REFEREE INFLUNCE "BETTING SECTOR"

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where a lot of people miss the mark is that the ref doesn't have to be blatantly obvious in his work. After half time all he has to do is for 5 or 10 minutes sneak a couple of cheeky 6 agains in - 4th or 5th tackle of course and once the gassing begins it's just natural after that the gassed team gets tired lazy and less attentive on their technique, that is when a team looks worse than they really are and the opposition better than they are.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I used to have a few nrl multis every weekend for years, but the amount of inexplicable refereeing decisions and just the overall effect referees in general have on the momentum and outcome of games was ridiculous. I wouldn't bet on the nrl now with someone else's money

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe The reffs have banded together and are taking multies
If you're laundering money or betting with proceeds of crime,1.05 is awesome, its better than bank interest and the money you'd get back is now "cleaned". There was a reason there was such a massive turnover on races Winx raced in at such short odds

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a lot of the crap that goes on to unconscious bias. There could be many reasons.. racial..social..having read the TAB odds and thinking this is what the outcome is expected to be..and also some refs actually support a team..the list goes on. The only way to combat it is to be so good that the refereeing can’t influence the outcome. Almost impossible to do for us right now.
We should be covering all angles from engagement with the media, bringing refs to our training sessions, community etc and above all playing hard and winning games. Anything that can change or influence the perception of the bulldogs to a positive one is one step better than we are today.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I put a lot of the crap that goes on to unconscious bias. There could be many reasons.. racial..social..having read the TAB odds and thinking this is what the outcome is expected to be..and also some refs actually support a team..the list goes on. The only way to combat it is to be so good that the refereeing can’t influence the outcome. Almost impossible to do for us right now.
We should be covering all angles from engagement with the media, bringing refs to our training sessions, community etc and above all playing hard and winning games. Anything that can change or influence the perception of the bulldogs to a positive one is one step better than we are today.
You'd be naive to think mysterious or contentious refereeing decisions aren't influenced by corruption. Its a lot easier to manipulate or blackmail a referee to get a desired result than it is to pay a whole team or group of players

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have long advocated inviting referees to training sessions to sort out issues.

I'll tell you a story that might interest some. 10 or so years ago my step son and I were coaching in the Sharks juniors. I have lived in the Shire for 12 or so years.

We were having trouble with one particular referee who pinged us repeatedly for the first marker being not square. His interpretation was that the marker had to be a maximum half a metre from the man playing the ball. If he stood too far back he penalised us for beng inside the 10. I see this go unpunished in just about every first grade game.

I invited him to training to try and get a handle on things and comply with his interpretation. Once he found out I was a retired former referee he wanted to go home. Once we got a better understanding of what he required we never had trouble again.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This season overall seems to be the worst yet. The new rule changes have given refs unprecedented control over the game and they quite literally dictate which team wins and which team doesn't.

Going back to our Rnd1 game where we actually led, the refs then decided to give 6 agains to the Knights for the rest of half and none for us. There should be no preconception in the first round of the season as every team starts on 0 points and you have no clue how a team will progress at that point.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
This season overall seems to be the worst yet. The new rule changes have given refs unprecedented control over the game and they quite literally dictate which team wins and which team doesn't.

Going back to our Rnd1 game where we actually led, the refs then decided to give 6 agains to the Knights for the rest of half and none for us. There should be no preconception in the first round of the season as every team starts on 0 points and you have no clue how a team will progress at that point.
You cant even call it a sport anymore because its a joke

