Remember when... against Penrith Panthers

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I prefer the 2014 Prelim against the Panthers.. Des totally outschooled Cleary as coach.. and our players put in another grest effort after losing Ennis..

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the eighties we used to flog penrith regularly 70s aswell

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the days when the game wasn't fast or boring as shit!

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
St. George? Surely Parramatta and the Roosters have a special place as our enemy ahead of St. George. Even Western Suburbs (Magpies). Most Sydney clubs have rivalries for each other. Teams we don't have rivalries with are teams like Gold Coast, Warriors, Cowboys etc...
Lot of the older boys (60+) hate St George for those 60s-80s battles.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You bet we do.

During their 11 year run which started when i was 2 years old, we never beat them once. Our 1st win against them in my lifetime was the 2nd last round of 1967 when I was 13 and a half years of age. That was the 1st year of the 4 tackle rule, which was specifically brought in to stop their monopoly.

Not only did they win 11 1st Grade comps, but at least half of the reserve and third grade comps as well In that period.

They had depth that you would not believe or have in a salary cap era.

Their secretary Frank Facer was miles ahead of everybody in recruiting. Knew when a player was likely to retire, recruited a young player in that specific position 2 or 3 years prior and the coaches got him ready to step up at the appropriate time to keep the dynasty going. Only the All Blacks could rival them for being organised to that extent.

To knock Saints over in the Preliminary Final 4 weeks later when George Taylforth kicked that monster penalty goal, was the happiest moment of my life to that point.

The hatred I had for them then will never subside.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every bulldog fan remembers Trex's one and only line break lol..
Funny how many players back then were bagged out in the Kennel - Lafai, Brown, T-Rex, Hodgkinson. What wouldn't we give to have that team now?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those old guys who hated St. George for their thugs on the field, and their intolerable fans with their air of superiority.
Some were pretty unlikeable characters. Do you remember the "Skull"? He was a bit of a Nazi skinhead -I had a couple of run ins with him.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm one of those old guys who hated St. George for their thugs on the field, and their intolerable fans with their air of superiority.
Some were pretty unlikeable characters. Do you remember the "Skull"? He was a bit of a Nazi skinhead -I had a couple of run ins with him.
No, but I remember the phantom siren dickhead lol.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You bet we do.

During their 11 year run which started when is was 2 years old, we never beat them once. Our 1st win against them in my lifetime was the 2nd last round of 1967 when I was 13 and a half years of age. That was the 1st year of the 4 tackle rule, which was specifically brought in to stop their monopoly.

Not only did they win 11 1st Grade comps, but at least half of the reserve and third grade comps as well In that period.

They had depth that you would not believe or have in a salary cap era.

Their secretary Frank Facer was miles ahead of everybody in recruiting. Knew when a player was likely to retire, recruited a young player in that specific position 2 or 3 years prior and the coaches got him ready to step up at the appropriate time to keep the dynasty going. Only the All Blacks could rival them for being organised to that extent.

To knock Saints over in the Preliminary Final 4 weeks later when George Taylforth kicked that monster penalty goal, was the happiest moment of my life to that point.

The hatred I had for them then will never subside.
I am sure you are aware but just in case, StGeorge actually paid their players so they didn't have to have full time jobs. When Kevin Ryan as captain coach came to us he was paid as the coach, not as a player or captain. He was also surprised when he arrived that we didn't have a gym like St George had, so he equipped his own.

Will always remain my greatest Berries memory, knocking out St George at the SCG, 2nd row of the old Brewongle stand.

Always a Bulldog

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am sure you are aware but just in case, StGeorge actually paid their players so they didn't have to have full time jobs. When Kevin Ryan as captain coach came to us he was paid as the coach, not as a player or captain. He was also surprised when he arrived that we didn't have a gym like St George had, so he equipped his own.

Will always remain my greatest Berries memory, knocking out St George at the SCG, 2nd row of the old Brewongle stand.

Always a Bulldog
I was in the front row of the little old stand between the Hill and the Bob Stand that is now at North Sydney Oval.

