Also need to remember in the years we have been successful we bought atleast one prop to take us to a GF. Most recent Ogre and Bupa.
Not sure mate I can’t say but am confident within 2-3 years they will all be regular first graders and if not probably won’t be re-signed.

Point taken with regard to the props you mentioned we bought in no doubting that but as I mentioned with Fish & Leota they came from within and I think that’s what Gus and Ciro’s plan is. Guys like Knight and Tetevano are underwhelming signings but they are there to help the development of the kids coming through so we don’t have to blood them too early as you saw in more recent times we’ve been forced to put players into FG that needed more time in lower grades. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also, how have we been going lately in terms of getting said Alpha prop, how might that change for the better later this year?
Hughes i like, Patolo has the ability I believe but can't get on the field so he is on his last chance this year to play consistently and build his profile.
Interesting to see what they do with Kingy as the season progresses.I'm on the fence and suppose it comes down to how much is he worth not so much next year but in 2026 and beyond to us and other clubs.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can barely see his face in that picture. God our marketing team is shit. Yeah, I get the need to have blue but so much blue? Totally unprofessional and a sign that the club is definitely going in the wrong direction. Gus has been her for a number of years now and he should've fixed this shot. It's so basic.
Looks like an ad for breath testing, 'What is your Plan B?'.
Or was it taken outside the cubicles at the Stonewall pub?

NRL is amateur hour.
Their incompetence used to be amusing, part of the blundering hicksville simplicity of rugby league.
But the prices NRL/Bulldogs demand for match tickets these days are not funny.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is this guy just being eased into 1st grade? Is he expected to do more later or is he doing what's expected of himself for now.

I was under the impression he's a gun, to be racking up stats or making breaks or offloads, maybe he's just meant to be a solid forward, nothing special, does the job type of prop.

I understand why he'd have minimal minutes for now, I'm just curious what the coaching mindset would be in the way he's being used or plans for the near future. Because if he's ready then go hard, otherwise grind it out and build up game time in reserve grade.

So many questions, I'd just like to know what's the go with Sam Hughes from a coaching perspective, all I know about him is that he had a disrupted 2023 and back now as a prop, he is a machine, that he was seriously impressing everyone in and around training and has a hard work ethic.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Is this guy just being eased into 1st grade? Is he expected to do more later or is he doing what's expected of himself for now.

I was under the impression he's a gun, to be racking up stats or making breaks or offloads, maybe he's just meant to be a solid forward, nothing special, does the job type of prop.

I understand why he'd have minimal minutes for now, I'm just curious what the coaching mindset would be in the way he's being used or plans for the near future. Because if he's ready then go hard, otherwise grind it out and build up game time in reserve grade.

So many questions, I'd just like to know what's the go with Sam Hughes from a coaching perspective, all I know about him is that he had a disrupted 2023 and back now as a prop, he is a machine, that he was seriously impressing everyone in and around training and has a hard work ethic.
Tbh I am a little bit underwhelmed also. I think he needs to lift. He has a lot of potential

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He seems to be getting eased in. The very short minutes and time he's brought into the game aren't helping him impress. He doesn't look like a big impact prop but more of a toiler that will do the hard work. Needs more minutes imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm happy with him being eased in. In the past he'd have been getting short stints alongside the monsters that used to be our pack. There's been a handful of promising forwards that seem to have sunk (either due to injury or loss of confidence) when we've pushed them into the NRL early on. Hopefully it just means Hughes has a chance to toughen up and acclimate to the pace of the NRL before too much is asked of him.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I mean what the fuck Ciraldo doing playing him last 10min when we've been 2 men down?

Can't honestly expect much from an experienced prop playing 10min a week.