Plastic Bags being phased out by Woolworths

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dude, I have NO PROBLEM with wanting cleaner oceans - and as a scuba diver, I know that's something that you are passionate about. I'm all for cleaner waters, that is not something I disagree with. I'm saying that stopping plastic bags from being used with your groceries is NOT a solution to the problem. If you read further into the thread, you would know that.

I'm saying that educating people about this when they're in school and when they're young will help. Stopping people from polluting will. STOP PUTTING SHIT IN WATER PASSAGES WILL. I'm talking about the people who use plastic bags for their household waste which makes up what... 0.01% of all plastics in Australia? That's what I'm talking about. By the way, there is still a means to this by buying the bin liners from Coles. The only difference is now we'll have to pay for them. There's another added expense Australian who are already struggling do not need.
Im glad your not as naive as i had thought, but your totally missing the point. There is no way that we will be plastic free in the next 50-100 years. Its just not going to happen. Especially when people cant embrace a change for the good like this.
While i agree that this is first and foremost a way for supermarkets to save money, and personally i think they have a hell of a lot to answer for in regards to their absolutely rediculous use of plastic in their fruit & veg departments as its a fucking disgrace, and an absolute waste!
However the idea of making people use reusable bags is about creating acountability for the individual who shops. Its about changing the mindset bit by bit until people wake the fuck up!
Life was tough 100 years ago, and since then, or even much earlier then this really, we have been doing everything we can to make life more convenient. Sure, we have achieved this, but during this process we have de-evolved in many aspects. Our sense of community has dimished drastically, and sadly our respect for the environment has disappeared almost all together.
We no longer go to the local butcher or the local greengrocer as there is a big shopping mall in every suburb, and the big supermarket chains have all but destroyed any chance of small businesses being able to compete.
Im getting a bit off topic here, but the point is that people have lost sight of whats important. And i fucking detest reading peoples comments on here that bag lefties, or femenism, or greenies etc etc, because clearly these people have lost site of what is important as well. much like our governments.
Yes your right, getting rid of plastic bags completely in Australia will barely make a difference in the plastic waste we produce today, but its a step in the right direction and it should be applauded and embraced, not ridiculed and complained about.
And every time you forget your reusable bags and struggle to carry all of your goods it will sink in more and more about how much you need them, and hopefully at this same time you will begin to realise how unnecessary it was to have disposable plastic bags, and then hopefully you will start to consider how unnecessary other useless plastic items are.
In any case im pretty sure that most people have a bin larger then a football, and therefore they need to buy larger bags anyway.
There is another positive in all of this as well. You felt so strongly that about this that you created a thread with a contrary belief to mine, and now we have discussed the issue and hopefully generated a little bit of awareness on this topic.
I hope some of what i say sinks in a little and you will even try to understand your priorities and even learn to change your priorities.
I wont buy anything that is excessively wrapped in plastic, i use reusable containers whenever possible instead of cling wrap etc, i never use plastic bags, and i generally pick up at least a few pieces of rubbish every day. Imagine the difference it could make to the world if every single person did the same thing?!!!
People are caught up in the mentality of "Im just one person. What possible difference could i make?". Perhaps very little if only one person did it, but if every single person did it then there would be a massive change!!!
It has to start somewhere. And that somewhere is with YOU!!!

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
I bet I’m not the only one who sets out to the supermarket and keeps forgetting to take their reusable bags out of the car boot

Status
Not open for further replies.