Official Round 9 Bulldogs V Dragons - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zelezniak will cost you 4 try’s playing fullback. Fair enough he runs the ball back hard when he catches is (which is about 1/3 times :p) but in defence he has zero ability to read the play what so ever.

he is never in a position to cover short kicks when the opposition is 10 out.

If I was coaching against the dogs with zelezniak at fullback I’d tell my team to run at the line with players in motion then roll it in the ingoal. Chances are if zelezniak is there he will drop it or if he does pick it up he might play the ball the wrong way.
Dont forget the dud challenges!

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Absolutely cannot win with Cummins as ref. He will cane the shit out of this side with 6 agains to the saints. I reckon we will cop 10 with 7-8 in the first half. Possession 40%. I’m going to need an extra carton of vb otherwise I’ll be smashing that fuckn tv.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fuckin hell Trent,
* Napa starts again, it must be demoralising for Atoni who has been playing very well, named on the bench again while lazy fuck Napa has a free ride.
* Those people calling for Meaney over DWZ at fullback. Watch our sets when Meaney plays, he gets dominated and then dragged back a few metres and then the defense has all the energy, smashing us for 25-30m total set metres. DWZ finds his front & plays the ball so much quicker, giving us a chance to get our sets rolling with another dummy half run etc. That is the biggest difference. I wish DWZ was like Meaney under the high ball....
* Katoa at hooker is just soul crushing. He is so bad....if Trent doesn't change that to Deitz or even better Topine in Round 11, then God help us!
* We need Jackson and RFM back, so we can demote Waddell and Smith back to the bench or reserves, speedy recovery boyz.
Got more chance of seeing a blue moon than Waddell being dropped. He’s here to stay bro compliments of tbaz.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dallin at fullback... FMD this **** is not and never will be a top tier fullback. I don't care what anyone says we will not ever win a title with him there, no matter what players you put around him it just won't happen. Let Meaney stay there and have a real opportunity to show if he has it and if not move on... Fuck you Trent
If you can’t see Meaney doesn’t have it nor will he ever have it by now I assume you watch very little footy or are extremely patient individual.
He’s been off contract since November 1 last year
Guess how many clubs have made enquires
You guessed it
Duck egg
Sweet fcu kc all
He’s not fg standard

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with Lomax out, if Saints can't beat us with the side we've announced. Starting with Napa and Kotoa as hooker after he was nothing more than a turn style last week and seeing Cummins as ref then they, the Saints, shouldn't be in the comp. At home they should rack up a score against us I'm sorry to say unless Barrett promotes a few of those reserves before Sunday to give us any hope of competing.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely cannot win with Cummins as ref. He will cane the shit out of this side with 6 agains to the saints. I reckon we will cop 10 with 7-8 in the first half. Possession 40%. I’m going to need an extra carton of vb otherwise I’ll be smashing that fuckn tv.
If only the **** just copped an acl when his about to blow a 6 again

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If you can’t see Meaney doesn’t have it nor will he ever have it by now I assume you watch very little footy or are extremely patient individual.
He’s been off contract since November 1 last year
Guess how many clubs have made enquires
You guessed it
Duck egg
Sweet fcu kc all
He’s not fg standard
Haha the old you don't watch footy comment, always strengthens the argument. Honestly anyone who says Meaney has been given a fair go at fullback is lying.

1. Our teams has been shit for years, he doesn't have a good pack or spine to work with
2. Everyone says he's to small, however you can clearly see he's added quality mass to his frame over the last 2 seasons.
3. Everyone says he gets man handled, not the case anymore, infact in most games he's been our best dummy half runner and often gets our quicker play the balls as he can strategically find the ground faster the most.
4. He's safe and reliable under the high ball
5. When he was moved to the wing intially for Hoppa (biggest mistake ever) he didn't sulk like fucking DWZ did when he form was trash. He had a crack under trying circumstances and did his best for the team.

To say he isn't FG standard is bullshit, there is a great player in there who needs quality coaching and support. Sadly our club hasn't been the best place for him as they have fucked him around for years.
Guarantee if he started his career in Melbourne's system or some other top tier side someone here would have made a thread about signing him at some point...

Fact is we suck at development and havent given the kid a fair go... Perfect example is Dylan Edwards, he looked shit seasons ago, but look at him now. Sometimes better systems and showing belief/ confidence in kids from is what's needed to get that improvement...

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haha the old you don't watch footy comment, always strengthens the argument. Honestly anyone who says Meaney has been given a fair go at fullback is lying.

1. Our teams has been shit for years, he doesn't have a good pack or spine to work with
2. Everyone says he's to small, however you can clearly see he's added quality mass to his frame over the last 2 seasons.
3. Everyone says he gets man handled, not the case anymore, infact in most games he's been our best dummy half runner and often gets our quicker play the balls as he can strategically find the ground faster the most.
4. He's safe and reliable under the high ball
5. When he was moved to the wing intially for Hoppa (biggest mistake ever) he didn't sulk like fucking DWZ did when he form was trash. He had a crack under trying circumstances and did his best for the team.

