Religious Discussion Thread

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
one for the open minded atheists who don’t just shout words and act like they’ve won an argument. But one for those who actually want to listen to the best arguments from both sides and offer them in a proper civilised debate. Trent horn is a very charitable catholic theologian in regards to debate.

U know bro - thought I'd give it a go. 29 mins - urk but ok - we'll see.

Then in the first point he makes is that 'such mundane ideas as having 12 mates etc. etc. and then he gets crucified and then he's alive a few days later'. Sure - so mundane that I see dead people wandering around on daily basis.

Stopped at the point but 3 mins I lasted. Proud of myself.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
one for the open minded atheists who don’t just shout words and act like they’ve won an argument. But one for those who actually want to listen to the best arguments from both sides and offer them in a proper civilised debate. Trent horn is a very charitable catholic theologian in regards to debate.

1: Ancient Document Double Standard

True... If you believe anything emphatically based on only texts. Most historical documents are believed based on plausibility. It's not a belief that everything written in history is "definitely true", it's just that is plausibly believable. Take Troy for example. There's much written about Troy but it's not plausible to think that Troy existed as written about. Even the stuff that we consider plausible isn't definitive because we don't have actual evidence to corroborate it. So we take it as a plausible possibility that could be wrong. And this is why the History channel has a show about aliens creating humans.

Conclusion: YouTube dude is making a strawman argument. There are atheists who probably make the arguments be claims and those atheists are idiots, but mainly it's a strawman argument. It's like me arguing the flaws of all religions by pointing out that Scientology is crazy

2: God is evil, there is no evil

This is either an argument of deliberate ignorance, or just stupidity. Not trying to insult this youtuber but it's pretty obvious that this is not a double standard as it's not a paradox. Pretty easy to see. If God exists and God commits murder/genocide then Gods actions are objectively evil by God's standards. If God does not exist then God's standards don't exist therefore objective evil doesn't exist.

Conclusion: This is quite simple and anyone who finished primary school should understand why his argument is flawed

3: Bad Christians vs bad atheists

This one is the most simple one. It's 100% strawman. I have never heard a single atheist make this claimed argument. The criticism is not that religion is wrong because there are bad Christians. The point is just that there are bad Christians. And there are bad atheists.

Conclusion: Another strawman creating a non-existed argument then using the old "morality can't exist without God" fallacy

4: Excommunicating atheistic "heretics"

Starts out suggesting that all atheists are anti-theists (completely different), then suggests that all atheists are holding anti-theistic dogma. Again, anti-theists and atheists are two different things.

Conclusion: it's like calling all Muslims "terrorists" or calling all Catholics "Paedophiles". It's lazy hateful bigotry in an attempt to win an argument

4: Christianity is fair game, Islam is off limits

Pushes another fallacy. The belief Christians have that all Muslims are wonderful and all Christians are evil. He even references Handmaidens Tale to suggest that this is what Hollywood does. Attacks Christians. He completely ignores all the movies and TV shows with Islamic terrorists. And then he goes on to suggest that all Muslim countries mistreat women, and that it even happens in countries like Australia and USA on mass

Conclusion: Another Christian arguing that Christians are the most oppressed while also stereotyping another religion

End conclusion: we have a youtuber who posts philosophical stuff that is so easy to break down as:

1) Christian propaganda

2) Wrong

He raises some good points, but most of it is just strawman arguments and whataboutism. And idiots will listen to it believing that he's making an actual solid argument. He isn't though. Any decent debater would make him look like a fool.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Or.. Just listen to the refutations he receives

Btw... Thanks for this. I have been through a pretty shit time the last 24 hours. Reminding me of how stupid people are somehow cheered me up.

Thank you.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

True... If you believe anything emphatically based on only texts. Most historical documents are believed based on plausibility. It's not a belief that everything written in history is "definitely true", it's just that is plausibly believable. Take Troy for example. There's much written about Troy but it's not plausible to think that Troy existed as written about. Even the stuff that we consider plausible isn't definitive because we don't have actual evidence to corroborate it. So we take it as a plausible possibility that could be wrong. And this is why the History channel has a show about aliens creating humans.

