Opinion Reed Money well spent

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew he’d improve us, but boy what an impressive debut for the club. Ciro seems to have given him more ownership over how the team plays than he had at Parra, and it’s great for us, because his strength is his reading of the ruck and making the right decision (90% of the time) and his passing is so good! He setup that try from identifying Canberra were short out wide and threw the long pass that was required. If that was JMK he wouldn’t have even noticed, the **** wore blinders!

Can’t wait to see him with a few games under his belt and feeding the ball to Burto, Kiks and T.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew he’d improve us, but boy what an impressive debut for the club. Ciro seems to have given him more ownership over how the team plays than he had at Parra, and it’s great for us, because his strength is his reading of the ruck and making the right decision (90% of the time) and his passing is so good! He setup that try from identifying Canberra were short out wide and threw the long pass that was required. If that was JMK he wouldn’t have even noticed, the **** wore blinders!

Can’t wait to see him with a few games under his belt and feeding the ball to Burto, Kiks and T.
Made all the difference today, he was leading from the front and had willing runners.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Everything starts at hooker, and if your hooker's timing isn't great and service is slow then you're already at a disadvantage to many of your opponents.. Cowboys forwards are a good example, in regards to how much better they look now that Robson has found his groove as a first grader. Reed has just about the best service in the business. Parra dropped the ball big time.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha puns galore! Serious though I’m frothing just thinking about the difference he’s gonna make. With him, the way Ciro seems to have the boys motivated and hardened and Kikau too, fark me it’s gonna be hard to keep a lid on the expectations.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything starts at hooker, and if your hooker's timing isn't great and service is slow then you're already at a disadvantage to many of your opponents.. Cowboys forwards are a good example, in regards to how much better they look now that Robson has found his groove as a first grader. Reed has just about the best service in the business. Parra dropped the ball big time.
Exactly! I was just watching Brisbane vs GC and was watching Paix and thinking, he gives good service but his passes aren’t thrown hard. Those bullet passes Reed throws just gives our forwards an extra step and overall makes our whole play faster. Making it more difficult for defence to counteract and also tiring them out.

The fact we got Reed at this point in his career when he is only just realising how good he can be, is very exciting. He’s only going to get better, but already reads the game very well and his service is elite.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haha puns galore! Serious though I’m frothing just thinking about the difference he’s gonna make. With him, the way Ciro seems to have the boys motivated and hardened and Kikau too, fark me it’s gonna be hard to keep a lid on the expectations.
Lol I went with the pun but mean it, if he can get all our forwards on the front foot far more often and make Thommo more effective too(there is a weapon there, hope he can unlock him)we're winning straight away.
Re said lid though I'm still cautiously optimistic..

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very encouraging signs and seems to really be enjoying the club.

Going to be a real danger, and that vision and pass to setup Okunbor was genius. Deliberately throwns long, knowing that Okunbor may bat it back in field.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People were doubting Mahoney after a down year last year, but I was confident all along that with more responsibility and another year removed from shoulder surgery that he'd go to another level with us.

His kicking game, ability to get out of dummy half, service and vision are a huge upgrade on every hooker we've had since Ennis. Mahoney looked aggressive and busy and I expect him to show a lot more in attack this year now that he's a captain and is freed from having to defer to Moses, Gutho and Brown constantly.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still can't believe Parra let him go.

He's already top tier Hooker in my opinion, but scary thing is be hasn't even reached his full potential yet.
Yeah and sure it was hot af yesterday when Parra played, but I saw nothing from Hodgson to be optimistic about.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t even make the 8. Reed is a huge loss.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I really think the Dogs suit Mahoneys style to a tee.

At the Eels, he was stuck having Moses Brown Gutherson stunting his play as they wanted the ball all the time. Whereas now he is the man and doesn't have anyone holding him back.

His first few seasons at Eels he was killing it leading team around before he had to take a back seat to the other playmakers

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Paid a visit to the 1eyedeel site to see what they were saying and found this thread lol

Screenshot_20230212-220253~3.png
Screenshot_20230212-220128~2.png

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve said this for two years. Our attacked copped a lot of flack and JMK never ever got questioned. His service was atrocious. Our halves would get the ball with the defence right on them and have to rush. Mahoney will get ball to our halves with them on the front foot already. Massive signing.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paid a visit to the 1eyedeel site to see what they were saying and found this thread lol

View attachment 65125
View attachment 65126
Lol I thought he looks quite fit. They obviously haven’t seen his Insta with his shirt off. They’re obviously cut after Hodgsons outstanding debut.