Opinion Pre Season Training

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets face it. The two most important aspects of an NRL team are its spine and middle forwards, on paper the Dogs are close to dead last. Who will play fullback neither Tracey or Taffe look like rhey're capable of challenging the best fullbacks and Crighton looks way better in the centres. Hutchison or Sexton to partner an under achieving Burton in the halves, Hutchison is a career utility or NSW Cup half and Sexton does not have any outstanding qualities in his game to match the best. Middle forwards are bare, King and Curran will start, King is a standard no thrills NRL level prop and Curran has yet to prove that he deserves a regular starting soot. Knight and Sutton are now experienced but mainly played NSW Cup at their previous clubs.
Papali'i might be an option at fullback late this season but not before, there are no other options in the halves unless Rajab suddenly becomes a far better defender or unless Taffe transitions seemlessly back into the 6 or 7 roll. Hughes and Patolo are not boom youngsters, Edwards and Morrin are yet to even earn a top 30 deal and Marshall, Todd, Hayes are yet to enter any serious consideration. Bottom 4 finish, I am pessimistic.
My best hope for this year is that Papali'i shows he could handle NRL, Rajab kearns to tackle and against all odds Hughes and Morrin earn new deals. Plus the NSW Cup side to flourish on the back of Kautoga, Hayes, Todd, Samrani, Rajab, Papali'i and one of Edwards or Morrin.
@dawso047 you provide a good assessment you are right about the two most important aspects of spine and front row. This is something @04 Dreaming has been consistent about. We do need to make that big purchase for those two areas. We missed out on Luai in a two horse race. We had offers and they went astray for a beverage of front rowers. I think we lack a genuine leader.

A team is made up of a lot of balance you mention the spine and props. You also need a mix of workers, juniors and pure club people. We've ripped our club apart and haven't got the balance right.

I hope I'm wrong.

I rate Sexton for the record. The pursuit of Luai means to me there is some doubt about him.

Bluboi

Waterboy
Reaction score
@dawso047 you provide a good assessment you are right about the two most important aspects of spine and front row. This is something @04 Dreaming has been consistent about. We do need to make that big purchase for those two areas. We missed out on Luai in a two horse race. We had offers and they went astray for a beverage of front rowers. I think we lack a genuine leader.

A team is made up of a lot of balance you mention the spine and props. You also need a mix of workers, juniors and pure club people. We've ripped our club apart and haven't got the balance right.

I hope I'm wrong.

I rate Sexton for the record. The pursuit of Luai means to me there is some doubt about him.
I feel you and @04 Dreaming should get a room and sort each other out

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a low act by you. Making a joke out of someone’s death.
@Menteek @Dognacious
Everyone makes mistakes, I made a dark humour post and he used illegal supplements for years, was feeling sick for months and decided to use a sauna which has warnings for heart health. Junkies gonna junkie

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A coach to have a clear vision. Competition for spots is fake news.
How does anyone here have any idea what CC is thinking? He might have a clear vision but He’s certainly not sharing it with TK or any random that asks.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How does anyone here have any idea what CC is thinking? He might have a clear vision but He’s certainly not sharing it with TK or any random that asks.
Hopefully he does.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Got told something from someone in the club who is currently working there.

Drew #7
Xerri & Critta Centres
Fox and Kiraz Centres
Taffe Fullback
Strong Backline.. Taffee at fullback is a no brainer

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Got told something from someone in the club who is currently working there.

Drew #7
Xerri & Critta Centres
Fox and Kiraz Centres
Taffe Fullback
Strong Backline.. Taffee at fullback is a no brainer

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What Bulldogs players does he have?
Hasn't released his team yet. He just talked about a few of the boys and how they were going, most of it was related to SC but still relevant info. Mentioned Hughes and Famasalami as middles. Was pressed for minutes and who was starting but played the "Ciraldo is coach" card lol. A bit of talk about King, Crichton, Kikau, Kiraz and Curran.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hasn't released his team yet. He just talked about a few of the boys and how they were going, most of it was related to SC but still relevant info. Mentioned Hughes and Famasalami as middles. Was pressed for minutes and who was starting but played the "Ciraldo is coach" card lol. A bit of talk about King, Crichton, Kikau, Kiraz and Curran.
That says abit more.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well the coaching staff would have footage available of pretty much every minute of football the recruits and most youngsters have played since they entered a professional system. They've got a better idea of how frequently they all produce the moments we admire on the highlights clips and they don't have to watch it with shit rap music annoying them :unamused:

So they'll have plans in place to improve individual flaws and they'll know what progress each player has made. We (most of us) see snapshots of training. The dedicated fans who make time to get to open training sessions see more, but less than those employed to review it all. Their future relies on getting it right and they'll give the team every opportunity for success that they can. Us fans can either complain or clap really. It'd be nice if we could try our hands at running a team. But most wouldn't want the hard work. Dealing with 30 (38 under the new rules) individuals who need some mental guidance as well as incredible training regimes to be at their best. Ego's aplenty would need nurturing. There'd be jealousy to contend with. I really think there'd be some real stress as a benefits package with the job.

So I have to be comfortable with the decisions that staff make. I'm not a Ciraldo fan boy. I think a lot of what makes a coach successful is the roster and ours is very much improved and he should do better with it this year. Every team would love to pick up a Crichton. Curran is a goer who might be another step towards an aggressive pack. Mann, Taaffe, Hutchison, Tracey, Salmon all give us plenty of options either as starters or off the bench. I could go on. But long story short, I think we're covered for most positions.

If Ciraldo can implement strategies to ensure the two team mates on either side of the prop taking a hit up are also threats, the defence won't dominate our forwards. If we can ball play before the line or pop sensible offloads to switched on support runners, the defence have to reduce how bunched they play instead of lining up three or four tacklers per hit up. It is a big ask to mastermind a strategy that asks a largely untested group of props to become offloading ball players. But if we could pull off a game plan where we could spread the ball wide at any time we might stay in touch with the top 8.
exactly right buddy, I’m just hoping for the sake of us fan we see a positive season compared to last year.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

I hope I'm wrong.

sorry Polly zebra but deadset forwards come first now since we have a comfortable amount of players to cover a range of positions. Move on and focus on 2024 not what potentially we could have did or done.