Conclusion: YouTube dude is making a strawman argument. There are atheists who probably make the arguments be claims and those atheists are idiots, but mainly it's a strawman argument. It's like me arguing the flaws of all religions by pointing out that Scientology is crazy

This is either an argument of deliberate ignorance, or just stupidity. Not trying to insult this youtuber but it's pretty obvious that this is not a double standard as it's not a paradox. Pretty easy to see. If God exists and God commits murder/genocide then Gods actions are objectively evil by God's standards. If God does not exist then God's standards don't exist therefore objective evil doesn't exist.

Conclusion: This is quite simple and anyone who finished primary school should understand why his argument is flawed

This one is the most simple one. It's 100% strawman. I have never heard a single atheist make this claimed argument. The criticism is not that religion is wrong because there are bad Christians. The point is just that there are bad Christians. And there are bad atheists.

Conclusion: Another strawman creating a non-existed argument then using the old "morality can't exist without God" fallacy

Starts out suggesting that all atheists are anti-theists (completely different), then suggests that all atheists are holding anti-theistic dogma. Again, anti-theists and atheists are two different things.

Conclusion: it's like calling all Muslims "terrorists" or calling all Catholics "Paedophiles". It's lazy hateful bigotry in an attempt to win an argument

Pushes another fallacy. The belief Christians have that all Muslims are wonderful and all Christians are evil. He even references Handmaidens Tale to suggest that this is what Hollywood does. Attacks Christians. He completely ignores all the movies and TV shows with Islamic terrorists. And then he goes on to suggest that all Muslim countries mistreat women, and that it even happens in countries like Australia and USA on mass

Conclusion: Another Christian arguing that Christians are the most oppressed while also stereotyping another religion

End conclusion: we have a youtuber who posts philosophical stuff that is so easy to break down as:

1) Christian propaganda

2) Wrong

He raises some good points, but most of it is just strawman arguments and whataboutism. And idiots will listen to it believing that he's making an actual solid argument. He isn't though. Any decent debater would make him look like a fool.
But at least he can count to five - that says something.

Gave u a love because you just saved me 26mins of my time. Appreciate it.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

1) Christian propaganda

2) Wrong

Didn't watch it but expected it to be something stupid like that

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

1) Christian propaganda

2) Wrong

I loved trents debate with dilahunty.

Why wont he answer the calls to devate Woolford or OConnor?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I loved trents debate with dilahunty.

Why wont he answer the calls to devate Woolford or OConnor?
We all know how the debate will go. The same way the Bill Nye vs Ken Ham debate on the age of the earth went...

When asked what it will take to change their belief:

Ken Ham - "nothing. There's not a single thing that you could produce that will ever make me believe the earth is millions of years old"

Bill Nye - "one single piece of evidence"

That's the difference between science and religion.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

1) Christian propaganda

2) Wrong

1) Christian propaganda
2) wrong
That’s all subjective to your point of view though right? It depends where you’re sitting. So I would why you’re right and he is wrong?
I mean let’s be real you’ve thrown a lot of “what about isms” as have others here lol so I don’t think you’re in a place to denounce someone else of it as in it may be whataboutism but you also use that so what makes it wrong when he apparently uses it and when you use?

The point of this video is to keep everyone consistent. You wanna use whataboutisms as you actually do? Then ok you then can’t denounce someone else for using it lol otherwise you just become a hypocrite lacking any credibility or knowledge on a matter and just jumping at “gotya” moments instead of actually addressing the arguments.

Tv shows and movies these days are especially targeting either directly or indirectly Christian beliefs deny it all you want but everyone who isn’t a radical leftist sees it. How do you compare that to islamists being pOrtryaed as they are which is terrorists? Especially abroad, you’re a white dude that’s probably never been to the Middle East and has probably zero knowldge on what Islamists have done over there lol. I mean hollywood also portrays White Russians as terrorists lol which some were/are. Just like Hollywood portrays some Muslims as good people and some as terrorists.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
1) Christian propaganda
2) wrong
That’s all subjective to your point of view though right? It depends where you’re sitting. So I would why you’re right and he is wrong?
I mean let’s be real you’ve thrown a lot of “what about isms” as have others here lol so I don’t think you’re in a place to denounce someone else of it as in it may be whataboutism but you also use that so what makes it wrong when he apparently uses it and when you use?

The point of this video is to keep everyone consistent. You wanna use whataboutisms as you actually do? Then ok you then can’t denounce someone else for using it lol otherwise you just become a hypocrite lacking any credibility or knowledge on a matter and just jumping at “gotya” moments instead of actually addressing the arguments.

