Plastic Bags being phased out by Woolworths

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Media coverage bro, media coverage. We never heard much about this shit until those lefties came on board, only from time to time. Then they came along and BANG.
Do you right winger religious conservatives not even care about this planet we live on? Or do you think 'god' is going to magically appear from some burning bush or something and wave some magic wand and everything will cleaned up and it's happy days?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
More artsy fartsy bullshit by the tree huggers, I need these bags to collect dog shit, what am I gunna do now?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Do you right winger religious conservatives not even care about this planet we live on? Or do you think 'god' is going to magically appear from some burning bush or something and wave some magic wand and everything will cleaned up and it's happy days?
I got an idea. Get a helicopter to dump all the bags inside a sleeping volcano. When the volcano erupts, it will vaporise them. It's a stupid idea, but hey, it's an idea.

Mate, it's like you're not even listening to me. Of course I care about the environment, and I love this beautiful country of ours and this beautiful city I live in, however PLASTIC BAGS make up <1% of all plastic contents on Earth man.

Are you on a computer? Your keyboard. PLASTIC! Your mouse? PLASTIC! Your mobile phone?PLASTIC! The chair you're sitting on? PLASTIC! The carpet you walk on? PLASTIC! (Yes, believe it). The paint on your walls? PLASTIC! Your girlfriends French tips? PLASTIC!

PLASTIC! PLASTIC! PLASTIC! IT'S EVERYWHERE. THERE IS NO AVOIDING IT.

Therefore the effect this move will have on the environment is almost non-existent. The only thing this is going to do is get people to BUY plastic bin liners from the supermarket instead of getting them with their shopping. People will still get their hands on plastic bags, one way or another.

Wahesh

Reaction score
If anyone wants to create small change in their local community, feel free to get involved.
https://www.cleanupaustraliaday.org.au/
I got no problem keeping this country clean. What I do have a problem with is IDIOTS THINKING that getting rid of plastic bags will be the end of the problem. LOL... it will just be the beginning of the problem you idiots.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got no problem keeping this country clean. What I do have a problem with is IDIOTS THINKING that getting rid of plastic bags will be the end of the problem. LOL... it will just be the beginning of the problem you idiots.
Do you have any solutions though?

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't litter. How's that?
The plastic bag rort will go the same way as the 10c return glass aluminium and plastic bottles. With limited access to recycle depots people are giving up standing in queues to get the odd 2 to 5 dollars back ands then finding out it cost as much to drive to the bloody depot. Big supermarket chains and the big drink companies have just been making more money as they have added 15 cents to each drink bottle and can. At last count only 40% are going back to recycle depots the rest go into the council recycling bins who in turn send them to recyclers anyway so why did we change this because some dickhead in parliament said so many were being dumped in streets highways.
It will not stop the dumping just cost the consumers more money yet again as will the plastic bag saga.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok, so plastic bags are starting to get phased out by Woolworths that to the hipsters/lefties/vegans etc...

I don't really care about carrying the items home, that's the least of my worries. It's not too much of an effort to carry things in one of those hippies reusable bags. My problem, however... is rubbish

These idiots do nothing but complain about the rubbish bags that end up in the ocean. The plastic bags have a fraction of plastic in them compared to the actual rubbish contents. They only complain about what they see.