To say he isn't FG standard is bullshit, there is a great player in there who needs quality coaching and support. Sadly our club hasn't been the best place for him as they have fucked him around for years.
Guarantee if he started his career in Melbourne's system or some other top tier side someone here would have made a thread about signing him at some point...

Fact is we suck at development and havent given the kid a fair go... Perfect example is Dylan Edwards, he looked shit seasons ago, but look at him now. Sometimes better systems and showing belief/ confidence in kids from is what's needed to get that improvement...
He has been given a fair crack at fullback by three coaches now. He's played dozens of games at fullback over three seasons and hasn't ever dominated or played well enough to stay there. He's had a decent game or two here and there, and then generally follows it up with average games where he doesn't make many metres and or have an impact on the game that you need from your fullback these days.

As for his development/potential.. If you're not pushing up in support, making line breaks/tackle busts or getting try assists regularly by your fourth season and at your second club, then chances are it's not in his game and it's less to do with coaching and more to do with his limitations as a player.

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For some reason norman and hunt save their one best games of the year for the dogs.
Watch them throw the ball around and lead them to a win.
Come on doggies ,aim up .traditional rivals that we have to beat....

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He will reff us out of this match like the knights match. Him, Klein, Atkins and the Sutton's always ref us out of matches.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He has been given a fair crack at fullback by three coaches now. He's played dozens of games at fullback over three seasons and hasn't ever dominated or played well enough to stay there. He's had a decent game or two here and there, and then generally follows it up with average games where he doesn't make many metres and or have an impact on the game that you need from your fullback these days.

As for his development/potential.. If you're not pushing up in support, making line breaks/tackle busts or getting try assists regularly by your fourth season and at your second club, then chances are it's not in his game and it's less to do with coaching and more to do with his limitations as a player.
You say 4 years like he's played every game... which he has not. Not even 50 FG games. In and out of side, at wing one week fullback the next, side around him changing constantly, no combination allowed to grow... Guess thats what everyone wants a brain dead error prone FB who runs hard

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You say 4 years like he's played every game... which he has not. Not even 50 FG games. In and out of side, at wing one week fullback the next, side around him changing constantly, no combination allowed to grow... Guess thats what everyone wants a brain dead error prone FB who runs hard
No he hasn't played every game there. But he's been given numerous opportunities. DWZ isn't the long term answer either. Neither of them are.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No he hasn't played every game there. But he's been given numerous opportunities. DWZ isn't the long term answer either. Neither of them are.
Agree, so you go with the kid who has the higher ceiling there and let DWZ run hard from the wing. Or just let him drop back to have most kick returns and let Meaney be fullback for rest of the set. It simple really but our club bottles players ability or opportunity to improve on a regular basis and it's extremely frustrating.

For example look at Cogger, everyone that of him saying he was terrible, couldn't tackle etc but look how how he always engaged the line in attack to draw defenders, yet now we have Flanagan who's gun shy. Im fine with Barrett being our long term coach as he deserves a shot, but I'm starting to doubt his ability to build and develop talent, I think we will be a cheque book side.

ElMagic92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He will reff us out of this match like the knights match. Him, Klein, Atkins and the Sutton's always ref us out of matches.

While a refs decision might occasionally go against us, or any other team for that matter, doesn’t help when we play as shit as we have been playing.

If we’re were the better team, we would win. Simple as that.

It is not like us nor the dragons are 2 competitive teams that 1 poor ref decision can change the outcome of the game.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree,
so you go with the kid who has the higher ceiling there and let DWZ run hard from the wing. Or just let him drop back to have most kick returns and let Meaney be fullback for rest of the set. It simple really but our club bottles players ability or opportunity to improve on a regular basis and it's extremely frustrating.

For example look at Cogger, everyone that of him saying he was terrible, couldn't tackle etc but look how how he always engaged the line in attack to draw defenders, yet now we have Flanagan who's gun shy. Im fine with Barrett being our long term coach as he deserves a shot, but I'm starting to doubt his ability to build and develop talent, I think we will be a cheque book side.
I don't mind your suggestion of DWZ on kick returns then Meaney at fullback the rest of the set..

It's too early to tell on Baz's ability to develop talent. I think he has buyers remorse on Allan and Flanagan so far though.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
6 of one blah blah...i thought Meaney may have been given more of a go but the point others and i made before of him getting owned on kick returns quickly reared its head he was pretty plain against Parra(amongst a cast of many).As said neither are probably the longer term option but one is on big coin at the Dogs for '22 the other is off contract.....NO other options come to mind unless say Schoupp comes in in a few weeks and they rejig the backline and Allan gets another go..and watch the kennel arc right up about that scenario too.
Am probably another vote for some alternating between the two, just another position we're in a bit of pain with atm.