Ricky Stuart: Unleash Idris for the blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
JAMAL Idris, and a few other raw-boned, rip-and-tear players like him, are the circuit breakers to turn Origin football NSW's way this year.

It's about time the Blues faced that old line - the one that says if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

We're facing a fifth straight series loss this year. It's time we reconsider the way we have picked teams in the past and consider an alternative.

Origin football is less about game plans and strategy than it is about players and attitude.

That's why Queensland are always competitive - even when they are down on talent, they pick players with an Origin attitude.

Idris has shown us he has that, and a lot more, in recent weeks.

The way he went after Timana Tahu when the Dogs played Parramatta was the perfect teaser for Origin football.

Here was a guy putting it all on the line, making it personal against his opposite. It gave him something to lose, but Idris came through it and finished over the top of Tahu.

Then he took a small step up with his debut in representative football and he was terrific.

Far from overawed, he went after the City players on Friday with aggression and purpose. He was showing us that, mentally, he could make the adjustment.

So, for mine, mentally he makes it as an Origin player.

There are two other things I like about him. He is a monster to be playing in the centres. This presents the Queensland backline with a problem they haven't seen for some time.

The other part to him is that, last year, when the Dogs played Melbourne, Idris terrorised Greg Inglis all game.

I think we need to take the same philosophy with Idris into our pack.

Big players win big games. It is never more true than in Origin.

In the past couple of years there has been too much of a sameness about our pack, size-wise, that has made it easy for Queensland to nullify us. Our whole pack more or less had the same body shape, same height, meaning once Queensland prepared for one they were prepared for all. Nothing different was coming at them.

(rest is all crap and not really important)

Centres: As I said, Idris is shaping as just what we need in Origin. The other centre I'd pick with him is Tahu.

Tahu is nice and big and can whack in defence. He's good on his feet, too.

Five-eighth: The reason I have Idris and Tahu at centre is because I think we need Jamie Lyon at five-eighth. We're lacking a genuine No. 6 at Origin level.

Lyon at five-eighth gives us a more solid look through the backline.

Telegraph

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tahu and Idris...

I'd have Jennings and Lawrence. Idris would be my third choice, Tahu my last.

GTJOHN

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as i would hate to lose Idris for the 3 origin games, im sure he will cope ( attack wise anyways)
and as a added Bonus, he may gain new skills working under Bellamy and nsw support staff over orgin camps..
im sure bellamy would work wonders on thsi kid and he will come back to us a improved allrounder

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd pick carney at 5/8. picking lyon at 5/8 amounts to the same losing formula we've tried many times before. Lyon is not a 5/8 and never has been. Carney will warm into the role and he is the bloke who has the class in the halves to match queensland.

Idris will get picked for origin, that's for sure.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Sticky, neck up. You cant coach for sh!t anyway so dont be saying who should be picked for Origin.

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
as i said idris will play if they loss game one as will chris armit

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1)Dugan
2)Morris
3)Lawrence
4)Tahu
5)Hayne
6)Bird
7)Noddy
8)Brett White
9)Ennis
10)Weyman
11)Watmough
12)Creagh
13)Gallen

14)Mason
15)Luke Lewis
16)Glen Stewart
17)Preston Campbell

Thats my wishful thinking team

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
He'll rip anyone in any form of the game.

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sticky, neck up. You cant coach for sh!t anyway so dont be saying who should be picked for Origin.
Actually the last series that NSW won was under Ricky Stuart, and he only coached one series.

1)Dugan
2)Morris
3)Lawrence
4)Tahu
5)Hayne
6)Bird
7)Noddy
8)Brett White
9)Ennis
10)Weyman
11)Watmough
12)Creagh
13)Gallen

14)Mason
15)Luke Lewis
16)Glen Stewart
17)Preston Campbell

Thats my wishful thinking team
Mine would be

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Lyon
5. Lawrence
6. Carney
7. Kimmorley
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. Snowden
11. Lewis
12. Creagh
13. Watmough

14. Gallen
15. White
16. Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Campbell (This guy deserves it more than anyone)

Team those retarded selectors will pick
Gidley
Hayne
Tahu
Idris
Morris
Lyon
Kimmorley
Weyman
Ennis
Mason
Stewart
Creagh
Gallen

Lewis
White
Poore
Hornby

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Actually the last series that NSW won was under Ricky Stuart, and he only coached one series.
and then take into consideration the rest of his coaching career outside those 3 games.

A Flegg premiership that contained a heap of future first graders
A first grade premiership on the back of Graham Murrays recruitment
Lost the world cup and went publically blaming the officials

Some rate him but I cant.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re watching city vs country Idris should be a shoe in way ahead of Tahu.Played ten times better than any centre out there

He had an awesome work rate, looked dangerous ball in hand, defended great and had some very good offloads did not put a foot wrong at all deserves the number 4 jersey.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Given recent form, Idris should be selected in the centres for NSW.

His only question mark is his outside defence, however I think he will cover up fine and should be selected.

adamski007

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Idris will get called up for sure and will definitley be a handful for Inglis all night.
Id go with Idris and Tahu for 3 and 4

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I think if Josh Morris plays this week and has a semi decent game, he'll be picked ahead of Jamal.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
STFU Stuart ... he's still got another year if not 2 before he should be played ... note I didn't say before he CAN play, but before he SHOULD play

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think if Josh Morris plays this week and has a semi decent game, he'll be picked ahead of Jamal.
The trick is Josh Morris having a semi decent game but he wont be picked you could pick Lawrence and its virtually the same the player Idris is right in selection contention because of his size and strength and marking up against Inglis.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Idris is still too raw for SOO. Give him another year before we throw him to the wolves.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If there is one thing we learnt last year about SOO, its rookies don,t make great blues sides, the veteran QLD pack bashed us in game 1 & 2, Jamal should wait this year out and we need him for the club more than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.