So what am I supposed to do with my household rubbish now... go out and buy bin liners instead of getting them with my grocery shopping? It is honestly a pathetic move by everyone involved.
What an absolutely rediculous post!!! How can you not possibly see the benefits of this??!!
Let me give you a few facts. There is enough plastic in the oceans today to cover the earths surface one and a half times. This is just the plastic we know about, and there is no doubt a shit ton more at the bottom.
There are plenty of big pieces of plastic, but the majority of it is what is known as microplastics, pretty self explanatory.
Plastics are made with oils and chemicals, and these microplastics are in turn attracted to similar chemicals and oils in the sea. So all of the agricultural runoff, oil spils, chemical spills etc etc that end up in the ocean and come into contact with these micro plastics attach themselves to the microplastics and in turn are eaten by small fish. The plastics are not absorbed, but the oils and toxic chemicals are.
These smaller fish are then eaten by larger fish which are then eaten by us, therefore slowly poisoning us.
They did a study on mussels stretching the entire atlantic coast of france, and 100% of the mussels tested had traces of plastic in their system. 100%
Plastic has been around for more then a hundred years and in many ways is necessary due to the fact that it is sterile, so is good for packaging food and medicine. However, what we need to change is our reliance on plastic goods we dont need. Be conscious of what we buy in order to reduce the amount of plastic we use. Plastic bags are surely at the top of this list!!!
Most of the developed countries in the world have been plastic bag free for years. Its about fucking time we caught up in Australia!!!
If you cant see this then you are a massive part of the problem, and you really need to have a good think about what is important to you. The convenience of having your goods put in a bag for you, or the inconvenience of having to think, "shit i should probably take my reusable bag".
Plastic bags are a menace in our oceans because they can look like jellyfish which are eaten by many animals like turtles, and palaegic species like manta rays and whale sharks, and even whales. These plastic bags then suffocate and kill these animals. What a needless inhumane thing for us to do!!
A reusable bag, even if made by recycled plastics, that can be used every time you shop for many years is a massive help to this problem.
Sure we also need to phase out other plastics over time, but we need to start somewhere.
As for all of the other plastics you mention, how about washing them and recycling properly?
There will always be plastics in the world, but we really need to prioritise how necessary it is. There are plenty of alternatives.
Add to this that the billions of tons of plastic in the oceans is also worth billions of dollars in recycled items. this is money that companies are allowing to slip through their hands.
We already have people smart enough, and passionate enough about the environment in the world today that have already invented and started implementing immense ocean clean up solutions which will in the long run be funded by the money made from the plastics collected and recycled.
Its a no brainer. Recycle what you absolutely have to use, and dont use the rediculous amount of shit you dont need. Like straws for example. 500 000 000 straws are made each and every day which are then used for about 5 or 10 mins, sometimes two at a time just because, and then thrown away.

YOU PROBABLY WONT EVEN BOTHER TO READ THIS POST BECAUSE ITS TOO LONG. JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HOW LAZY, IGNORANT AND CARELESS HUMANITY IS TODAY.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Beat me to it

I detest the fresh produce wrapped in plastic
Me too. But until we change the way people think in regards to the use of plastics, and then stop buying things wrapped in plastic this wont change.
Hopefully phasing out plastic bags is a start. But blaming supermarkets is just a cop out. We all make choices on what we buy, so we can all chose to buy things that are not wrapped in plastic. Try things like instead of buying a big bag of small bags of chips, buy a big bag of chips for less, and then put them in a reusable plastic container to take to work or give your kids for lunch.
We need to change the way we think.

Wahesh

Reaction score
What an absolutely rediculous post!!! How can you not possibly see the benefits of this??!!
Let me give you a few facts. There is enough plastic in the oceans today to cover the earths surface one and a half times. This is just the plastic we know about, and there is no doubt a shit ton more at the bottom.
There are plenty of big pieces of plastic, but the majority of it is what is known as microplastics, pretty self explanatory.
Plastics are made with oils and chemicals, and these microplastics are in turn attracted to similar chemicals and oils in the sea. So all of the agricultural runoff, oil spils, chemical spills etc etc that end up in the ocean and come into contact with these micro plastics attach themselves to the microplastics and in turn are eaten by small fish. The plastics are not absorbed, but the oils and toxic chemicals are.
These smaller fish are then eaten by larger fish which are then eaten by us, therefore slowly poisoning us.
They did a study on mussels stretching the entire atlantic coast of france, and 100% of the mussels tested had traces of plastic in their system. 100%
Plastic has been around for more then a hundred years and in many ways is necessary due to the fact that it is sterile, so is good for packaging food and medicine. However, what we need to change is our reliance on plastic goods we dont need. Be conscious of what we buy in order to reduce the amount of plastic we use. Plastic bags are surely at the top of this list!!!
Most of the developed countries in the world have been plastic bag free for years. Its about fucking time we caught up in Australia!!!
If you cant see this then you are a massive part of the problem, and you really need to have a good think about what is important to you. The convenience of having your goods put in a bag for you, or the inconvenience of having to think, "shit i should probably take my reusable bag".
Plastic bags are a menace in our oceans because they can look like jellyfish which are eaten by many animals like turtles, and palaegic species like manta rays and whale sharks, and even whales. These plastic bags then suffocate and kill these animals. What a needless inhumane thing for us to do!!
A reusable bag, even if made by recycled plastics, that can be used every time you shop for many years is a massive help to this problem.
Sure we also need to phase out other plastics over time, but we need to start somewhere.
As for all of the other plastics you mention, how about washing them and recycling properly?
There will always be plastics in the world, but we really need to prioritise how necessary it is. There are plenty of alternatives.
Add to this that the billions of tons of plastic in the oceans is also worth billions of dollars in recycled items. this is money that companies are allowing to slip through their hands.
We already have people smart enough, and passionate enough about the environment in the world today that have already invented and started implementing immense ocean clean up solutions which will in the long run be funded by the money made from the plastics collected and recycled.
Its a no brainer. Recycle what you absolutely have to use, and dont use the rediculous amount of shit you dont need. Like straws for example. 500 000 000 straws are made each and every day which are then used for about 5 or 10 mins, sometimes two at a time just because, and then thrown away.

