Retro Gaming

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Some pretty good games there. Duke Nukem 2 was pretty much as awesome as an action 2D platformer got.

Some other good 2D action platformers include Halloween Harry and Bio Menace.

Halloween Harry:

Bio Menace:

Built an emulationstation front end on my win10 NUC htpc. Roughly 95gb in total. Has:

1. - Roughly 750 arcade roms, basically top games from every genre;

2.Complete Snes and NES romsets;

3. Complete MD and SMS romsets;

4. About 7gb of n64 roms;

with box art and info xml scraped. Have also hooked up my hori rap4 arcade stick [emoji106]

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Built an emulationstation front end on my win10 NUC htpc. Roughly 95gb in total. Has:

1. - Roughly 750 arcade roms, basically top games from every genre;

2.Complete Snes and NES romsets;

3. Complete MD and SMS romsets;

4. About 7gb of n64 roms;

with box art and info xml scraped. Have also hooked up my hori rap4 arcade stick [emoji106]
Bro if you just have Neo Geo roms with that you'll be good to go ;)

BTW where do you get your arcade roms from?

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Bro if you just have Neo Geo roms with that you'll be good to go ;)

BTW where do you get your arcade roms from?
I have a mame arcade rom pack. Roughly 60gb. I then use a batch file to copy the zipped roms i want. Easier than downloading manually from emuparadise etc.

Neo geo - probs only metal slug are decent, but have the arcade roms so no need.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I have a mame arcade rom pack. Roughly 60gb. I then use a batch file to copy the zipped roms i want. Easier than downloading manually from emuparadise etc.

Neo geo - probs only metal slug are decent, but have the arcade roms so no need.
Oh mate there are a stack of awesome Neo Geo roms. Metal Slug obviously is their most reknown game, but others in there like King of Fighters series, Fatal Fury, Aero Fighters etc... games that were practically arcade games on a console. I only realised what I was missing out on until I downloaded the emulator with all the roms. I had a Gamegasm!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh mate there are a stack of awesome Neo Geo roms. Metal Slug obviously is their most reknown game, but others in there like King of Fighters series, Fatal Fury, Aero Fighters etc... games that were practically arcade games on a console. I only realised what I was missing out on until I downloaded the emulator with all the roms. I had a Gamegasm!
Neo Geo had the best fighting games but most of them are also available as Mame arcade roms.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Done many times. I download a rom and when I add it to roms folder, it doesn't appear in the roms list. Obviously I'm missing a step.
There will be a setting in whatever MAME front end you use, that points the program to the roms folder. I assume most ppl use a front end to MAME because its poo without one. I use a front end called Emuloader, which is the best one i thought, and i tried all the available ones. In emuloader once the rom is put in the roms folder, you choose favourite menu, and then enable favorites (this option toggles showing only the ones you set as favorites with the full list of compatible roms available). You find your new one in the list, right click and choose to add to favorites. Then go back up and toggle it back to only show your favorites. I have over 100 roms and my most played one is Gauntlet 2, following by black tiger and Galaga.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I never got into fatal fury.

Aero fighters 1&2 are in my arcade rom collection.

Neo geo pretty much ported their arcade games to the neo geo console 1:1. Most of the neo geo arcade boards were cartridges with jamma boards.

I remember play a run and gun type game similar to metal slug. I dont know its name but it started off as a cartoon type character and the first level you were on a moving train. Any thoughts?

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
There will be a setting in whatever MAME front end you use, that points the program to the roms folder. I assume most ppl use a front end to MAME because its poo without one. I use a front end called Emuloader, which is the best one i thought, and i tried all the available ones. In emuloader once the rom is put in the roms folder, you choose favourite menu, and then enable favorites (this option toggles showing only the ones you set as favorites with the full list of compatible roms available). You find your new one in the list, right click and choose to add to favorites. Then go back up and toggle it back to only show your favorites. I have over 100 roms and my most played one is Gauntlet 2, following by black tiger and Galaga.
I use emulationstation as a front end with retroarch. So much easier than hyperspin.

Wahesh - you need to set your rom directory in mame.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any emulators to put et's rugby league on my phone?

Wahesh

Reaction score

Neo geo pretty much ported their arcade games to the neo geo console 1:1. Most of the neo geo arcade boards were cartridges with jamma boards.

I remember play a run and gun type game similar to metal slug. I dont know its name but it started off as a cartoon type character and the first level you were on a moving train. Any thoughts?
The moving train bit has me thinking Mercs, but I'm not sure that was the first stage. There's also Contra if you want to give that a go or Intrusion 2. Apart from that not really sure.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
How do I do that? In settings I assume?
When mame is loaded up hit tab on your keyboard it should bring up a configure directories menu.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The moving train bit has me thinking Mercs, but I'm not sure that was the first stage. There's also Contra if you want to give that a go or Intrusion 2. Apart from that not really sure.
Def not contra or mercs, i play those though.

Not intrusion 2.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Any emulators to put et's rugby league on my phone?
Yep. Haven't tested it myself but you can get DosBox for android, then you just need the DOS version of ET's

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

If it's cartoon type then it might be Sunset Riders (Wild West setting) or Rush N' Attack

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If it's cartoon type then it might be Sunset Riders (Wild West setting) or Rush N' Attack
Not sunset riders (great game). It would've been a game made in 1992-1995.