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Old mr rugba leeg running the game , known as Teflon Pete when he was running the red hots, from the sale of Harold park (certain govt figures making a nice earn, to a gorilla for a positive swab to go away, to him being very very quiet during the a particular positive in the nrl due to his past, nothing sticks to mr rugba leeg. I like Some of Paul Kent’s views but he will never put the real acid test on the chief, he knows better.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ref only has to give a few cheeky 6 agains on the 4th or 5th tackle early in the second half and that starts the effect. When a team has to defend for about 10 minutes solid it quickly gasses the team and then the rollon effect starts. After that the unfavoured team has trouble getting back onside quickly or getting off the tackled player quick enough thus letting the ref ping them even more and it looks legit. Mr Rugba Leeg knows you don't have to worry about hiding positive swabs when you can tweak the rules and make the results look legitimate.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
the logic is the bookmakers would make much more money on NRL betting if they had a referee in their pocket, they can avoid losing money on multi bets if they had a referee save them in specific situations and then referees would make much more money if they were rigging games

so both parties would be interested in this activity, don't worry about your dumb irrelevant argument that you think the multiple bookmakers would cancel each other out, what has that got to do with anything lol

but thats not all ive got tonight, poker machine venues would make more money if they rigged the machines to pay out less money than they take in rather than letting the spin naturally decide if people should win money, so i think they have rigged the poker machines as well and they are only acting like its real
Poker machines can be dialled up or down to payout something between say 61% and 69% of all revenue put into them. The actual result....how it achieves the payout... is supposedly random....but I'd like to see the program...over how many spins it's meant to achieve the targeted payout value. I agree it's far too easy for a ref to be in the employ of a gambling company. We would never find out.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Poker machines can be dialled up or down to payout something between say 61% and 69% of all revenue put into them. The actual result....how it achieves the payout... is supposedly random....but I'd like to see the program...over how many spins it's meant to achieve the targeted payout value. I agree it's far too easy for a ref to be in the employ of a gambling company. We would never find out.
IIRC, the only thing that can be dialed up or down is when payouts occur in a year.

Basically they have a year to payout their minimum amount, let's say 70%. What you're only allowed to do is determine when that 70% is paid out during the year.

That's why new games appear to payout more, they dial up the machine to hook you, then dial it down IE they program it to pay 80% of the minimum 70% within the first 3 months, then the last 20% will be paid out over the other 9 months.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never understood the TAB/betting conspiracy.

There are refs who hate certain teams, are scared of other teams and some refs who are "homers". But I just don't think refs are influenced by gambling
I agree, nobody actually realises the betting companies set their odds so they can't lose so no matter the result, they win. And if it was so rigged why would they rig the result for the favourite, when most bets would be on the favourite?
I think everybody just needs to realise the refs hate us and every 50/50 call will go against us for a while still and that it has nothing to do with betting companies

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you may be right about the unconscious bias of referees, I remember Greg Heartly actually admitting after he retired that he supported & favored the Bulldogs back in the 80's, I wish he was still around now that we really need him.
1624537006171.png

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think you may be right about the unconscious bias of referees, I remember Greg Heartly actually admitting after he retired that he supported & favored the Bulldogs back in the 80's, I wish he was still around now that we really need him.
View attachment 25678
its natural all the refs love the game and supported a team growing up

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I agree, nobody actually realises the betting companies set their odds so they can't lose so no matter the result, they win. And if it was so rigged why would they rig the result for the favourite, when most bets would be on the favourite?
I think everybody just needs to realise the refs hate us and every 50/50 call will go against us for a while still and that it has nothing to do with betting companies
Like I said, obviously no concrete proof, but it's not about them winning, you're 100% right about that.

I'm more thinking they want to maximising profits and or minimising losses. Their "interpretations" create grey areas to cover any rorting.

PS this isn't just aimed at us/shit teams.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
View attachment 25678
I've heard Hartley talk about this many times. He was a support of both the Bulldogs & the Tigers, but he always said he was harder on them to show that he didn't favour them. He also played for Newtown until he got a knee injury which ended his career.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said, obviously no concrete proof, but it's not about them winning, you're 100% right about that.

I'm more thinking they want to maximising profits and or minimising losses. Their "interpretations" create grey areas to cover any rorting.

PS this isn't just aimed at us/shit teams.
You might be right about the grey areas. I still don't know about actual rorting though.

Have you heard of or used betfair?