Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
For me:

• A genuine attacking bomb
  • More set backline plays, set deeper.
  • Set plays aiming to put Thompson into gaps/space

More generally:

• Halves need to work on passing and kicking games.
  • More drawing an passing, and passing at the line when the ball is spread out wide.
  • Backs need to genuinely contest attacking kicks.
  • Less reliance on Graham. As good as he is, he can't do everything.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
More run around plays drawing defenders, Reynolds strength is his running game, but with our current structure he never has the opportunity to catch out isolated defenders, more decoys put in place will ensure Reynolds can back himself and or utilise the speed we will have out wide in 2015.

For years now one of our biggest strengths have been our centres and it won't change next year. Morris and Lafai are two of the best centres running around when in form, we must get them involved more.

The way i believe this can be done is changing the traditional set up of the rugby league attacking structure. If Tony Williams runs an outside line/ decoy infront of Morris who is standing in as edge back row will draw defenders in, with that you either have the option of hitting trex short, hitting Morris out the back and I'm positive in this situation Morris will get someone one on one. I believe this style of play would suit Brett Stewart to a tee as well (if he was to arrive).

Other than that our kicking game needs a massive overhaul, you're 4th tackle is just as important as the 5th tackle and besides setting up for field goals, the team has never really put themselves into a position to threaten the opposition on the last tackle.... Bombs, well placed kicks to the corner.... where have they gone ??? I love our halves we currently have and Mbye but times throughout the year I've missed the grubbers Ben Roberts use to put in for us, yes he was to rocks and diamonds but his short grubber that turns away from the defence is something we need badly imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If there is no threat out the back - Stewart/Inglis/Slater it is very difficult to create 1 on 1 situations or any attacking chances with the ball in hand.

Graham was doing well in the first and second semis, passing before the line. Not sure what happened because against Penrith he started to go into his shell, and against Souths it was non existent. It was as if he got sucked into the bash and barge contest. I did notice however that the service from dummy half wasn't that crisp either so that perhaps that contributed to it.

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Short term: I would like to see the grubber used more offen near the line to gain many repeat sets. I also like to see more of Reynolds side line 20 meter kicks to keep the fullback from attacking and possibly gaining a 40/20. It also stops the team getting 7 tackles.

A decent kick chase would probably do wonders for our team.

Runs from dummy halve and a quick play the ball to get team rolling would be great.

Longer term: Improved backline plays and more use of the ball. We haven't had a decent try scoring record for years. Would like to see someone crack the 20 tries a season again.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Perrett - Has been fantastic, not much to improve on
2. Rona - Run hard son
3. Morris - Once back to full fitness needs to come in and take more runs coming out of our 20m to relieve pressure off our forwards.
4. Lafai - when coming out of our 20m zone tuck the ball under and run hard, dont worry about stepping through and running across field, otherwise been fantastic especially in defense
5. Thompson - Has been fantastic, not much to improve on other than a few kgs of muscle
6. Reynolds - Less sideways running and bulk up the quads to put up proper bombs. Defence slowly improving
7. Hodko - take more control of the game on the 3rd to 5th tackle options once in the opposition half. Needs improvement on attacking bombs, attacking grubbers and cut-out passes
8. Tolman - Been excellent once again and starting to introduce an offload to his game.
9. Lichaa - I expect you to shit out gold nuggets by 2017
10. Graham - Needs Bridge Road in Belmore changed to Sir Graham Road
11. T-Rex - Improved a lot this year though needs to show more aggressiveness in his defence and tackles
12. Jackson - Most improved player and on his way to being the next Dallas Johnson/Trevor Gillmeister
13. Eastwood - Fantastic

14. Finucane - Defense has been great, needs to focus more on ball control and pick the right moments to throw the offload
15. Klemmer - Been great, within a couple of years will be the best prop in the game. his development has been going fantastic
16. Brownne - has been great when coming off the bench. Needs the off-season to fully recover from the surgery and get his confidence back
17. Pritchard - also been great, needs to keep his fitness up during the off season
18. Kasiano - Needs to strengthen his legs and keep his fitness up during the off season, otherwise when he is fully fit and on his game he is unstoppable.
19. Mbye - Future looks bright and his development looks like it is progressing nicely
20. Loko - I hope your injury management is going good as you are a beast when fit
21. Loud Perrett - Game still deveoping

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fullback and wingers to just run fast and straight when returning the ball, instead of dawdling across field then trying a sidestep that never comes off. Every metre gained from the kick return puts us closer to the line for the fifth tackle.

