Official Round 10 - Bulldogs vs Dragons - Discussion Thread

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meaney just needs to make sure he is there in support if a break is made. That was my biggest criticism of him the first time he was handed the fullback spot. I think if Averillo comes in (surely he comes in if he is available??) he pushes Montoya to the wing and Crichton gets dropped. Montoya can't play centre because he doesn't pass. If Holland makes any stupid mistakes he needs to be fired out off a canon, surely this is his last chance.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Averillo isn't starting then the club is taking the piss. The only point of the last eleven games is to develop players.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Graeme Hughes said yesterday that he rated Averillo higher than Wakeham. He believes Averillo is a real talent that should be playing regular first grade. High praise from a very respected bulldog great.
I tend to agree with him and would love to see him play along side Foran. Hopefully once Hopoate is back it can happen if Meaney does a good enough job of fullback.
Meaney, Okunbor, Hopoate, DWZ, Smith, Averillo, Foran

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Graeme Hughes said yesterday that he rated Averillo higher than Wakeham. He believes Averillo is a real talent that should be playing regular first grade. High praise from a very respected bulldog great.
Like I mentioned a few weeks backs, even the refs are excited about Averillo and think he will be another superstar.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think from his first 2 games everyone could see averillo is a star in the making.

Our clubs got a history of fucking up retention of our stars, we just have to make sure it doesn't happen.

Fuck I'd be happy of we threw the kid a 5 year 4 million dollar contract now

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Like I mentioned a few weeks backs, even the refs are excited about Averillo and think he will be another superstar.
And their eyes are painted on! What's the clubs excuse? Ray Charles could see that Averillo is better than Montoya, Holland and Crichton and needs to play.

I hope he's a late inclusion. You can't develop juniors and young players if they don't play.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I love Avo but damn.
Why not? Potential is definitely there and we don't want him poached.

If our rebuild takes too long he might get frustrated and leave when his contract is up.

Lock him in now.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not? Potential is definitely there and we don't want him poached.

If our rebuild takes too long he might get frustrated and leave when his contract is up.

Lock him in now.
I mean, its a bad idea cos no one else would offer him anything close. Same happened with Mbye no?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I mean, its a bad idea cos no one else would offer him anything close. Same happened with Mbye no?
When has moses ever shown what averillo has shown already?

In his whole career so far, mbye hasn't shown anything close to averillo

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When has moses ever shown what averillo has shown already?

In his whole career so far, mbye hasn't shown anything close to averillo
He was fairly highly touted in the early days, a bit of recency bias happening at the moment.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's a no brainer, anyone that has seen the two of the play could tell that and we've been saying it on here for ages. The thing is we shouldn't be in a position where it's one or the other, we should be able to retain both if we want and still hit the market.

Averillo is still young and is capable of playing numerous positions, bit of a joke that he isn't playing again this week with bums like Montoya, Holland and Lewis ahead of him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I remember an episode of Play School where they pretty much showed how to make a bong, i shit you not.

Didn't even watch it but I guess it's the bong video? Haha

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Curious to know how meaney (who has wanted this fullback role for a while now) and Katoa handle attack with new coach....downside to meaney is height as the teams high on ladder have bigger and taller fullbacks.
Under 12’s have bigger fullbacks

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Height doesn't mean much when Meaney makes Brett Hodgson look stronger than Wendell Sailor.

He's safe under the high ball but he gets ragdolled and dominated physically. He doesn't break through tackles, have a fend, not much of a step and he can't ball play.

For the next game or two Meaney should stay there but after that Averillo should get a shot there for a few games. Either way Averillo should start this week at centre.