In those days also a lot of Saints players allegedly had the same address as Frank Facer.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes I remember him.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely somebody can find a video or something...

Terry Lamb hill went ballistic... Cops on horses pushing the fans. fans punching horses, cops everywhere. Basically the FREEDOM march on the terry lamb hill.
I don't remember the night been that bad just like the old NSL game.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
I was in the same stand that day, but a bit further back.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No I was only born in 1990, just stories from my old man and uncles on how much they hated that club.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No I was only born in 1990, just stories from my old man and uncles on how much they hated that club.
Yeah Saints were hated big time by all other clubs in those days, and as their winning run escalated their fans became more and more conceited.They were so good a team and I doubt we will ever see a team who dominates for that amount of time ever again.

Most of their players came from their own resources, either from their own juniors, or from Illawarra. There were a few exceptions.

There were residential qualifications in those days so most of the imports they recruited had their nominated address at the home of secretary Frank Facer.

While the game was a lot slower in those days with a 3 yard offside rule and unlimited tackles, I believe great players of any era would adapt to playing in another era if they had access to more modern methods of training and preparation. This is why I get very upset when clubs best ever teams are announced and there is no one on the judging panel who has been around the game long enough to have seen those old time players in action.

At one point the NSWRL put Saints in a mid week match with the Great Britain touring team.

It is highly unlikely in a salary cap era that any team could be that dominant for that long ever again.

It took the 4 tackle rule to bring their run to a stop.

Since that era they have won just 3 Premierships.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah Saints were hated big time by all other clubs in those days, and as their winning run escalated their fans became more and more conceited.They were so good a team and I doubt we will ever see a team who dominates for that amount of time ever again.

Most of their players came from their own resources, either from their own juniors, or from Illawarra. There were a few exceptions.

There were residential qualifications in those days so most of the imports they recruited had their nominated address at the home of secretary Frank Facer.

While the game was a lot slower in those days with a 3 yard offside rule and unlimited tackles, I believe great players of any era would adapt to playing in another era if they had access to more modern methods of training and preparation. This is why I get very upset when clubs best ever teams are announced and there is no one on the judging panel who has been around the game long enough to have seen those old time players in action.

At one point the NSWRL put Saints in a mid week match with the Great Britain touring team.

It is highly unlikely in a salary cap era that any team could be that dominant for that long ever again.

It took the 4 tackle rule to bring their run to a stop.

Since that era they have won just 3 Premierships.
Their Leagues Club was christened "the Taj Mahal" as it was the riches club at the time; and they were the fore runners of the Roosters and Storm, getting around the rules, back when there was no salary cap and players had to have full time jobs to survive.
Players were paid winning incentives, and the Dragons players were practically guaranteed that every week.

They had great teams, and great players; but it was their fans that turned me off. They were so arrogant and so nasty to fans of the teams they defeated, that they often got into fights - particularly with Eels fans, who were very prone to get triggered- in fact Cumberland Oval, and eventually all grounds, had to have barbed wire fences between the fans and the playing field because of Parramatta supporters taking their fights onto the ground.

For all the trouble Dogs fans have been criticised for; they were not a patch on Saints and Eels fans from back then.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Their Leagues Club was christened "the Taj Mahal" as it was the riches club at the time; and they were the fore runners of the Roosters and Storm, getting around the rules, back when there was no salary cap and players had to have full time jobs to survive.
Players were paid winning incentives, and the Dragons players were practically guaranteed that every week.

They had great teams, and great players; but it was their fans that turned me off. They were so arrogant and so nasty to fans of the teams they defeated, that they often got into fights - particularly with Eels fans, who were very prone to get triggered- in fact Cumberland Oval, and eventually all grounds, had to have barbed wire fences between the fans and the playing field because of Parramatta supporters taking their fights onto the ground.

For all the trouble Dogs fans have been criticised for; they were not a patch on Saints and Eels fans from back then.
There is no team I love beating more than Saints. Although I must admit the Roosters are fast catching up to them.