RULE CHANGES AND MORE RULE CHANGES

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
there was no major issue initially wrong in rugby league. If you wanna make a more enjoyable and fair match investigate match fixing, issue is set restarts and there other rules were added primarily to fix a match due to the pace that the game is at now the ref can give one and no one will know why. This new style of rugby league is a prime example of a wanker at the top making rules without input from fans.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh right I’d never heard of that saying - my bad. Just read Vlad (vlandys abbreviated )which is a Russian name then your reference to Russian robots.

All that aside I don’t like the new & proposed new rules, it feels like a different game to the one I grew playing and watching. Maybe some people are ok with that but personally if I wasn’t in a footy tipping comp and putting on multis there is a lot of games I probably wouldn’t watch now because it’s it’s decided in 10-15min period by a stack of penalties & set restarts.
#NPC83 he's know as V'lad the Impaler.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course there was never any issue. The bloke at the top thinks he knows the game and sadly he knows fvck all. He is from the Racing Industry, which by the way is designed for gaming and gambling and is heavily supported by the betting agencies. All these new rules changes have done absolutely nothing toward their so called making the "product more appealing" guise, but they have made the games more predictable for betting purposes..... go figure!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Of course there was never any issue. The bloke at the top thinks he knows the game and sadly he knows fvck all. He is from the Racing Industry, which by the way is designed for gaming and gambling and is heavily supported by the betting agencies. All these new rules changes have done absolutely nothing toward their so called making the "product more appealing" guise, but they have made the games more predictable for betting purposes..... go figure!
I'd be prepared to argue that every rule change in the last ten or so years has pushed it towards being something the referees can manipulate. Rules need to be black and white, not open to interpretation by a referee and every change has opened up more grey areas for referee interpretation. This six again bullshit might just be the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of people. The six again just confuses people and life long fans of the game don't really take well to thinking they don't know why the fuck someone is being penalised.

The thing is though, if you're a Peter Vlandys who is only going to be involved in the game for 2-5 years, you don't give a shit if you upset the fans when the gambling sponsors are potentially going to pay bonuses if you allow themn to rig the games for maximum profit.

I hit the point early this season where I stopped even trying to watch our games let alone other games. The six again rules just took the contest out of it. Even vastly understrength teams could pull off upsets prior to this change, now it's virtually impossible when the refs can just blow repeat sets for reasons only they can see. Fatigue pretty much prevents those upsets and it's something they can easily control now. I think it's going to take a spectacular start to the season from our side for me to actually want to watch games again. I just have no interest in a rigged competition. Even if we're winning it'll be hard to feel good about it if it's due to referees giving us a leg up.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Brainchild of Wayne Pearce. Bloke is fucked in the head.
Thank goodness he is on the way out.....as players too are not happy with the way he and his committee have tinkered with the rules......

Wayne Pearce’s time on the ARL Commission is coming to an end
BRENT READFollow @brentread_7

Balmain legend Wayne Pearce’s time on the ARL Commission is coming to an end
  • 8:55AM AUGUST 27, 2021
Wayne Pearce has been on the ARL Commission for the best part of a decade. He was one of the inaugural commissioners and has outlasted everyone.
His time, however, is coming to an end. Pearce’s latest term on the commission is due to expire in February and he told Weekend Read this week that he was undecided about continuing.
Word is that it may not be his decision anyway. The clubs wield more power and influence these days and some of them believe the time has come for turnover, even though Pearce has forged a close relationship with ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys

It is understood a list is already being put together of potential replacements for the Balmain legend, although it won’t necessarily be that easy.
Pearce is one of the few people on the commission with rugby league DNA. The challenge for the clubs will be finding a former player with the smarts to make a contribution and the gravitas to warrant being a member of the commission.
There was talk that the clubs would be interested in replacing Pearce with Peter Sterling, the Parramatta legend who is about to call time on his commentating career with the Nine Network.
Sterling is regarded as one of the sharpest minds in the game. He is also a popular figure with fans, having been voted as the game’s favourite TV analyst in a recent poll on NRL.com.
Weekend Read broached the potential approach with Sterling and while he was flattered that his name was raised, he indicated that he would be reluctant to take on a demanding position given he is seeking to wind down his involvement in the code.
Mark Coyne, who was a commissioner before standing aside after an incident in Singapore two years ago, would no doubt have support but there is a view that his return is impossible.
The clubs and V’landys have time on their side given they don’t need to make a call until early next year. Before then, the commission is expected to have filled the vacant eighth position, having already sounded out former Nine Network boss David Gyngell.
Gyngell was believed to be flattered by the approach but reticent to throw himself back into the game at such a high level. Pearce, meanwhile, was under the gun from rugby league fans and players on Friday after suggesting more tinkering with the rules in the final round of the season.
Pearce, who is on the innovation committee, suggested a change to the rules around kicking into touch. Melbourne prop Christian Welch was among those to raise concerns.
“Please just leave our game alone,” he wrote on social media.
“The tension, grind, pressure & game management almost already gone. Would love the commission for less gimmicking with the rules & more focus on bigger picture strategy.”

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would'nt completely blame V'Landays or any of the others for that matter because at least some of the problem is caused by the changes in Players bodies in recent times. Dean Pay was around 90 KG's when he started playing prop for us. With the changes in body shapes other changes were always going to be inevitable. Just that the powers went in the wrong direction, and now IMHO there is no turning back, and we will in the future see more never ending changes untill the game dead and burried.
I personally enjoy the girls and kids games much more than NRL games nowdays..
The girls league is really good to watch. Watched the women's State of Origin a few years ago and been a fan ever since.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have written to the NRL a number of times with well thought out and constructive suggestions. At no stage have I received a reply.

I doubt they welcome input from fans. So your idea, as much as I agree with it won't fly unfortunately.
You have provided the reason as to why you have not received a reply. That is tantamount to lunacy......

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
just leave the freekin game alone, those idiots trying to bring in these new rules are fucking the game completely

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I get they're trying to make the game more exciting and faster but it comes at a significant price. More and more players are getting injured, with many even season ending. They even brought in the 18th man rule partly as a result of this. Do they not see the correlation here?
Faster doesn't make the game more exciting. 50 plus score lines every second game and no intensity is just boring.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Faster doesn't make the game more exciting. 50 plus score lines every second game and no intensity is just boring.
The game has naturally progressed faster anyway over the years due to strict training regimes, diets, science & technology etc... and yes it is far more exciting. But we don't need to speed it up any further.
Having said that, these new rules have been a blight to the game in more ways than one. These blown out score lines as you memtioned, are one of them.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they should take all the new rule changes and shove them up someone’s ass!...

league was 100% better game to watch before V’landys showed up imo

Last edited:

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They’ve lost me this year…this 7 tackle bullshit for kicking the ball into touch? WTF? Why????

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im pretty much dusted the six again killed the game for me i watch the odd dogs games seems to me we get caned by the six again and we are stuffed from defending three quarters of the game i know we aint a star studded side but in days gone by the underdog managed an upset here and there not any more

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get they're trying to make the game more exciting and faster but it comes at a significant price. More and more players are getting injured, with many even season ending. They even brought in the 18th man rule partly as a result of this. Do they not see the correlation here?
Hi Sandra, big fan. Just wondering if you still get those baby penis facials.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Probably correct.
I think the major problem with the much vaunted ARL Commission is that it is over loaded with business people, and not enough people who have been involved with the game at Elite club level who have superior understanding of the game.

I've said thus before but the commission needs a balance by having on there, a retired referee, a retired coach and an ex club ceo, to balance out those with business acumen who have less rugby league intelligence.
I'd almost agree with you but the one person who IS the rugby league person on the Commission - Wayne Pearce is the moron who came up with the latest diabolical rule! It's as if Wayne & Mitchell have swapped brains!