Opinion Reed Money well spent

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Paid a visit to the 1eyedeel site to see what they were saying and found this thread lol

View attachment 65125
View attachment 65126
Sour grapes on the menu out that way.

It'll be interesting to see how the Eels and Panthers adapt to losing quality 9's.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People were doubting Mahoney after a down year last year, but I was confident all along that with more responsibility and another year removed from shoulder surgery that he'd go to another level with us.

His kicking game, ability to get out of dummy half, service and vision are a huge upgrade on every hooker we've had since Ennis. Mahoney looked aggressive and busy and I expect him to show a lot more in attack this year now that he's a captain and is freed from having to defer to Moses, Gutho and Brown constantly.
When you say people you really just mean @Critta Magic and @Flanagun dont you?

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sour grapes on the menu out that way.

It'll be interesting to see how the Eels and Panthers adapt to losing quality 9's.
Taken from the 1eyedeel forum:

ExSideKickFebruary 12, 2023 at 11:23pm

He guided them around really well, they looked like a decent football team with Reed providing for them. The eels played a Panthers team who had ONE player from the GF winning team taking part and looked out of sorts.

ExSideKickFebruary 13, 2023 at 2:13am

Hodgson literally played against a reserve grade outfit FFS. There was only one player from the gf winning team who played against the Eels, the rest were reserve graders and kids they're looking to blood.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’ve said this for two years. Our attacked copped a lot of flack and JMK never ever got questioned. His service was atrocious. Our halves would get the ball with the defence right on them and have to rush. Mahoney will get ball to our halves with them on the front foot already. Massive signing.
Yeah, same with our forwards rarely getting much time to get going. You won't see any good team with that type of service from hooker

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Everything starts at hooker, and if your hooker's timing isn't great and service is slow then you're already at a disadvantage to many of your opponents.. Cowboys forwards are a good example, in regards to how much better they look now that Robson has found his groove as a first grader. Reed has just about the best service in the business. Parra dropped the ball big time.
People really struggle to remember how big an influence Ennis had on us. If he didn’t play, we rarely won. The 2014 grand final our team was pretty trash on paper, but if Ennis played, we could’ve won. We had Mbye at hooker ffs.

A good hooker that steers the team is more important than any other position. Parra will really struggle this year.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our best signing by far. Controlled everything in the middle. I love how makes sure he has runners pushing up on either side of the ruck when we are in the oppositions red zone.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve said this for two years. Our attacked copped a lot of flack and JMK never ever got questioned. His service was atrocious. Our halves would get the ball with the defence right on them and have to rush. Mahoney will get ball to our halves with them on the front foot already. Massive signing.
I agree with a lot of what you said and am not in the slightest defending JMK.
However, our forwards need to win more when carrying the ball. They will get great service from Reed, however if they are getting dominated in the tackle, then despite the upgrade it will be difficult for the next man up to make any ground. I hope we get the front row working with TPJ concentrating on just running hard and getting a quick play the ball rather than getting involved in the niggle which always leads to slow play the balls and the next carry getting dominated.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
People really struggle to remember how big an influence Ennis had on us. If he didn’t play, we rarely won. The 2014 grand final our team was pretty trash on paper, but if Ennis played, we could’ve won. We had Mbye at hooker ffs.

A good hooker that steers the team is more important than any other position. Parra will really struggle this year.
For sure.. As many good players Storm had, the key for them was always Cam Smith.. the guy owned almost every game he played in and it's no surprise that since he retired they have lost their ruthlessness to a degree.. Not even Bellyache could coach against him.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haha puns galore! Serious though I’m frothing just thinking about the difference he’s gonna make. With him, the way Ciro seems to have the boys motivated and hardened and Kikau too, fark me it’s gonna be hard to keep a lid on the expectations.
Maybe some of that motivation is coming from Josh Reynolds, too.