Official Sam Hughes contract extension

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats the shit part... Unless you can come to an agreement u aint getting anyone before 26.

You'll look at Leo Thompson, Xavier Willison or Stef Utoikamanu.

OR you tough it out until Hopoi and Toddy are as good as Hughes and King.
I think he might sign another shorter term deal likely 2 year extension if we keep him. We’ll likely let Sutton go first and use his cash. just depends on the timing. But I don’t think Kingy will be here longer than that.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great to get this done before the season

Nothing on King yet is concerning…
He just got married. Would assume he had other things on his mind. I'd guess he's hoping to get a few good games in again before hitting the negotiation table anyway. He's said how grateful he was for getting a shot with us after spending the previous year doing rehab. So I'd think if we want him to extend we're in the box seat as long as we offer him fair money.

he will surprise us. I’ve always said any team in the competition can go from the bottom to the top within the season, no matter how bad their previous season was. What is the magic formula other than luck?

confidence.

if we can get real quick on getting the confidence in the team then the sky is the limit. 2008>2009 is a perfect scenario. 2011>2012
I'm not getting my expectations up. But I'm hopeful that we'll be pushing for the 8. Remains to be seen how we perform. But we've certainly got a better roster.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he might sign another shorter term deal likely 2 year extension if we keep him. We’ll likely let Sutton go first and use his cash. just depends on the timing. But I don’t think Kingy will be here longer than that.
Timing and how much we got in the cap.

Sutto is still here for 2 years unless he walks so it leaves you with Kings 500kish to play with.

If Patolo and Sutto go well once they return and Todd, Hopoi have strong years in reggies we might be able to get away with 2025 and bring in the Alpha for 26.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thats the shit part... Unless you can come to an agreement u aint getting anyone before 26.

You'll look at Leo Thompson, Xavier Willison or Stef Utoikamanu.

OR you tough it out until Hopoi and Toddy are as good as Hughes and King.
Still letting King walk is wild unless he's asking for crazy money. He gives you 55 quality minutes on both sides of the ball. During the trial I seen King make 3-4 back to back tackles one set while other players were caught out of position.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still letting King walk is wild unless he's asking for crazy money. He gives you 55 quality minutes on both sides of the ball. During the trial I seen King make 3-4 back to back tackles one set while other players were caught out of position.
No doubt bruz, guy is a machine... though few other options if Hughes, Todd or Hopoi can do Kings job.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Need King to extend next because there's basically nothing left on the market. Hughes extention in itself obviously great but if King isn't extended it'd be a L overall.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hughes was an easier deal to get done because he’s virtually still an unknown to the rest of the league but he’s in for a big season so imagine trying to sign him when he’s played 10 or more games and he’s on fire , other clubs will circle and his agent will want to push up his price. King on the other hand knows he’s our number one prop so prob wants to test the market, I can’t see him not extending with us unless he takes more money to play off the bench at most other clubs

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hughes was an easier deal to get done because he’s virtually still an unknown to the rest of the league but he’s in for a big season so imagine trying to sign him when he’s played 10 or more games and he’s on fire , other clubs will circle and his agent will want to push up his price. King on the other hand knows he’s our number one prop so prob wants to test the market, I can’t see him not extending with us unless he takes more money to play off the bench at most other clubs
Smart move by Gould, but you won’t hear that on here or in the DT rag ..

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Good signing. Could be anything. At the very least offers good impact and metres off the bench.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
other clubs won't offer him more money than us to play off the bench unless we're lowballing him

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hopefully Clarke is next.
Interest will have only increased in the past two weeks.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Probably one of the only first grade ready big bodied props we have at the club. So excellent news locking him up. Fingers crossed kid has a break out year. Has a bit of speed to and can pop on offload so will definitely help us if he stays fit and gets solid game time.

TheAlmightyJish

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have fuck all props and people are considering it a good option to let our best prop go? I really get utterly shocked sometimes on here.

King and Hughes are the priority moving forward. We have to have them both locked in and they would not break the bank currently. Would still give us money to hunt for another top line prop.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Waiting for neg spin…
Can barely see his face in that picture. God our marketing team is shit. Yeah, I get the need to have blue but so much blue? Totally unprofessional and a sign that the club is definitely going in the wrong direction. Gus has been her for a number of years now and he should've fixed this shot. It's so basic.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have fuck all props and people are considering it a good option to let our best prop go? I really get utterly shocked sometimes on here.

King and Hughes are the priority moving forward. We have to have them both locked in and they would not break the bank currently. Would still give us money to hunt for another top line prop.

King's next contract will be between 5-600k over a few years.

Hopoi, Todd and Hughes will be your props next year.

You would also think there would be a few cheapies on board like this year.

If you sign King you would think you have no chance at signing a top shelf prop due to cap restrictions. You also have upgrades to the kids coming into grade.

Question is would you spend the money on King or spend a little more to ensure u have a premiership winning pack?

TheAlmightyJish

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
King's next contract will be between 5-600k over a few years.

Hopoi, Todd and Hughes will be your props next year.

You would also think there would be a few cheapies on board like this year.

If you sign King you would think you have no chance at signing a top shelf prop due to cap restrictions. You also have upgrades to the kids coming into grade.

Question is would you spend the money on King or spend a little more to ensure u have a premiership winning pack?
I can see what you are getting at mate however I rate King very highly. And 5-600k isn't breaking the bank in a couple of years. I'd be keeping what we know is reliable and good. We need experienced forwards in the team.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sutton is only signed till 25 so King will only be taking that 500-600 going forward i would guess. At that money we cannot afford to not keep him.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can see what you are getting at mate however I rate King very highly. And 5-600k isn't breaking the bank in a couple of years. I'd be keeping what we know is reliable and good. We need experienced forwards in the team.
No doubt.. as I said I would love to keep him. Even if he pushes back to the bench for the kids later on.

Just depends if we are confident with that pack going forward and whether we believe its premiership winning?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Timing and how much we got in the cap.

Sutto is still here for 2 years unless he walks so it leaves you with Kings 500kish to play with.

If Patolo and Sutto go well once they return and Todd, Hopoi have strong years in reggies we might be able to get away with 2025 and bring in the Alpha for 26.
I don’t mean to burst anyone’s bubble it’s just the way I see it here but we may not be going to market for an alpha at all.

If some of the younger guys continue to develop into first graders Todd, Hipoi etc then we are more competitive then we have been. The alpha will come from within like a Seve in 2-3 years time. If you look at say Leota or Fish they took a few years to cement their status and that’s the game plan/ blue print Ciro and Gus have IMO. Unless somebody comes to market unexpectedly I don’t think we are hunting an alpha prop.