Opinion Renters...

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Now to the idiotic greenies in government, by implementing ‘rental controls’ are also going to turn off investors.

less investors = less rental stock on the market

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rent in Wollongong area. There is no chance of me ever owning a house down here. Million dollar houses every where. To get a loan over a million and be able to afford it and live you need income over $300,000 a year. Takes me 5 years to get that

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I rent in Wollongong area. There is no chance of me ever owning a house down here. Million dollar houses every where. To get a loan over a million and be able to afford it and live you need income over $300,000 a year. Takes me 5 years to get that
Well I’d say the main reason why you will never own a home in Wollongong is that loser attitude and narrow mindset. Hopefully you don’t have any kids to poison with that limited mindset

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I’d say the main reason why you will never own a home in Wollongong is that loser attitude and narrow mindset. Hopefully you don’t have any kids to poison with that limited mindset
What is the loser attitude about it? I don’t earn enough money to buy a house in the area I’ve lived for 42 years cause it is expensive. I don’t mind renting, it would be good to own but that’s not an option. And I have no intentions of ever leaving the area to somewhere cheaper. Beach is 2 mins down the road, work is 5 mins down the road.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What is the loser attitude about it? I don’t earn enough money to buy a house in the area I’ve lived for 42 years cause it is expensive. I don’t mind renting, it would be good to own but that’s not an option. And I have no intentions of ever leaving the area to somewhere cheaper. Beach is 2 mins down the road, work is 5 mins down the road.
You’re conceding that you will never own a place in Wollongong yet you are 42 years old so you have had opportunity to get your hands on something, and still there is opportunity to get something. Like you said, it is good to own. But you’re wrong about it not being an option.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Il
You’re conceding that you will never own a place in Wollongong yet you are 42 years old so you have had opportunity to get your hands on something, and still there is opportunity to get something. Like you said, it is good to own. But you’re wrong about it not being an option.
l Just go ask the boss for a $150,000 a year pay rise then hey? He’ll be down with that

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Il

l Just go ask the boss for a $150,000 a year pay rise then hey? He’ll be down with that
Yeah you could of done that 20 years ago you drop kick.

and get real as well mate, you sound like an entitled flog. not many people are able to buy the place they want to live in. People buy elsewhere, interstate and then build their capital over time so that they can eventually end up where they want.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I was talking to a young kid I know and his family are well off. He said he had a girlfriend.. I said where does she live.. he said she lives with her parents in Ashfield but they rent.

straight away do you see red flags? If the parents can’t handle their money woukd they instill good habits for their daughter?

should I tell him to punt the girl if the parents rent?
Depends if they are rentvesting ? You might need to dig a bit deeper bro. Maybe get him to ask for a statement of position from the parents before deciding.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah you could of done that 20 years ago you drop kick.

and get real as well mate, you sound like an entitled flog. not many people are able to buy the place they want to live in. People buy elsewhere, interstate and then build their capital over time so that they can eventually end up where they want.
So I’m a drop kick and an entitled flog cause I rent and don’t have a job paying me enough to buy a million dollar plus house in the area I’ve lived my whole life. Hahaha cool story

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
a million dollar home is the norm in Sydney.. issue with what you said above is by now you should probably have a deposit of some sort.. a bank won’t give you 100% loan..perhaps consider what you do with your money last 20 years..if there is nothing to show, then reconsider what you do with it tomorrow.. gotta put some away to buy.. if Wollongong is too expensive, buy elsewhere like @BELMORE said.. you can stay and rent in woolongong, but buy elsewhere and receive some rent. One day you may be able to sell the other place and buy in woolongong … but a do nothing continue to drink and smoke attitude definitely won’t get you there

if it’s so impossible how can kids grow up and buy a house? They will start with nothing

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People who point to negative gearing as the cause of rising housing costs have no idea.
to negative gear, you have to be making a loss on the property.
In a renters utopia, you get rid of negative gearing and all the landlords give up their properties and flood the market with cheap housing.
in reality, these people believe they’ve worked hard for what they have and won’t give it up. So what will they do? They’ll increase rent to make up the difference.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some of the comments in this thread and the disdain towards renters as being the scum of the earth are absurd. If you own a house, good for you. If you feel the need to patronise those that rent to make you feel better about yourselves, then clearly you have other issues in your life..

As someone who has rented at the one house for 7 years and has always paid on time, maintained the property, never complained to the owner we're now being asked to leave for some reason and have had to move. Finding a place was very stressful, the market is crazy competitive for houses and they're asking for crazy money for places that aren't worth anything near that and already have a million problems before you move in..

Lots of renters with families aren't in a position to buy. If we could have, we would have.. Again, if those that own want to belittle those that don't for no good reason, then good for them. Whatever makes them feel better about themselves. I don't see why hard working people that pay astronomical rent every week deserve to be stigmatised and put down by people that own houses.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I was talking to a young kid I know and his family are well off. He said he had a girlfriend.. I said where does she live.. he said she lives with her parents in Ashfield but they rent.

straight away do you see red flags? If the parents can’t handle their money woukd they instill good habits for their daughter?

should I tell him to punt the girl if the parents rent?
I dated a renter, biggest mistake ever.

Tell him if he wants to ruin his family portfolio then put a ring on her!

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the comments in this thread and the disdain towards renters as being the scum of the earth are absurd. If you own a house, good for you. If you feel the need to patronise those that rent to make you feel better about yourselves, then clearly you have other issues in your life..

As someone who has rented at the one house for 7 years and has always paid on time, maintained the property, never complained to the owner we're now being asked to leave for some reason and have had to move. Finding a place was very stressful, the market is crazy competitive for houses and they're asking for crazy money for places that aren't worth anything near that and already have a million problems before you move in..

Lots of renters with families aren't in a position to buy. If we could have, we would have.. Again, if those that own want to belittle those that don't for no good reason, then good for them. Whatever makes them feel better about themselves. I don't see why hard working people that pay astronomical rent every week deserve to be stigmatised and put down by people that own houses.
Well said.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I own my properties and I agree with you. Like with everything there is good points and bad points with owning and renting. The comments in here attacking renters is poor form.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

100% Nothing wrong with being a renter.. Don’t let some of the negative comments here bother you.. I’m sure some just do it to troll..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I own my properties and I agree with you. Like with everything there is good points and bad points with owning and renting. The comments in here attacking renters is poor form.
That's it man.. There are good and bad landlords and good and bad tenants. That's civilisation for you. All of these generalisations are a joke. The thing is, without tenants renting these properties, a lot of home owners would be fucked. So both parties need one another. There's no reason for such animosity. I'm not jealous or angry towards home owners and landlords. Good for them..

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Well said mate, there are some smug ppl on here without question, i try very hard to ignore a plethora of shitty threads to be honest.
This rates as one and only reason i'm posting to give you a thumbs up I normally cbf.