T-Rex to practice chasing the high kick, and timing his jump to leap with hands outstretched and steamroll the opposing fullback. Like Souths did on Sunday. Worst case, he knocks on and we lose the ball, which we'd lose anyway. But the kick return is nullified, and we could score a try.

Forwards to turn their backs in the tackle and look for offloads. Backs to support the forwards when they turn in the tackles.

Stop the niggle and the hold downs. We might actually win the referees' favour.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
More confidence, they boys need to believe in themselves a bit more, they did some fantastic things this year.

Croc

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Involving the backs more would be a start

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fullback and wingers to just run fast and straight when returning the ball, instead of dawdling across field then trying a sidestep that never comes off. Every metre gained from the kick return puts us closer to the line for the fifth tackle.

T-Rex to practice chasing the high kick, and timing his jump to leap with hands outstretched and steamroll the opposing fullback. Like Souths did on Sunday. Worst case, he knocks on and we lose the ball, which we'd lose anyway. But the kick return is nullified, and we could score a try.

Forwards to turn their backs in the tackle and look for offloads. Backs to support the forwards when they turn in the tackles.

Stop the niggle and the hold downs. We might actually win the referees' favour.
We have a thinker on our hands, gentlemen. I like this idea. A lot. It'd give fullbacks like Barba (if he ever plays there, or anywhere again) a lot to think about while waiting for that bomb to come down.

anth2014

Waterboy
Reaction score
I love thompson but dont know how hell retain his wing when chase stanley. Perret hopefully and rona are there . Maybe if we dont buy fullback hell get a shot

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The one where the player touches the big white line under the 2 sticks with the ball
Only about 4 times per game

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I cannot understand the preoccupation with insisting we need a tall fullback or we need to buy a superstar immediately. There is no one on the market who is free next year, so what do we do just continue as we have this year and wait until 2016 in the hope one of those players will sign with us?
Corey Thompson is a fullback and at least deserves a chance to make the spot his own. So many times this year he has taken a bouncing ball in goal and got back into the field of play and more. He has caught bombs, made tackles and strong runs from inside his 20 metres. Billy Slater, Matty Bowen built close to the ground but top fullbacks. On saying this Sammy was solid at the back this year and did all that was asked of him.
We need to stand deeper in attack, put the ball through more sets of hands and have players in motion. Our backs need to hang around players like Frank and Sam K waiting for offloads. Our halves need to get better at directing the side around the field. Our forwards game has become one of yards with very little ball playing, okay at times but sides quickly work you out.
Des had no choice but to work with what he had this year and hopefully his tactics will change to give a bit more variety. At times this year we reverted to the five hit ups and kick on the sixth too many times.
One thing is we will have better depth in the backs and competition for spots and our forwards will have to work hard too. However, Des likes to stay loyal to players incumbent in the side, a bit of a sticking point for fans when players appear to lose form.There is obviously method to Des's madness, perhaps it is just that we cannot see it yet.
No matter what let us hope we will go one better next year and play the type of footy we are capable of.

vietorious

pho-lawless
Reaction score
Support play

Attacking kicks, especially grubbers

Line running (ie Jacksons try against Penrith)

Halfbacks running more

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Less errors in general...Hold the fkn ball! Errors improved this year but happened at the wrong times.
More creativeity from all. Set plays?
Less flat passes going forward unless it's a set play...

We have the effort but lack the x factors. One player won't fixt this!

On a bias note: The fkn refs seem to favour teams!

Status
Not open for further replies.