Tv shows and movies these days are especially targeting either directly or indirectly Christian beliefs deny it all you want but everyone who isn’t a radical leftist sees it. How do you compare that to islamists being pOrtryaed as they are which is terrorists? Especially abroad, you’re a white dude that’s probably never been to the Middle East and has probably zero knowldge on what Islamists have done over there lol. I mean hollywood also portrays White Russians as terrorists lol which some were/are. Just like Hollywood portrays some Muslims as good people and some as terrorists.
Most of your post is basically just "Nah you're wrong because I don't want to listen to your point of view"

Seriously. I briefly pointed out the flaws in his argument. Stuff that you can actually verify. And your argument is just "that's your point of view"

Sure, from an existential point of view that the world may not exist and we may all be figments of some person's imagination. But if that's not the case then his strawman arguments are not a "point of view", they are actual strawman arguments.

The rest of your post just proves my point. You're again pretending that Christians are the most oppressed and most vilified in Hollywood and the world while also pushing the usual anti-Muslim rubbish.

Here's the facts:

1) if all Catholics were paedophiles then all children would be victims because there's over 1.3 billion Catholics in the world

2) if all Muslims were terrorists then humanity would he wiped out because there's over 1.8 billion Muslims in the world

Simple math. If you're going to use whataboutisms to attack Muslims and defend Catholics, at least look at the statistics before making yourself look like a basic bigot

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What religion has the hottest most easily influenced females? Asking for a friend.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Most of your post is basically just "Nah you're wrong because I don't want to listen to your point of view"

Seriously. I briefly pointed out the flaws in his argument. Stuff that you can actually verify. And your argument is just "that's your point of view"

Sure, from an existential point of view that the world may not exist and we may all be figments of some person's imagination. But if that's not the case then his strawman arguments are not a "point of view", they are actual strawman arguments.

The rest of your post just proves my point. You're again pretending that Christians are the most oppressed and most vilified in Hollywood and the world while also pushing the usual anti-Muslim rubbish.

Here's the facts:

1) if all Catholics were paedophiles then all children would be victims because there's over 1.3 billion Catholics in the world

2) if all Muslims were terrorists then humanity would he wiped out because there's over 1.8 billion Muslims in the world

Simple math. If you're going to use whataboutisms to attack Muslims and defend Catholics, at least look at the statistics before making yourself look like a basic bigot
Not that I want to debate, but @Realist90 means Hollywood attacks/insults Jesus regularly while they haven't got the balls to insult Mohummad.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If God is the ultimate objective moral standard. And God told you to murder someone. Would that be good?

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If God is the ultimate objective moral standard. And God told you to murder someone. Would that be good?
God would never instruct someone to “murder” someone. You should be well accustomed to “murder” being used incorrectly right? So let’s say you think murdering an unborn baby isn’t murder. You think it’s what? Killing to save another life that isn’t considered murder by state law? Well I would assume the same logic be used here. If God says to kill someone it wouldn’t be considered murdered under his law right?

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
God would never instruct someone to “murder” someone. You should be well accustomed to “murder” being used incorrectly right? So let’s say you think murdering an unborn baby isn’t murder. You think it’s what? Killing to save another life that isn’t considered murder by state law? Well I would assume the same logic be used here. If God says to kill someone it wouldn’t be considered murdered under his law right?
Ok fair.

If God asked you to kill someone. Would you? Would that killing be right?

If he asked you to kill 1000 first sons for example

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not that I want to debate, but @Realist90 means Hollywood attacks/insults Jesus regularly while they haven't got the balls to insult Mohummad.
That kind of makes sense because Jesus is a prominent figure in Western culture, while Mohammed isn't. So basically it's just westerners attacking their own because of relevance.

Attacking Mohammed wouldn't make much sense because most Americans wouldn't even know who the prophet Mohammed is. Instead they just say, "Muslims are terrorists that attack us because they hate American"

Think about it. For every TV show that portrays Jesus is a bad light, there's at least 10 TV shows that portray the "Muslims are terrorists" trope.

Marvel recently made the Ms Marvel TV series with a Pakistani Muslim lead and it confused the hell out of Americans because they couldn't see Muslims as people.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What religion has the hottest most easily influenced females? Asking for a friend.
Not sure but I will say that porn lies to you. When they tell you that Christian women are these hot virgins with pent up sexual energy... It's a complete lie.