YOU PROBABLY WONT EVEN BOTHER TO READ THIS POST BECAUSE ITS TOO LONG. JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HOW LAZY, IGNORANT AND CARELESS HUMANITY IS TODAY.
Dude, I have NO PROBLEM with wanting cleaner oceans - and as a scuba diver, I know that's something that you are passionate about. I'm all for cleaner waters, that is not something I disagree with. I'm saying that stopping plastic bags from being used with your groceries is NOT a solution to the problem. If you read further into the thread, you would know that.

I'm saying that educating people about this when they're in school and when they're young will help. Stopping people from polluting will. STOP PUTTING SHIT IN WATER PASSAGES WILL. I'm talking about the people who use plastic bags for their household waste which makes up what... 0.01% of all plastics in Australia? That's what I'm talking about. By the way, there is still a means to this by buying the bin liners from Coles. The only difference is now we'll have to pay for them. There's another added expense Australian who are already struggling do not need.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I get it - if you use 1 bag instead of 10, you are making a difference (or a coffee cup, straw etc).

But a lot of the above talk about the oceans isn't the fault of the plastic bag, it's the fault of people who litter/don't dispose properly.

Whilst I use the 99 cent jobs at Aldi usually, when going to Coles or Woolies to grab a couple of things, or another retailer, I will get a plastic bag, and very rarely does it not make its way to being a bin liner.

Last edited:

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I always found Coles/Woolies bags way too small for rubbish at home, so I have bought bin liners for years.

When we go to Aldi I go and get a decent sized box by rearranging some of their stock and use that to carry my shopping into my house. It is win win, less plastic and Aldi have less boxes to dispose of.

Coles and Woolies need to have similar options. Simply making people buy reusable bags isn't the option. Most of those heavy duty reusable bags end up in landfill anyway and they never breakdown. Plus people forget to bring them anyway and end up buying more. Give us boxes or supply some other biodegradable option like paper bags.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I always found Coles/Woolies bags way too small for rubbish at home, so I have bought bin liners for years.

When we go to Aldi I go and get a decent sized box by rearranging some of their stock and use that to carry my shopping into my house. It is win win, less plastic and Aldi have less boxes to dispose of.

Coles and Woolies need to have similar options. Simply making people buy reusable bags isn't the option. Most of those heavy duty reusable bags end up in landfill anyway and they never breakdown. Plus people forget to bring them anyway and end up buying more. Give us boxes or supply some other biodegradable option like paper bags.
Bunnings does this well

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Me too. But until we change the way people think in regards to the use of plastics, and then stop buying things wrapped in plastic this wont change.
Hopefully phasing out plastic bags is a start. But blaming supermarkets is just a cop out. We all make choices on what we buy, so we can all chose to buy things that are not wrapped in plastic. Try things like instead of buying a big bag of small bags of chips, buy a big bag of chips for less, and then put them in a reusable plastic container to take to work or give your kids for lunch.
We need to change the way we think.
Hey he fresh beans were all out at coles
They only had pre packaged beans on the shelf

I literally ripped open the plastic box and grabbed half the amount from the pre packaged box

Cause that’s all I wanted

Fuck em and their waste of plastic and over priced goods

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Officially started disappearing from Woolworths and charging people 15c for an Aldi style plastic bag LOL..

:( :( :( Farewell grey garbage warriors... I'll miss you :(

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@flamebouyant

@Wahesh issue is that he thinks this is supposed to be a definitive answer to pollution but a 5 year old child can see that’s not what it’s supposed to be... phasing our plastic bags is changing people’s mindset and educating them about plastics, waste management and recycling. You can’t just fix the problem, impossible and will forever be impossible. Need to change mindset of society. Wahesh doesn’t really think deeper than the surface, and surface level thinking = surface level results.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Wahesh doesn’t really think deeper than the surface, and surface level thinking = surface level results.
It's funny you should say that, because some might say the removing shopping bags from the supermarkets is the surface level thinking. I'm going deeper than that. The problem isn't plastic bags. The problem is plastic bags ending up in the ocean.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
What rhymes with plastic bag???????

Spastic *** :grinning:

Ok I’ll show my self out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.